Last post by Terran
Yesterday 05:43 PM
14 Replies, 1,192 Views

Old 07-03-2018, 05:45 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Shenmue HD Remaster Release Date Confirmed By Sega

Quote:
A new trailer released by SEGA Europe confirms that the HD remastered versions of Shenmue I and II will get a release date in August. Get ready to relive the Shenmue saga all over again. The first Shenmue game released in 1999 for the SEGA Dreamcast and introduced an action-adventure title set in an open world environment complete with hand-to-hand combat and roleplaying elements.

The title was groundbreaking: It was one of the first games to include day and nighttime within the environment, as well as variable weather, non-player characters, vending machines and arcade games. The story was equally as strong, which followed the adventures of Ryo Hazuki as he went on a mission to find the person responsible for his father's death in 1980s China. Shenmue II followed in 2001 as a direct sequel to the first game, building upon the elements created in the first. Both games act as early examples of what many action-adventure RPGs have become since then.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:16 PM   #3
Mozgus
Evil Dead

Hmm, gotta admit, the visuals have aged terribly. I still might have it in me for a 2nd trek through that adventure though. I paid top dollar for that EU import on dreamcast back in the day.
Mozgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:11 AM   #4
Scherge
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozgus View Post
Hmm, gotta admit, the visuals have aged terribly. I still might have it in me for a 2nd trek through that adventure though. I paid top dollar for that EU import on dreamcast back in the day.
I think I can live with the visuals IF the game runs in 4:3 or (preferably) offers a true 16:9 mode. This trailer simply stretched the 4:3 image to widescreen (in most scenes), so it looked way worse than it would have with the real aspect ratio. I had hoped that SEGA would give "Shenmue" the "Kiwami" treatment, but apparently, that wasn't in the budget.

My biggest wish, though, is that the controls are reworked for modern controllers. I played the first Shenmue for a bit after the Kickstarter for part 3 had succeeded, and I found it annoyingly difficult to make Ryo go where I wanted him to. He moved sluggishly, turned like a truck, and I seem to remember that some of the buttons were configured differently from what we're used today. At the very least, the remaster should support the second analog stick for looking around...
Old 07-04-2018, 07:26 AM   #5
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

I tried to replay this on my Dreamcast a couple years back, and I can honestly say that it has not aged well at all. Graphics, gameplay, controls, voice-acting, and everything else is just awful.

And this was my favorite DC game of all time back in the day.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:16 AM   #6
cjrizzo
Reaper

I still have my Dreamcast copy and played through a good portion of it back in the day. Never picked up Shenmue II for the Xbox. At first I was excited for this remaster, but I'm not really sure that I'm on board anymore. It is aging terribly and I fear that Shenmue 3, mired in delays, will not be as good as we all hope. I will probably wait for 3 to release and reviewed, then see if they release a trilogy set before buying.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:22 AM   #7
Scherge
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrizzo View Post
I will probably wait for 3 to release and reviewed, then see if they release a trilogy set before buying.
I very much doubt that, because 1 & 2 are owned by SEGA, while 3 is released by Ys Net and Deep Silver (and supported by Sony). There's very little info on the actual game, so we don't even know if it will be possible to import saved games from 2 into 3. Probably not, since Ys Net would have to recreate all items that Ryo might have bought along the way...

Tags
shenmue remaster