24 Replies, 1,795 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Apple Overhauls iOS With AR Gaming And App Store Revision

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
ARKit is a toolset for developers that streamlines the creation process for AR games and apps on the Apple platform. Both the iPhone and iPad can run games built on ARKit with iOS 11 installed. The device's camera and motion sensors provide the real-world space for which game assets are rendered on. For example, The Machines requires a flat surface to draw up the game's maps, and players physically move around to get different viewing angles of the environment.

The Machines was demoed during Apple's recent iPhone event and GameSpot was able to play an early build of the game prior to launch. It works similarly to a MOBA (like Heroes of the Storm or Dota 2) in terms of map structure and abilities subjected to cooldown, but players control multiple characters during a match. It features local and online multiplayer, and a leaderboard. We also got hands-on with Zombie Gunship Revenant, a base-defense wave-based shooter where you place your base anywhere in the real world through your camera.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I am not sure if that sounds fun. AR games I've played in the past have very little tolerance for movement and I'm not sure I want to hold my phone up in the same place for however long it takes to play even a quick game.
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #3
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

Yeah, AR with phones don't interest me much. I have done some AR spritekit tutorials but they are annoying.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:22 AM   #4
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

"App Store Revision"

What about letting me buy songs in the Russian region? Why do I need to move region/account? or am I missing something. We now have digital delivery so all this Region rubbish should disappear.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:59 AM   #5
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Plus:

Issue 1: Picture format change
"First of all, after installing iOS 11 on an iPhone 7/7 Plus or the latest iPad Pros, these devices will now use the new HEIC image format by default (older iPhones and iPads running iOS 11 will be able to read this new format, but keep using JPEG when shooting new photos). Apple says that HEIC can let users save up to 50% on storage without any loss in image quality, but the new image format is not natively supported on Windows 10 or OneDrive. In other words, you won’t be able to open HEIC pictures with the Windows 10 photos app, and these images won’t be viewable on the OneDrive web and iOS apps either. If this bothers you, you can turn off the new picture format on your iPhone or iPad by going to Settings > Camera > Formats and choose “Most Compatible” instead of “High Efficiency.” It’s not clear if Microsoft is already working to bring native HEIC support to Windows 10 and OneDrive, but we hope it’s in the pipeline."

This is quite naughty of Apple to implement this change and make it default. I would suggest that this be disabled in order to allow compatibility. By compatibility I mean, “so every single machine in the world can view your images”.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, ios, iphone