Minecraft Bedrock...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 08:04 AM
6 Replies, 267 Views

Old 11-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Pure Evil - Job Simulator 2.0

You too can trudge from place to place for hours at time, virtually no pay and work for people who really wish you would just go away and leave them alone. In fact, they care so little about you that they don't even open the door!

If I wanted to spend my free time working, I would still be at work!

But... Squidwhale!

Anyone else playing FedEx Ground Simulator Death Stranding?
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
timmyd
Evil Dead

Games that are marketed with a characters face and/or title screen art always suck. Seriously. I come to this site, see a characters face only, and begin hating the game. Serves me well. The above screenshot would have been better.
timmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:16 AM   #3
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

I watched a few Let's Plays...and honestly it looked like the game was either boring (walk, walk, walk) or frustrating (balancing all those packages only to have them fall off). I just don't see the appeal.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Anyone else playing FedEx Ground Simulator Death Stranding?
It's a good, different game. The framing you chose to be edgy is the complete opposite to the attitudes of the people you encounter and the overarching themes of the game.

Yes, I'm with you on all the Post-Apocalyptic Amazon Prime. Easy to think that in the first couple chapters when its teaching you the fundamentals about weight load, stamina, the effects of terrain, and all the other factors you take for granted in other games, not to mention all the other bizarre and potentially overwhelming elements like BTs, MULEs, etc.

But it's a game like any other. Most games involve getting a goal, travelling from Point A to B to achieve said goal, and dealing with obstacles in the way. This game gives you a different set of considerations than "point and shoot" or "face and slash." It isn't perfect, it has *tons* of shout-outs and Kojima elements (Guillermo Del Toro (model only) and Conan O'Brian (voice / model) appear as characters, blatant product placement for Monster & Ride with Normal Reedus), but it's different.

You get an Assault Rifle in Chapter 4, if you made it that far. You even get to use it, despite the games' insistence about non-lethal gameplay! Other gadgets and more of the Metal Gear utility style gameplay come out later on as well as you help people.

"Virtually no pay" -- besides the utility unlocks and other more achievement-oriented rewards you get for pursuing completionism in games by making deliveries, it's a post-capitalist, post-apocalyptic world that highlights cooperation and how appreciation for others for what they do to make our lives possible can is the more fundamental reward. The game makes subtle commentary on the foils of social media and how technology severs human connection. How many people in the supply and logistics chain get taken for granted who make your entertainment or enable people to make snarky comments through a computer or phone, both past and present?

My point is: Kojima wanted to make a point that's woven into the entire experience and might go over some people's heads if they focus too much on how this game isn't like the games they like to play. With a high stress job, playing this game is a more soothing experience. You do get something out of the game by helping others with making the world just a little bit better than you found it and showing appreciation for those that helped you -- though even that fades once you're "finished" with an area, and your impact on the world fades with time unless others after you contribute to your contribution to keep it alive (a mechanic meant to clean up the game world but also how the thing we do carry forward with the passage of time).

The game beats you over the head that human connection and the time we spend together as people are what's most important, but also, about this online digital society, which starts at the place of "where no one wants to connect, are fearful of human touch because of BTs, everyone is isolated, people are taking drugs for oxytocin to avoid depression, and society is ravaged by environmental hazards and ruins" with a main character who characterizes the starting point of the game world --

Quote:
A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:08 PM   #5
wunshot
Subscriber

Literally the WORST game I've ever played. Not even worth any more words...
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #6
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
The game beats you over the head that human connection and the time we spend together as people are what's most important
Funny you say that as I was thinking this is the laziest development in the history of games considering there aren't any other people walking around the cities and bases. I think there was a total of 4 people visible in the two hours I played (walked...). That's the opposite of human connection...
Old 11-13-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
wunshot
Subscriber

Oh and finally....I ended up stuck in my bedroom. Tried to figure out how to leave for about 5 minutes, and finally realized it was a fitting ending to my experience with that PoS.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
Funny you say that as I was thinking this is the laziest development in the history of games considering there aren't any other people walking around the cities and bases. I think there was a total of 4 people visible in the two hours I played (walked...). That's the opposite of human connection...
Nono listen it's a masterpeice!!! OMG SO PROGRE.. ok I can't even keep a straight face typing that. The game has always looked boring in any media of it, not surprised to find out it's another overblown fed ex walking simulator.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:37 PM   #9
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Oh and finally....I ended up stuck in my bedroom. Tried to figure out how to leave for about 5 minutes, and finally realized it was a fitting ending to my experience with that PoS.
Really, you could not figure out how to use the right stick analog stick to move the camera around a fixed position, with intractable button prompts appearing as you look at an object, item, or location of interest?
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:36 PM   #10
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

Quote:
It's a good, different game.

... bunch of crap...

with a main character who characterizes the starting point of the game world --
I haven't played the game and I don't want it anymore.... this description seems like the synopsis of a modern art sculpture that is horrible and undesciphrable, but art collectors/critics praise because it is their job.

NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

It's a Kojima game, his first one with his own studio, that doesn't have major publishing backing. Yeah, it is an arthouse game. I honestly don't know what you all were expecting. Ghostbusters 3 with 8v8 multiplayer support?
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:46 PM   #12
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
I honestly don't know what you all were expecting.
A quality game that is fun to play. That's actually always my expectation.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #13
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
Really, you could not figure out how to use the right stick analog stick to move the camera around a fixed position, with intractable button prompts appearing as you look at an object, item, or location of interest?
Yeah, and although I could take a shit, look at some toys on a shelf, look at 4 colored outfits, and look at a fucked up baby in a bottle, there wasn't a single prompt for "leave the room and get the fuck on with this boring ass story".
Old 11-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #14
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I loved MGS5. Was expecting more of that (base attacking, fun fights, great characters) in a different setting. Nope.....Kojima pulled a Romero and surrounded himself with sycophants and created the lamest AAA game ever made.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #15
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Yeah, and although I could take a shit, look at some toys on a shelf, look at 4 colored outfits, and look at a fucked up baby in a bottle, there wasn't a single prompt for "leave the room and get the fuck on with this boring ass story".
You are literally told what to do in the upper left hand corner of the HUD. For the first two times that you are in the private quarters you are supposed to take a shower. Anything after that you enter on your own, so obviously, you look at the door and select it.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #16
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I put Death Stranding in a similar place I put "simulator" titles like Bus, Train and Truck Simulator: It does not have to be your cup of tea, it just has to be someone's.

I'm personally enjoying that I am playing right now. I love games like Ico and The Last Guardian where most of the fun comes from world exploration and the small story elements are just carrots to keep you going forward.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:41 PM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I'm enjoying the game, but I'm laughing because the "game" is really a lot more like work. If you are one of those people who wants to complete the roads instead of just hoofing it everywhere, it's a TON of grinding.

I put a mountain of materials into the road piece outside of the Carpenter and it gets you the same 14-feet stretch of freeway that you get other places for like 1/4 the materials.

Whew.

The BT fights are great once you start getting some weapons.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:42 PM   #18
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
You are literally told what to do in the upper left hand corner of the HUD. For the first two times that you are in the private quarters you are supposed to take a shower. Anything after that you enter on your own, so obviously, you look at the door and select it.
Yeah. I took a shower. Story didn't progress. Honestly, I'm glad it didn't as it saved me another hour of walking around a wasteland. I'm stubborn enough that if I waste $59.00 on a pre-order, I'm going to give the game multiple chances to redeem itself. Fuck that game. Only time I've wished I had a physical copy, simply so I could send it back to Japan with the message, "Your game fucking sucks".
Old 11-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #19
wunshot
Subscriber

Quote:
I put Death Stranding in a similar place I put "simulator" titles like Bus, Train and Truck Simulator: It does not have to be your cup of tea, it just has to be someone's.

I'm personally enjoying that I am playing right now. I love games like Ico and The Last Guardian where most of the fun comes from world exploration and the small story elements are just carrots to keep you going forward.
That's funny. Last Guardian was my least favorite game of all time prior to this one.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #20
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
It's the Triangle button, you look toward the table and the door prompt is behind the table off in the distance. Though if it's your first time in the room, you might have to do some of the other stuff in the room first like take a shower so they can make a pee grenade.

Tags
pure evil