Last post by SpectralThundr
Yesterday 08:08 PM
25 Replies, 1,349 Views

Old 11-16-2018, 07:31 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Sony is Skipping E3 2019

Quote:
Sony is skipping next year’s E3, ditching its traditional booth and press conference in a move that will have a significant negative impact on the video game industry’s annual trade show.

The Entertainment Software Association, the lobbyist group that runs E3, confirmed the news today, as did Sony.

“As the industry evolves, Sony Interactive Entertainment continues to look for inventive opportunities to engage the community,” said Sony in a statement. “PlayStation fans mean the world to us and we always want to innovate, think differently and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019. We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can’t wait to share our plans with you.”

This is yet another blow to the annual Los Angeles trade show, which has seen multiple publishers drop out over the past few years. Electronic Arts now holds its own event in Hollywood in the days leading up to E3, while last year Microsoft rented out a theater at L.A. Live, a few minutes away from the convention center where E3 takes place. Nintendo has spent the past five years eschewing traditional press conferences in favor of pre-recorded videos, and with Sony gone, one of E3's other marquee press conferences will now also not be present in 2019.

Sony also typically occupies a massive chunk of one of the convention center’s two main halls, so the company’s absence will leave a significant hole for the ESA to fill.

The move makes sense for Sony, as the company’s 2019 presser would presumably revolve around three of the four games it showcased last year: Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2, and Ghost of Tsushima, none of which currently have release dates. All three are expected to come out in the latter half of 2019 or later.

Sony also skipped this year’s PlayStation Experience, a conference that it had held every December from 2014 through 2017.
Sony prepping for the release of the PlayStation 5 in 2020 or more of an indication that E3 itself is heading into another slump?
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Sony prepping for the release of the PlayStation 5 in 2020 or more of an indication that E3 itself is heading into another slump?[/QUOTE]

Come on bro. The two options you present are inaccurate and false. Let's just be 100% factual, and then discuss actual reality. This is EA, not IGN or Gamespot; Can we just speak the truth? Please?

Sony is obviously making a PS5.

Microsoft is obviously making an Xbox 2.

Nintendo is obviously making a Switch 2.

Now all we have to do is wait for the announcements. If I had to guess, Sony will announce the PS5 first, for a 2019 release. MS will announce a Xbox streaming box to come out in 2019 also. So in 2019 Sony will have the most powerful box, but MS will offer a streaming option on par or close to on par with the PS5. Then in 2020 the Xbox will release the Xbox 2, which will be more powerful than the PS5, and have a bunch of exclusives due to the recent acquisitions. There is more to the story, but I'm drinking Steel Reserve 211's and need a break. I can fill the boots of Micheal Pachter, but I'll need more time.

But can we at least be honest? Please for the love of God; what do you have to lose? I don't care if the company I like falters; just wish we all be the same. If Starbucks sucks, I'll get Tully, or even a random company. I am not a slave to anyone.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:02 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
Come on bro. The two options you present are inaccurate and false. Let's just be 100% factual, and then discuss actual reality. This is EA, not IGN or Gamespot; Can we just speak the truth? Please?
I think you missed the entire point. Sony skipping E3 2019 is probably because they are prepping for the big media push in 2020 around the PlayStation 5. Why spend millions on the show floor to show off games like Last of Us 2, Death Stranding and Days Gone when they have show off those games for two shows in a row?

But, even before this there were rumblings that the show itself is staring to price itself out of itself. The show floor is getting more and more expensive and more people get their information online than ever before -- and online is a medium that costs literally nothing to use. They don't even have to pay for the bandwidth for videos, just upload them to YouTube like Nintendo does and be done with it.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #4
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I think you missed the entire point. Sony skipping E3 2019 is probably because they are prepping for the big media push in 2020 around the PlayStation 5. Why spend millions on the show floor to show off games like Last of Us 2, Death Stranding and Days Gone when they have show off those games for two shows in a row?

But, even before this there were rumblings that the show itself is staring to price itself out of itself. The show floor is getting more and more expensive and more people get their information online than ever before -- and online is a medium that costs literally nothing to use. They don't even have to pay for the bandwidth for videos, just upload them to YouTube like Nintendo does and be done with it.
I hear ya. But in years past they would want the big attention of E3 for those games. But I agree, just putting them on YouTube and game sites will achieve the goal. I can't lie though and wonder if they don't have enough games to make a simple 1 hour presentation. They are a multi billion dollar company, so I can feel safe to assume they know what they're doing; but during E3 Xbox and Nintendo will steal the show and attention. It'll be interesting going forward. I won't try to cover things up with spin, that's for sure. If something sucks, so be it; if something is awesome, then also, so be it.

Go Against the Flow.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
I hear ya. But in years past they would want the big attention of E3 for those games. But I agree, just putting them on YouTube and game sites will achieve the goal. I can't lie though and wonder if they don't have enough games to make a simple 1 hour presentation. They are a multi billion dollar company, so I can feel safe to assume they know what they're doing; but during E3 Xbox and Nintendo will steal the show and attention. It'll be interesting going forward. I won't try to cover things up with spin, that's for sure. If something sucks, so be it; if something is awesome, then also, so be it.
If you are trying to say that they have nothing to show off next year, I kinda agree. They have nothing NEW to show off next year. 2019 for Sony will be another great year for the PlayStation brand because it will be the year we see the three titles I mention above and Ghosts of Tsushima plus all the multiplatform releases like Anthem, Cyberpunk 2077, Shadows Die Twice, DOOM 2, RAGE, etc.

It would just be a pretty dull show though, because we have seen every single one of those titles in the past and you saw what happened this year when they mostly had old titles to show off... it was pretty average to watch. The games were great, but if they aren't showing off new stuff it kinda drags.

I don't think Microsoft is in any better of a position. They just starting buying up studios, there won't be any big games to show off for at least a year and at least another year after that before they finally start hitting the store shelves.

It's not going to be a great E3 for new content. Tons of games next year, it's going to be another blockbuster year, but it will mostly be stuff we have already seen.

About the only big release I can think of that we haven't seen is Respawn's Star Wars and that's multiplatform.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

I'm okay with them Skipping E3, but they have to give us something. Are they planning on having their own show?
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:33 AM   #7
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Sony is skipping because they blew their load with the 2018 exclusives and suffered major embarrassment earlier this year with that disgusting and SJW hate filled E3 showcase. And because PS5 is still a pipe dream in development and they have nothing to show.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:26 AM   #8
Blackwing
Slacker

Most major announcements get leaked weeks prior to the show, would honestly see shows aimed more for the fans than the "news outlets" as they no longer give a shit about just giving us gaming news and would rather opine their social justice bull shit.
Blackwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #9
EGO
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Sony is skipping because they blew their load with the 2018 exclusives and suffered major embarrassment earlier this year with that disgusting and SJW hate filled E3 showcase.
I must've missed that, since I'm not agenda-mining and looking for things to be pissed about.

I genuinely want to know, what was this "disgusting SJW hate filled showcase"?
Old 11-16-2018, 12:32 PM   #10
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

I think you guys are all missing the point.E3 is becoming less important. E3 costs time and money With little benifit . Sony as a company isn't doing great outside of PlayStation.

Nothing stopping Sony from just doing a Nintendo direct type of thing. Which would be cheaper. Plus what are they gonna show ? Half the same games they showed in 2018?
This move doesn't really have to mean much for PS5 whenever that drops.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #11
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

Since they moved to normal PC CPUs (xbox has windows 10 inside :P) They can make all the old games to play in the new consoles

So now their libary can be like STEAM
Old 11-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #12
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGO View Post
I must've missed that, since I'm not agenda-mining and looking for things to be pissed about.

I genuinely want to know, what was this "disgusting SJW hate filled showcase"?
The SJW part was not disgusting…. the sick GORE in most of the games was. The SJW part was Lesbian of Us 2 forcing gay sex scenes on us in an effort to be edgy and socially conscious.

Actually, even the lesbian kiss was disgusting because they commented on much their horrible BO turned them on.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #13
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I enjoyed the Uncharted games and played the heck out of the Crash games back in the day. I also enjoyed what I played of the Jak and Daxter series. But I never played Last of Us. It's probably just me but it seems like Naughty Dog takes itself a little too seriously these last couple of generations.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

They have nothing to show they haven't already, makes perfect sense to skip it. That's all this is, no conspiracy here. Sony's exclusives have been pretty meh to begin with.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:47 AM   #15
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Also screw Sony because they laughed at me when I asked if they were giving out Spider-Man shirts at PAX. This from the company that used to give out Uncharted shirts back in the day.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:12 AM   #16
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Also screw Sony because they laughed at me when I asked if they were giving out Spider-Man shirts at PAX. This from the company that used to give out Uncharted shirts back in the day.
Dude did you get that newspaper thing they had for Spider-man? Regardless PAX has been lacking in recent years on the swag. Back in the day (2010/2011) I would need a backpack just to carry all the swag. Now I barely get anything.

Go Against the Flow.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:46 AM   #17
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I got scolded by Robert Khoo at PAX. It soured the day. Darn you Robert Khoo! I did get a free Gigantic shirt and a bunch of lanyards though.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #18
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I got scolded by Robert Khoo at PAX. It soured the day. Darn you Robert Khoo! I did get a free Gigantic shirt and a bunch of lanyards though.
lol why did Robert Khoo scold you?

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:37 PM   #19
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
lol why did Robert Khoo scold you?
Some of the event workers were trying to funnel us through multiple entrances since we were all using just one. We followed that guy and Khoo said we were all line cutters. I explained that my nephew and I were just following the event worker and he said something along the lines of “Well it’s my event and I say you have to the back of the line now.” It was t huge but it easily added another 15 minutes of a wait for us. I was never really a big fan of the guy from what I knew anyway. That attitude kind of seemed par for the course to me.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #20
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Some of the event workers were trying to funnel us through multiple entrances since we were all using just one. We followed that guy and Khoo said we were all line cutters. I explained that my nephew and I were just following the event worker and he said something along the lines of “Well it’s my event and I say you have to the back of the line now.” It was t huge but it easily added another 15 minutes of a wait for us. I was never really a big fan of the guy from what I knew anyway. That attitude kind of seemed par for the course to me.
Yah that's pretty lame. It's just kind of being shifty for the sake of it. Not much pisses me off more. "It's my event" - oh, brother. Hope the rest of it was good anyway.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
playstation, sony