Today 09:48 AM
0 Replies, 6 Views

Old 05-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Sony: VR Market Growth "Below Expectation"

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
A few years ago, as Facebook forked out $2bn for Oculus and Valve and Sony entered the fray with fancy tech of their own, virtual reality looked like it might have become the next big thing not just in video game land, but in entertainment.

Fast forward to 2018, and things haven't grown quite as fast as some of the major players had hoped.

One of those major players is Sony, which released the PlayStation VR headset in October 2016. As of December 2017, PSVR had sold two million units.

Yesterday, during an investor relations event, Sony said that while the PSVR specifically was growing, growth for the overall VR market was "below expectation".

The line came in a note under the "challenges and improvements" section of a presentation on Sony's video game business, called the game and network services segment.

Clearly, Sony reckons VR has failed to take off in the way it had expected. But it's not alone. Earlier this month, Oculus VR's Matt Conte told Eurogamer sister site GamesIndustry.biz the size of the VR market in 2018 is smaller than it had hoped.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

In other news, IT'S STILL JUST A FAD! Wow! Geniuses.

I have not touched my PSVR in months. It sits on the floor in a corner. Was cool for a while but it's a pain in the butt to set up correctly, and even when I do, there's still tons of blurriness on my periphery because my eyes are too far apart and there is no hardware way to increase eye distance like on some other headsets.

Now if only they'd bring back the 3D TV technology instead. That was actually cool and much easier to use if you had just the right TV and glasses for optimum results. By far best results were with Plasma TVs not LCDs. I don't know how OLED was, but its was probably awesome. It was a total shit move for TV makers to remove the damn feature from TVs. What the actual F?
Old 05-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #3
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

This is what bothers me most about the Highwire crew developing Golem exclusively for PSVR. It's such a small market that it feels like an almost guaranteed failure. I'd love to play the game but not enough to buy the PSVR for it, especially when it's not really taking off as a platform.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #4
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Remember all the gaming press 2 or 3 years ago? "VR is the future!" Yeah maybe in 10 or 20 years if they can work out the kinks and make it cheap by then.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #5
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

I think this is a confirmation bias type of story.

The VR market not growing as expected is nit the same as PSVR being a failure or a “fad”. VR is decidedly NOT a fad because VR is better design for innumerable numbers of tasks. Better design never fails, even if it takes a while for people to understand it.

I think the real issue is that rhe PSVR is a MASSIVE thud in Japan. The psvr section of the playstation store in Japan is nearly buried and the software selection is painful. Its mostly the japan-centric content that every japanese console kaunches with but that never gets localized to the states. Karaoke, idol fetish games, garbage anime spinoff non-games that are phoned in, etc. the big psvr games that have made a splash in the states are mostly nowhere to he found.

The cause of VR has been taken up by small teams in the US but, famously, that culture doesnt really exist in Japan. And big stufios have no interest in risking money on VR. This is why we see trifling little spin-off packages like viewing character models in Tekken.

Once Sony puts out a killer app for PsVR, something that resonates with the Japanese, we will see things change.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:47 PM   #6
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL CABONG View Post
Remember all the gaming press 2 or 3 years ago? "VR is the future!" Yeah maybe in 10 or 20 years if they can work out the kinks and make it cheap by then.
20 years ago people didnt have cell phones. Do you know how silly “maybe in 20 years” sounds?

There are no kinks with VR aside from people not wanting go try it.

“Sometimes people get sick”

Yeah, well, that was a thing when Doom first came out too.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #7
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

They were hoping for the casual market to get on board (why would they? too many out of touch Executives IMO).. think they were aiming too high IMO. It didn't help that Oculus tried to wall off its device in the first place.. big error once again driven by greed to own a walled garden...

Provide some killer games and it could grow.. but nowadays unless something goes stratospheric right out the gate its failed... and once people aren't making lots of money quickly for little effort they aren't interested. Seems to me like a slow burn technology but people like FB buy up anything that looks remotely like it could blow up because they are scared they miss the boat... fear drives these stupid inflated buyout prices IMO.
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #8
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMagnet View Post
They were hoping for the casual market to get on board (why would they? too many out of touch Executives IMO).. think they were aiming too high IMO. It didn't help that Oculus tried to wall off its device in the first place.. big error once again driven by greed to own a walled garden...

Provide some killer games and it could grow.. but nowadays unless something goes stratospheric right out the gate its failed... and once people aren't making lots of money quickly for little effort they aren't interested. Seems to me like a slow burn technology but people like FB buy up anything that looks remotely like it could blow up because they are scared they miss the boat... fear drives these stupid inflated buyout prices IMO.
I actually have seen a ton of conversions from the “casual” market. My sister in law is a great example. She hates games, but one turn in “I Expect You To Die”, and she was asking my brother if they could get one. The only reason she didn’t is because the game is, while great, too short. She finished it after binging it for 6 or y hours and asked if there was any more. There wasn’t, so she was over it. The psvr reddit is full of similar stories of either conversions, or faltered starts where the lack of content just couldn’t make people pull the trigger.

The problem with VR remains people not getting to try it. And, even if they do, lacking the imagination. To understand how it applies to ALL games.

You have to play at least 10+ specific psvr games to fully understand the breadth of what the setup is capable of.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:31 PM   #9
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

Yes lots of people have tried my Vive and think it's awesome... but that's FREE awesome. Once they realise it's 3K for a good enough setup then that's a different prospect. PSVR is interesting but a sub par experience compared to the high end rig IMO.

The bottleneck is the PC currently and they simply are not powerful enough to drive the high resolutions people whine about. For me personally I ddn't notice the screen door effect once i'm playing a game.

Personally I can't play pinball games outside of VR nowadays.. I do enjoy the Serious Sam Games and The Talos Project was great in VR... still little to actually bring in the masses.. not sure yet another port of Skyrim will do it though not tried it yet.
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:01 PM   #10
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

For a few months I was totally hooked on playing Elite Dangerous in VR. But then all the kinks, like the oddity of trying to manipulate the galaxy map in VR became so much of a headache I would take the headset off to do it on the monitor.

Then I started realizing just how shitty the VR display was compared to my old 1080p monitor. So I started playing just on the monitor again. It wasn't in 3D but there was no UI weirdness and the images were way, way sharper than anything in the VR headset.

Plus I got a bunch of USB ports back and my HDMI port. The Rift just gobbled up space on my desk, ports on my machine, and was a nightmare to handle.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #11
LostToys
Evil Dead

VR definitely has mass market appeal, it just has several factors that go against the adoption. For many, they do not trust a peripheral to be well supported (understandable), for others it is a lack of quality games or the games available are too damned short with limited replay, and for some it is just not possible to make the 9x9 space (or larger) necessary to get good room scale (or for the PS4, good detection of the motion controllers).

But I know a ton of people who have enjoyed VR. My mom, in her mid-60s, can't player modern games at all. She can't wrap her head around dual thumbsticks. But she absolutely loves playing VR games because they react in the way that she expects the game to react based on her real world experience. Even more traditional games, like the platformer section of Playroom, she is able to wrap her head about the game because she becomes the camera and the robot is her. By removing the twin stick element of the 3D platformer, she was able to pick up up the controller and more instinctively know how to move the robot around the 3D map.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:29 PM   #12
GodFather
Evil Dead

I find the big negative with my PSVR is what a pain in the ass it is to setup all the time and the wires. Its a chore. When playing it I have a blast with it and think its amazing for where the tech is at today, but the setup process is too much work for playing in short periods of time.
GodFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:32 PM   #13
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post

But I know a ton of people who have enjoyed VR. My mom, in her mid-60s, can't player modern games at all. She can't wrap her head around dual thumbsticks. But she absolutely loves playing VR games because they react in the way that she expects the game to react based on her real world experience. Even more traditional games, like the platformer section of Playroom, she is able to wrap her head about the game because she becomes the camera and the robot is her. By removing the twin stick element of the 3D platformer, she was able to pick up up the controller and more instinctively know how to move the robot around the 3D map.
Exactly.

Weird fact about Robot Rescue that I found out: You are not the robot that you control. You are very much you. Specifically, I dodged one of the bullet bill enemies in the game and came flying at my face. I wasn't paying any attention because I thought "I" was safe. "I" being the Super Mario-alike robot. In actuality, The Bullet Bill crashed into my face causing damage and scaring the heck out of me. It made me suddenly realize that "I" was in the game, which is weirdly terrifying. Suddenly I realized that monsters weren't just out to get my "character", but me too.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:34 PM   #14
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFather View Post
I find the big negative with my PSVR is what a pain in the ass it is to setup all the time and the wires. Its a chore. When playing it I have a blast with it and think its amazing for where the tech is at today, but the setup process is too much work for playing in short periods of time.
I guess I just never "put it away" in the way I would have to if I lived with respectable adults. I usually just put it down and tuck the cords out of site.

But, then, I don't have it hooked up to an "entertainment center". I don't even use a TV. It's just the PSVR and the playstation. In that way, the entire thing could fit in a small trunk, if you just wanted it to.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #15
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
Exactly.

Weird fact about Robot Rescue that I found out: You are not the robot that you control. You are very much you. Specifically, I dodged one of the bullet bill enemies in the game and came flying at my face. I wasn't paying any attention because I thought "I" was safe. "I" being the Super Mario-alike robot. In actuality, The Bullet Bill crashed into my face causing damage and scaring the heck out of me. It made me suddenly realize that "I" was in the game, which is weirdly terrifying. Suddenly I realized that monsters weren't just out to get my "character", but me too.
This is one of those things that I absolutely liked about Robot Rescue. Like the first time that you have to go through a cave and realize that you (the person) have to duck in order to get the camera through the cave, and that you can crash into the ceiling and cause debris to fall into the game world.

I love those type of little details that you do not get in a traditional game.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:20 PM   #16
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
This is one of those things that I absolutely liked about Robot Rescue. Like the first time that you have to go through a cave and realize that you (the person) have to duck in order to get the camera through the cave, and that you can crash into the ceiling and cause debris to fall into the game world.

I love those type of little details that you do not get in a traditional game.
Absolutely. Did you play the demo for Starchild? It's basically a Super Metroid knockoff. But without the safety of being on the other side of the television, suddenly the alien environment FEELS incredibly creepy and threatening. You could be focusing on your character and happen to glance to the right and see a giant monster over your shoulder just waiting to punch on your character. It's horrifying.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #17
LostToys
Evil Dead

I have not tried playing Starchild yet. It is on my to do list, but with so many quality triple A titles being released this year, I have not had a need to purchase lower tiered games. That, and I hoping that it will be free some day. Same with Moss.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:10 PM   #18
brandonjclark
Subscriber

In other news, LG and Google develop an OLED screen that's approaching the resolution of your own friggin EYES!

However, no GPU can push it yet.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/05/22/g...screen-for-vr/
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:16 PM   #19
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
In other news, LG and Google develop an OLED screen that's approaching the resolution of your own friggin EYES!

However, no GPU can push it yet.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/05/22/g...screen-for-vr/
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #20
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
20 years ago people didnt have cell phones. Do you know how silly “maybe in 20 years” sounds?

There are no kinks with VR aside from people not wanting go try it.

“Sometimes people get sick”

Yeah, well, that was a thing when Doom first came out too.
Cell phones are from the 80s. They are 35 plus years old . They sucked the first 20 years or so. It's only the last 15 or so years that true mass adoption has occurred. Do you think current phones are somehow not waaaay better than the giant brick like phones from the 80s? But thanks for making my point for me while still being wrong.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oculur rift, ps vr