Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by Azrael
Today 03:45 AM
11 Replies, 436 Views

Old 11-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Midway Defeats Doctor Sleep in Surprise Box Office Upset

In a surprise box office win, Roland Emmerich’s World War II epic Midway took down the competition in North America to land in first place with $17.5 million. Heading into the weekend, Warner Bros.’ Stephen King adaptation Doctor Sleep was widely expected to take the top prize, but the R-rated sequel to 1980’s The Shining debuted at No. 2 with a slumbering $14.1 million

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of November 8th to November 10th, 2019.
  1. Midway $17.5/$17.5
  2. Doctor Sleep $14.1/$14.1
  3. Playing with Fire $12.8/$12.8
  4. Last Christmas $11.6/$11.6
  5. Terminator: Dark Fate $10.8/$48.4
  6. Joker $9.2/$313.4
  7. Maleficent: Mistress of Evil $8.0/$97.3
  8. Harriet $7.2/$23.4
  9. Zombieland: Double Tap $4.3/$66.6
  10. The Addams Family $4.2/$91.4
  11. Jojo Rabbit $3.9/$9.1
  12. Countdown $2.8/$22.2
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

I am such a HUGE fan of The Shining, I can't wait to watch Doctor Sleep when it hits blu-ray... I've heard nothing but good things so far.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
I am such a HUGE fan of The Shining, I can't wait to watch Doctor Sleep when it hits blu-ray... I've heard nothing but good things so far.
You should see it in the theater, it's bloody brilliant! Watch the Shining then go see Doctor Sleep immediately after. That's what I did!

The only part of the movie I didn't like was the last 10 seconds which felt totally unnecessary and too rehashed.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
Terran
Evil Dead

My son and I saw Midway. They got a lot of little details right ("AF" as the Japanese code name for Midway Island, 'drinking water problem' used to confirm the Japanese code's meaning, the eccentric chief of the intelligence team, the 'fortunate happenstance' of finding the Japanese fleet just in time to avoid having to return to their carriers, Doolittle's raid and Chinese help, and much more). It was even remarkably patriotic, considering the Chinese were quite involved in it and all is obviously not well on that front, lol.

It was a decent film, but I rarely leave the theater thinking I'm glad I saw a film IN the theater, and this was no different. I wonder when I'll see another film that has me leaving the theater glad to have bothered to be there?

Watch it at home. Worth a viewing, doesn't really need the big screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #5
DingBat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
My son and I saw Midway. They got a lot of little details right ("AF" as the Japanese code name for Midway Island, 'drinking water problem' used to confirm the Japanese code's meaning, the eccentric chief of the intelligence team, the 'fortunate happenstance' of finding the Japanese fleet just in time to avoid having to return to their carriers, Doolittle's raid and Chinese help, and much more). It was even remarkably patriotic, considering the Chinese were quite involved in it and all is obviously not well on that front, lol.

It was a decent film, but I rarely leave the theater thinking I'm glad I saw a film IN the theater, and this was no different. I wonder when I'll see another film that has me leaving the theater glad to have bothered to be there?

I remember my dad taking my brother and me to the 1976 version. It happened to be at the best theater in town with Cinerama (70's version of widescreen) and they used the same Sensuround used in Earthquake.

Holy bleep, we were almost shell shocked when we got out of the theater.

They need to do something similar for people who still like to see movies in a theater.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #6
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I disagree. The dive bombing scenes with the tracer rounds and shrapnel flying everywhere were awesome. I saw it in Dolby, that might have had something to do with it, but I'm glad I saw it in a theater.

Saw Dr Sleep too. I enjoyed that as well.
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicToEat View Post
I disagree. The dive bombing scenes with the tracer rounds and shrapnel flying everywhere were awesome.
I'll give you that. Those scenes were quite intense and well crafted, and better on the big screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #8
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Wait, a Roland Emmerich movie that's actually good and not like all his other movies where he spends 99% of the budget on over-the-top CGI and then hires a high school drop out to write the script?
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:09 AM   #9
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Watched The Shining Saturday night and Doctor Sleep Sunday. Doctor Sleep was really good; better than I expected. I own both books, but still haven't read them. Both films are great, Doctor Sleep is a badass sequel. Worthy of buying when it comes out.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:12 AM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
Watched The Shining Saturday night and Doctor Sleep Sunday. Doctor Sleep was really good; better than I expected. I own both books, but still haven't read them. Both films are great, Doctor Sleep is a badass sequel. Worthy of buying when it comes out.
The Doctor Sleep book is pretty average overall. It doesn't have the Overlook in it at all. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't really "scary". It's more like American Horror Story, it has horror in the name and nothing else that could be considered horror.

Doctor Sleep is like that. It pretends to be a sequel to the Shining, but has nothing really in it from the Shining except the names.

I've been pretty disappointed in his last couple of books, which is a shame because I really enjoyed the heck out of Revival and I was hoping he would be returning to his form after that one.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:45 AM   #11
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The Doctor Sleep book is pretty average overall. It doesn't have the Overlook in it at all.
I was wondering about that. I've read and seen the Shining, and this movie is clearly based as a sequel to the movie. What with how the book ended. So, I was wondering if the book itself was a sequel to the movie or the book.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:52 AM   #12
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
Wait, a Roland Emmerich movie that's actually good and not like all his other movies where he spends 99% of the budget on over-the-top CGI and then hires a high school drop out to write the script?
I liked the movie, but there were definitely some amateurish parts of the script. Especially towards the beginning, but the second half saved it for me.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:57 AM   #13
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The Doctor Sleep book is pretty average overall. It doesn't have the Overlook in it at all. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't really "scary". It's more like American Horror Story, it has horror in the name and nothing else that could be considered horror.

Doctor Sleep is like that. It pretends to be a sequel to the Shining, but has nothing really in it from the Shining except the names.

I've been pretty disappointed in his last couple of books, which is a shame because I really enjoyed the heck out of Revival and I was hoping he would be returning to his form after that one.
I haven't read the books as I said, but I know the Overlook burned down in The Shining book, so it makes sense that it's not in the sequel book.

I hear you about the "horror" comment. But to me, a lot of Stephen King is like that. It may be a dark story, or a story with some horror elements, but they aren't all just straight horror stories. I realized that at some point, so now I don't always expect King stories to be horror.

Doctor Sleep is strange, because it's a really cool movie, but it sort of stands on its own as its own story. It's kind of weird that it is a Shining sequel, because as you said it just has a few of the same characters but the entire story is mostly its own thing. That being said, again it is a good movie, and when it does tie in to the original it is a cool payoff.

It's funny because if you watch the movies back to back, the "shining" aspect of the original is barely that interesting or important. It's more about how this guy loses his mind and tries to kill his family. In Doctor Sleep, the "shining" is basically the main topic of the film.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart