Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 08:04 AM
6 Replies, 267 Views

Old 11-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Microsoft and Dontnod Entertainment Announce Tell Me Why for Xbox One and PC

Quote:
Announcing Tell Me Why, the Newest Narrative Adventure Game from Dontnod Entertainment

This year at X019 in London, Xbox Games Studios was proud to unveil Tell Me Why, a gripping, true-to-life narrative adventure coming to Xbox One, Windows 10 PC, Xbox Game Pass and Steam starting Summer 2020. Tell Me Why is the next title from our partner, Dontnod Entertainment, the studio behind the beloved Life is Strange franchise.

Set in small-town Alaska, Tell Me Why places you at the heart of a mystery in an intimate, true-to-life story where twins Tyler and Alyson Ronan use their extraordinary bond to unravel memories of a loving but troubled childhood.

“The core mechanic of the game is the special bond Tyler and Alyson share and is also a theme strongly anchored into the Dontnod storytelling approach,” explained Florent Guillaume, Tell Me Why‘s Game Director. “Over the course of the story, players will explore the identical twins’ different memories of key events and choose which memory to believe. Ultimately, the choices players make determine the strength of the twins’ bond—and the future course of their lives.”

Tyler and Alyson are both playable characters and equal heroes in the story. “We love them both,” continued Guillaume, “And we are especially grateful to Microsoft for its full support, openness and help regarding Tyler’s identity and character, as a transgender man.”

Dontnod has worked closely alongside Microsoft and the LGBTQ media advocacy organization GLAAD in shaping Tyler as an authentic representation of the trans experience, as well as a genuine, multidimensional character. Tyler is also the first playable videogame hero from a major studio and publisher who is also transgender. “Microsoft and Dontnod have approached Tyler with a real commitment to authenticity,” explains Nick Adams, Director of Transgender Representation at GLAAD. “Tyler is a fully-realized, endearing character, whose story is not reduced to simplistic trans tropes. Creating a playable lead trans character – and taking such care to get it right – raises the bar for future LGBTQ inclusion in gaming.”

The story of Tell Me Why is comprised of three chapters that will release on a clear and predictable schedule. Dontnod are passionate about the opportunities for community-building and audience engagement that come with episodic storytelling, but they are also dedicated to innovation and improvement.

“We listened closely to fans of narrative adventure games, and we heard loud and clear how painful unpredictable gaps between episodes can be,” said Peter Wyse, General Manager for Xbox Games Studios Publishing. “We’re thrilled to announce that the entire Tell Me Why story will release in the Summer 2020.”

Tell Me Why will release with Xbox Game Pass and will also be available for purchase on Xbox One, Windows PC and Steam. Stay tuned to the official website, tellmewhygame.com for updates and behind-the-scenes information!

Gaming for Everyone is Microsoft’s commitment to making Xbox a place where everyone has fun. We believe that play is a fundamental need, and we strive to make life more fun for billions of people around the world by creating gaming experiences that are inclusive and welcoming, because when everyone can play, we all win.
Xbox Wire.
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Please think about who you may offend (like the site owner) before you post, please. Be considerate of others.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Old 11-15-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Please think about who you may offend (like the site owner) before you post, please. Be considerate of others.
When did you become a pussy
Old 11-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
When did you become a pussy
When I got sand in my mangina.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:43 PM   #6
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

So brave! Also so fucking ridiculous. Hey everyone lets celebrate mental illness and make video games about it!
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:20 PM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

This is an adventure style game? Not a fan of them. The visuals look really dated. Is it old? Based on long-in-development code? Not good looking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:57 AM   #8
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Nope. Not gonna happen.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:44 AM   #9
koorb
Reaper

I am really looking forward to this. Really not sure about the voice of the main character, but I think it will be interesting to play a character that I wouldn't normally choose.
Also there are a load of games I argue that nobody will ever make, like ones about the holocaust or about life as a regular person working in a factory. This game hits at the status quo and that should be celebrated. Otherwise, don't play it and don't discourage others from exploring different life perspectives.
koorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #10
Grumsh
Evil Dead

My wife really enjoyed Life is Strange but I preferred the Telltale games aot more. Not really interested in this one, I occassionally enjoy story games but i have to be interested in the story. Enjoyed wolf Among Us, Walking Dead 1 and 2, even enjoyed watching my wife play Life is Strange, not sure i am interested in a flashback style story though /shrug.

1:When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong.
Grumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #11
Daedalus
Squire

I wonder if one of the antagonists will be a white male who displays toxic masculinity and bullies the victimized mtf trans, only be thwarted by his strong sister who proudly displays girl power who put him in his place.

I wonder if all the indigenous people will proudly display their culture and be universally good characters.

I wonder if the developers will attack the intended buyers of the game as alt-right trolls when it gets bad reviews.

I wonder if the metacritic score of the game will diverge greatly from the audience score.

I wonder if a large proportion of those who defend and promote the game wont be gamers at all.

I wonder if YouTube will censor a lot of bad reviews, and Steam will be criticized by the media for not censoring the reviews on it's platform.
Daedalus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #12
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I am GLAAD (hehe) they went through the trouble to make sure they properly represented the communities they are portraying however, in my experience this means you're going to get a version of the subject matter that is polished beyond reality.

The representation will be something created and approved activists rather than the truth.

Still, it doesn't bother me that someone made a game with subject matter I don't like or necessarily approve of any more than people who make collectible card games which I am not a particularly big fan of.

Perhaps my larger concern though it is another grain of sand dropping in the hourglass of "mainstreaming" a mental illness. I don't think it does anyone any favors.

On the other hand if the the pressure and stigma of being trans became something similar to the mainstream gay folks perhaps the negatives, like the extremely high suicide rate, would normalize with other populations.

Perhaps society itself causes the mental illness due to it's intolerance.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #13
RAV
Evil Dead

I will discuss this on a more general note, because it is about many more people and problems than this.

There are fundamental problems to life. It's not as easy as blaming society for everything. Even if you weren't living in a society, doesn't mean you have a happy life free from tyranny. You are fundamentally oppressed by the logic of life itself. You really are not free to live however you want. You are always constrained by circumstance. And it will always be frustrating. It must be. Your freedom is more in how you solve your problems, not in the basic objectives of life. Fully realizing what this actually means is one of the most important principles for any form of life.

So there are many other groups of people that have a greatly increased risk of depression and suicide. You can actually further classify within a group by other metrics than sexual orientation or race. So what you will find is that there are a huge number of regular men with an enormous risk for suicide. Then you can analyze their circumstances, and eventually find that different groups with similar outcome can share a number of properties. You will find that as people grow older, not living in a decent relationship, having no kids, no accomplishments, low status, low income, difficulties making friends, all greatly increase the risk of depression and suicide, independent of other properties. These problems are fundamental and tough for anyone, but some people can have it even tougher for sure. If you had an accident with a resulting severe disfigurement, you sure will have a problem finding intimate partners. If you aren't an actual woman, you will never experience pregnancy and giving birth to a baby, alongside difficulties finding an intimate partner. These kind of problems may be somewhat mitigated by a more relaxed society, but fundamentally, these issues are frustrating, with a tendency for higher depression and suicide, regardless social acceptance, whatever this can mean anyway.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:23 AM   #14
NESter the Unlikely
Subscriber

Quote:
Tyler is also the first playable videogame hero from a major studio and publisher who is also transgender.

So Capcom is not a major studio and publisher? Or Poison isn't 'heroic' enough? Or you were just talkin' out your asses there?

Yet again, agenda pushers invading our gamespace demonstrate that despite all their entitled shrieking they don't actually play games.

Last edited by NESter the Unlikely; 11-18-2019 at 07:25 AM..
NESter the Unlikely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #15
RAV
Evil Dead

Poison was fun. I liked that char. Somehow seemed much better accepted by gamers. There are other instances of movies/games where queer stuff was some fun little diversion we didn't mind. It's a bit like some drag queen doing fun stand-up in a shady bar, and people are just having a good time. So it makes you wonder what exactly it is that's annoying people today. Might be simply that the issue is presented much more serious, center-point and loaded with a whole bunch of dramatic issues, instead of simply being a fun diversion. I don't know.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tell me why