Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
NIS America President...
Last post by GinRummy
Today 10:08 PM
11 Replies, 581 Views
Ben Affleck Groping...
Last post by SpectralThundr
Today 09:28 PM
117 Replies, 16,448 Views
Warhammer: Vermintide 2...
Last post by Male Chauvinist
Today 09:27 PM
7 Replies, 609 Views
The Young Han Solo Movie...
Last post by Terran
Today 08:03 PM
21 Replies, 1,183 Views
Wolfenstein II Launch...
Last post by blackzc
Today 04:31 PM
7 Replies, 776 Views
New Overwatch Patch...
Last post by LostToys
Today 02:40 PM
2 Replies, 507 Views
EA Shuts Down Visceral,...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 01:32 PM
21 Replies, 1,393 Views
Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by Chimpbot
Today 01:08 PM
8 Replies, 878 Views
» Promotion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2017, 08:25 AM   #21
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,326
Hey Terran - question.



Chimpbot has a + next to his name on my list, I'm guess being hes tagged as a friend. You have an asterisk next to your name. What does that mean?
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:44 AM   #22
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,171
I have no idea. Maybe we can ask a family doctor! They can't kill us with that kind of question, can they?
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #23
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 7,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I have no idea. Maybe we can ask a family doctor! They can't kill us with that kind of question, can they?
I'm betting it's part of a hidden Nemesis System or something.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #24
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I have no idea. Maybe we can ask a family doctor! They can't kill us with that kind of question, can they?
No idea, but I'll check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I'm betting it's part of a hidden Nemesis System or something.
I thought * = hunky, dashing, fair and balanced, and loves Nintendo. After seeing it next to Terran's name, it all but confirms my theory.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:56 AM   #25
timmyd
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 304
It's known among people who like vertical expanses of rock that hanging in a harness for a long time can cause death when the harness is suddenly removed. (Unless precautions are taken). Essentially a pool of toxic blood builds up somewhere and when suddenly released does really bad things. I saw a guy collapse after removing a harness - the harness hadn't even hit the ground (he was ok, came to after a few seconds )

A healthly rested body would probably handle this better. If highways were built like your cirulatory system, whenever traffic slowed down the highway muscles would squeeze to adjust the traffic flow to prevent a standing jam.

A tired body in poor shape wouldn't have these options.

Eh, not a doctor so just my thoughts.
timmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:28 AM   #26
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 31,344
Blog Entries: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Hey Terran - question.



Chimpbot has a + next to his name on my list, I'm guess being hes tagged as a friend. You have an asterisk next to your name. What does that mean?
I think it means that only other Subscribers will see that he is online.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #27
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I think it means that only other Subscribers will see that he is online.
Makes sense, thanks Evil.

__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:44 PM   #28
screwyluie
Evil Dead
 
screwyluie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Your statement was anecdotal and I'm not calling you a liar. It's not reliable information because it's based on a personal account. Again, one doctor made one statement about one patient. It's anecdotal information.

Re-read that definition; your statement is wholly anecdotal. This doesn't make you a liar.



I guess we took two very different things from the article, then. I took it as an indictment of the "streamer culture" and the shit they put themselves through to earn a living. Nobody is directly blaming sleep deprivation for this death; it's symptomatic of a far larger issue and drastically exacerbated the situation.

You claim you're not saying sleep deprivation isn't a big deal...but you brush it aside with an anecdote about how you'd have extended periods with little to no sleep, effectively saying it's not a big deal. You made it through okay, so it must be fine...right? Your family practitioner said you'd probably be fine, so it must be okay...right?

Sleep deprivation is a big deal. It likely directly contributed to - but was not the precise cause - of this man's death. I don't care what your primary care physician said; there is plenty of research supporting the notion that sleep deprivation negatively impacts your health in immediately noticeable ways. Regardless of what you're trying to say now, you were clearly trying to brush it off as a non-issue.
anecdotal is a lack of research and is only personal account of personal experience. So unless you're going to call me a liar and say that my personal account of my research is false, then it is not anecdotal because I did research. I talked to a doctor. I really like the part where you attempt to further downplay my position without actually calling me out. if you go back and read he agrees it's not good but without another existing condition to exacerbate it will not kill you or add any long term negative conditions. I was brushing off the idea that it kills. are we going to continue this dance?

tl;dr lack of sleep doesn't kill, I did some reasearch and a guy who has a lot of schooling and a degree said so.
__________________
2017 MWC
2017 GDC
2017 PAX East
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #29
Wolfe
Soul Reaper
 
Wolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
It's just more bullshit reporting by people who don't know wtf they're talking about but are looking to stir up some viral attention.
In one sentence, you have just summed up 90% of modern western society. If I had the power to give out Pulitzer prizes you sir would be top of the list.
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:43 PM   #30
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 7,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
anecdotal is a lack of research and is only personal account of personal experience. So unless you're going to call me a liar and say that my personal account of my research is false, then it is not anecdotal because I did research. I talked to a doctor. I really like the part where you attempt to further downplay my position without actually calling me out. if you go back and read he agrees it's not good but without another existing condition to exacerbate it will not kill you or add any long term negative conditions. I was brushing off the idea that it kills. are we going to continue this dance?

tl;dr lack of sleep doesn't kill, I did some reasearch and a guy who has a lot of schooling and a degree said so.
Asking one doctor isn't doing research; it's asking the opinion of one person. Your information is anecdotal.

I'm not calling you a liar; I believe you spoke with one doctor about your own personal actions and/or habits. This doesn't make it inherently meaningful, because it's a single account based on a single opinion about a single case.

You, your doctor and your "research" aren't really correct or accurate. The folks at Harvard seem to overwhelmingly disagree, at any rate. Sleep deprivation leads to a host of health problems.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front

Last edited by Chimpbot; 03-16-2017 at 04:52 PM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #31
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 7,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
In one sentence, you have just summed up 90% of modern western society. If I had the power to give out Pulitzer prizes you sir would be top of the list.
So, you'd give him a Pulitzer for making an anecdotal statement based solely on his own personal experience and a singular statement made by one doctor, based on one patient?

Sounds legit.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:20 PM   #32
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyloose
I talked to a doctor.
Somebody, give this man A COOKIE!

One doctor on the dangers of sleep deprivation.

LOL@doctors. Third leading cause of death in America. Educated idiots.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:27 PM   #33
Wolfe
Soul Reaper
 
Wolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
So, you'd give him a Pulitzer for making an anecdotal statement based solely on his own personal experience and a singular statement made by one doctor, based on one patient?

Sounds legit.
If you actually read the specific section of his post that I quoted instead of just jumping up and screaming your opinion loudly for the 3rd time this thread... you might not have just acted in the manner that the quote describes.
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:00 AM   #34
Rommel
International Playboy
 
Rommel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,068
screwyluie is giving an anecdotal account of his individual health and the opinions of those he has spoken to on the subject. No one is calling him a liar and he is FLIPPING OUT because he doesn't understand the term entirely, even after Googling the definition. This. This is great. I enjoy this.
__________________
Quotes in context.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:43 AM   #35
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,326
Okay, well. Regardless of whether a singular doctor said so or not, my own personal experience in my 32 years of existence is that I've never heard of anyone suffering death from staying up for 22 hours, even if you do it a handful of times through out a month. Im guessing he didnt do Make-A-Wish fundraisers every day.

But there are easy NON-GAMING (there of course is an attempt to turn this into a video game related issue when it's not directly that, simply because he was playing video games at the time, and it's an easy target for moms and dads and people with pitchforks) concerns to look at outside of this. Sitting for very long periods regularly, many doctors I've even personally heard claim, is very unhealthy. Truckers and some office workers often have moderate to severe health issues when sitting all day. So my questions would start there. How long does he sit on average per day? This can lead to many problems including heart problems. I myself have had shitty health problems from working too many hours sitting in my office.

And we don't get a full picture of what could possibly have happened even if we know how much he did sit during the day. There a bunch of other factors. Did he have any other health issues? Did he have any unknown or undisclosed health issues?

I'm not a doctor - But my mind would first go to how much he was sitting daily, but my guess is that it's more likely related to something else. An existing issue. The last thing I would suspect at all would be sleep deprivation.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:17 AM   #36
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 7,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
If you actually read the specific section of his post that I quoted instead of just jumping up and screaming your opinion loudly for the 3rd time this thread... you might not have just acted in the manner that the quote describes.
I did read it; you placed higher value in his anecdotal evidence than an article that was more of an indictment of the professional streaming lifestyle than anything else.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:25 AM   #37
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 7,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Okay, well. Regardless of whether a singular doctor said so or not, my own personal experience in my 32 years of existence is that I've never heard of anyone suffering death from staying up for 22 hours, even if you do it a handful of times through out a month. Im guessing he didnt do Make-A-Wish fundraisers every day.
Like I (and the original article) have been saying, this wasn't a singular incident. He streamed regularly, which likely involved numerous longwinded sessions.

His lifestyle - coupled with sleep deprivation - did him in. It wasn't this single instance. Nobody claimed it was, not even the original article.

Quote:
But there are easy NON-GAMING (there of course is an attempt to turn this into a video game related issue when it's not directly that, simply because he was playing video games at the time, and it's an easy target for moms and dads and people with pitchforks) concerns to look at outside of this. Sitting for very long periods regularly, many doctors I've even personally heard claim, is very unhealthy. Truckers and some office workers often have moderate to severe health issues when sitting all day. So my questions would start there. How long does he sit on average per day? This can lead to many problems including heart problems. I myself have had shitty health problems from working too many hours sitting in my office.
If anything, this is raising awareness about the shit people put themselves through to gain an audience while trying to earn some sort of a living via streaming. Nobody is blaming gaming.

Quote:
And we don't get a full picture of what could possibly have happened even if we know how much he did sit during the day. There a bunch of other factors. Did he have any other health issues? Did he have any unknown or undisclosed health issues?
Certainly, there are a ton of factors and variables at play. We don't have the full picture.

Quote:
I'm not a doctor - But my mind would first go to how much he was sitting daily, but my guess is that it's more likely related to something else. An existing issue. The last thing I would suspect at all would be sleep deprivation.
I would suspect he likely pulled many lengthy sessions filled an overabundance of stimulants, such as caffeine and nicotine. Long-term sleep deprivation can, however, lead to premature death...especially if there are preexisting conditions.

The sleep deprivation itself won't kill you. It's everything it exacerbates and compounds that kills you.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:40 AM   #38
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Like I (and the original article) have been saying, this wasn't a singular incident. He streamed regularly, which likely involved numerous longwinded sessions.

His lifestyle - coupled with sleep deprivation - did him in. It wasn't this single instance. Nobody claimed it was, not even the original article.



If anything, this is raising awareness about the shit people put themselves through to gain an audience while trying to earn some sort of a living via streaming. Nobody is blaming gaming.



Certainly, there are a ton of factors and variables at play. We don't have the full picture.



I would suspect he likely pulled many lengthy sessions filled an overabundance of stimulants, such as caffeine and nicotine. Long-term sleep deprivation can, however, lead to premature death...especially if there are preexisting conditions.

The sleep deprivation itself won't kill you. It's everything it exacerbates and compounds that kills you.
Yah, that makes sense to me. Sitting all the time, caffeine and nicotine fueled sleep deprivation continually. None of that is really healthy. And who knows if he had any other conditions that would have been amplified by this behavior. I cite sitting all day on frequent days, because ive first hand seen that cause a lot of problems, but couple that with everything else - its not exactly a healthy lifestyle.

But when I said someone would "blame gaming" what I meant was that someone (a news website or an anti games activist) would try to turn this into a direct gaming related issue. Not anyone here, or not anyone with sense. I could be wrong, but that's usually how things go. And even the thread's title "Gamer's Death Pushes Risks of Live Streaming Into View". I don't think it's a risk of live streaming directly. It's a risk of a very unhealthy lifestyle with a lot of sitting, (often not balanced with active days) a lot of caffeine, and not a lot of sleep. Streaming and that unhealthy lifestyle are not mutually tied together. Again, I'm not a doctor, but if you "live stream" maybe once or twice a week for a handful of hours, but balance that with activity, normal sleep, a diet that is more balanced than chips, pizza, red bull, and coffee, etc, it'll probably be a non-issue.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #39
screwyluie
Evil Dead
 
screwyluie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Asking one doctor isn't doing research; it's asking the opinion of one person. Your information is anecdotal.

I'm not calling you a liar; I believe you spoke with one doctor about your own personal actions and/or habits. This doesn't make it inherently meaningful, because it's a single account based on a single opinion about a single case.

You, your doctor and your "research" aren't really correct or accurate. The folks at Harvard seem to overwhelmingly disagree, at any rate. Sleep deprivation leads to a host of health problems.
after this I'm done with this silly dance, you can live in your delusion alone.

anecdotal is a lack of research. it does not set a standard of research. I did research by talking a to someone who knows a hell of a lot more about the topic than you do, or anyone else in this thread for that matter, but you just dismiss it the only factual, non anecdotal evidence brought to the discussion because you believe it doesn't agree with you. The really funny part is I've been agreeing with you the whole f'ing time you're just too damn caught up in your self delusion to see it. This is made so much more clear by that fact you can't even separate one of my posts from another in context of your yelling at Wolfe. The whole thing is comical and really diminishing to you Chimp.

Maybe take a deep breath and reread the whole thread without your blinders on.
__________________
2017 MWC
2017 GDC
2017 PAX East
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #40
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 7,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
anecdotal is a lack of research. it does not set a standard of research.
an·ec·do·tal
(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research

Quote:
I did research by talking a to someone who knows a hell of a lot more about the topic than you do, or anyone else in this thread for that matter, but you just dismiss it the only factual, non anecdotal evidence brought to the discussion because you believe it doesn't agree with you.
What's frustrating me at this point is the simple fact that what you're presenting is the very definition of anecdotal. It's a personal account. You didn't do any research. You asked one doctor. The information I presented to you - from Harvard Medical - contradicts what you (and apparently your doctor) trying to say.

Quote:
The really funny part is I've been agreeing with you the whole f'ing time you're just too damn caught up in your self delusion to see it.
I guess I missed the part where you agreed with me, because you seemed to spend more time trying to say I was calling you a liar (which I never did).

Quote:
This is made so much more clear by that fact you can't even separate one of my posts from another in context of your yelling at Wolfe. The whole thing is comical and really diminishing to you Chimp.
The text Wolfe quoted was in regards to your statement about the article's message...which is also incorrect. You tried to say the article was painting a picture of "sleep deprivation = death" when it was really more of a criticism of the professional streamer lifestyle and it's hidden dangers.

I've pointed that out at least twice, now. I understand what he - and you - were trying to say in that regard.

Good day, sir.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
twitch

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:18 PM.