Last post by blackzc
Yesterday 04:48 PM
7 Replies, 543 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-22-2017, 09:38 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Alien: Covenant Bursts Out with a $36 Million Weekend Opening

Alien: Covenant edged out Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 in a weekend space battle at the box office, Ridley Scott's latest Alien exploit opened with $36 million in ticket sales, Guardians was close behind with just over $35 million in its third week of release.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weeekend of May 19th to May 21st, 2017.
  1. Alien: Covenant $36.0/$36.0
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 $35.0/$301.7
  3. Everything, Everything $12.0/$12.0
  4. Snatched $7.6/$32.7
  5. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul $7.2.$7.2
  6. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword $6.8/$27.2
  7. The Fate of the Furious $3.1/$219.8
  8. The Boss Baby $2.8/$166.1
  9. Beauty and the Beast $2.4/$497.7
  10. How to be a Latin Lover $2.2/$29.4
  11. Lowriders $1.1/$4.1
  12. Gifted $.765/$22.8
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
GinRummy
Evil Dead

So are the pundits saying these are expected opening numbers or failure numbers? Just barely beating a movie that's in it's third week is not good, but I don't think it was supposed to be a blockbuster of the GotG level either. I've heard mixed reviews but will probably watch it when it hits DVD.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

If you enjoy the Alien formula, then you'll enjoy this film. If you enjoy sci-fi, you'll enjoy this film. If you're looking for a new take on an old series, then this probably isn't for you. I enjoyed it, but it left me wanting more in the way of explanations and plot development regarding the engineers and David.

A theatrical viewing isn't necessary. DVD or streaming would be wholly acceptable in my view.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
If you enjoy the Alien formula, then you'll enjoy this film. If you enjoy sci-fi, you'll enjoy this film. If you're looking for a new take on an old series, then this probably isn't for you. I enjoyed it, but it left me wanting more in the way of explanations and plot development regarding the engineers and David.

A theatrical viewing isn't necessary. DVD or streaming would be wholly acceptable in my view.
I really enjoyed it. Although it didn't have the suspense of Alien or the action of Aliens, it still kept me interested and it managed to go through multiple stages without ever getting bogged down. The cgi was incredible for the aliens. They looked amazing and their articulation was so realistic. I'll definitely watch it again on Blu-ray.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
wunshot
Subscriber

BTW, my expectations were really low since it had so many (unjustified) early bad reviews.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #6
bub64882
Evil Dead

Are the characters incredibly fucking dumb, like Prometheus?
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:52 AM   #7
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bub64882 View Post
Are the characters incredibly fucking dumb, like Prometheus?
Yes, outside of Fassbender’s David/Walter, the characters continue to do stupid shit. Such as leaving each other locked in a room with an alien for no good reason. Or how about being a couple hundred yards away from an attack on your friends & standing there staring at a fire instead of going over to help out.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:11 AM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead

There's always some idiot running into something or slipping and falling, as well. I know people get panicky in stressful situations, but this is a recurring excuse in horror (yes, there are elements of horror in this sci-fi film) films to make things even worse for characters and to increase the plausibility of stupid behaviors.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:32 AM   #9
HB_IKE
Evil Dead

I did like the movie ... but it always feel like I have no idea if I was supposed to have understood more about the engineers or they aren't really enough hints.

Like the deleted scene from Prometheus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLgw0jeu_-c
HB_IKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #10
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Most of the people that I work with, especially in the factory, haven't actually run for years. They would fall over. They just would.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #11
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
Yes, outside of Fassbender’s David/Walter, the characters continue to do stupid shit. Such as leaving each other locked in a room with an alien for no good reason. Or how about being a couple hundred yards away from an attack on your friends & standing there staring at a fire instead of going over to help out.
And walking around outside on an alien planet without helmets not checking for airborne viruses and whatnot. Then would ya believe it that's exactly how the infection starts.

The movie should have followed the Robinson Crusoe on Mars angle where the only two characters are David and Shaw. Every new character is throwaway garbage. I can't remember any lines or even a name. The baby puppet xenomorph was hilarious. The breakneck pace on which they move the story along is even worse than Prometheus. People's husbands and wives are dying around them and it pulls an Indepedence Day where they laugh it up minutes later. It's baffling to me how anyone can enjoy this after watching Alien and Aliens. Even Alien 3 is far more enjoyable. Honestly it is about even with Alien Resurrection and that's how it will be remembered. Where Resurrection was tongue in cheek bad, Covenant is just frustratingly bad.

One last thing, Alien Covenant has failed to equal or surpass the opening weekend of Prometheus and needs at least $110 million to break even.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #12
Sinistar
Evil Dead

Had a few reliable friends warn me away from seeing Alien Covenant, especially after the train wreck that was Prometheus, I was happy to oblige.

Did the same thing with X-Men Apocalypse last year and haven't regretted that decision either
Old 05-22-2017, 06:05 PM   #13
Primus
Valar Morghulis

It suffered from a lot of the same problems that Prometheus did. Both movies have a good broad, core concept, but the the one good scenefrom each movie is unfortunately surrounded by a bunch of incredibly dumb scenes. Also, both writers and Ridley Scott are incapable of justifying a feature film around said concepts.

This film pretty much severs any real overarching narrative advancement for Prometheus too.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:12 PM   #14
GinRummy
Evil Dead

Just saw this quote in Entertainment Weekly: "Good news: the aliens got smarter. Bad news: the humans didn't."
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:48 PM   #15
Mephistopheles
Evil Dead

Prometheus started well, and then devolved into nonsense. I found it even more disappointing after reading the original script - not sure why they changed it for the worse. Pretty much killed the positive expectations I had for these films.

After a friend saw Covenant and pretty much confirmed as much - and this friend didn't dislike Prometheus as much I did - I'll wait until it hits some form of home distribution.
Mephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:28 PM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

You all have no soul. You'd sit in a restaurant and deconstruct a damn fine steak while I sat there eating and enjoying it. Man am I glad I don't go to movies with any of you lot, lol. It wasn't perfect, but it was enjoyable and it was more Aliens. Win.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:53 PM   #17
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
You all have no soul. You'd sit in a restaurant and deconstruct a damn fine steak while I sat there eating and enjoying it. Man am I glad I don't go to movies with any of you lot, lol. It wasn't perfect, but it was enjoyable and it was more Aliens. Win.
Was about to say something similar. It had its flaws, but I never once was looking at my watch wondering how much time was left in it. Fassbender was really good in it, and I went from hating that main character chick in the beginning to liking her by the end. I wish Franco would have been in it a bit more, but oh well....
Old 05-22-2017, 09:07 PM   #18
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

I really enjoyed it. And whoever was complaining about locking someone in a room with an alien, it's called a quarantine. They were trying to stop it or the disease (they didn't know what it was) from getting out. You kidding me? The movie was badass, beautiful, and better than Prometheus.

It also has a 72% on Rotten Tomatoes, same as Prometheus.

Can't wait for the next one. It's nice to have well made, well acted horror sci-fi. It was awesome how they connected it to Prometheus, I look forward to seeing how it eventually connects to Alien.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #19
AkumaATR
Jaded Developer

Quote:
Agree completely. I assumed Evil was wrong after reading a bunch of harsh reviews, but nah -- people are just going in expecting some kind of cinematic masterpiece on the level of Alien, I guess. If you enjoy sci-fi movies with a real budget, or some of the concepts from Prometheus, or anything aliens without being too critical, you'll enjoy it.
AkumaATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:10 PM   #20
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

Alien is my favorite movie of all time, so if I thought this movie was shitting on its legacy or in some way reflecting bad on the franchise I'd be pissed. But nah, the movie was badass and I will buy it and watch it many times.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote