Call of Duty: Black Ops...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 02:15 PM
2 Replies, 338 Views

Old 04-25-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

George RR Martin Delays Next Game Of Thrones Novel, The Winds of Winter, Again

Winter is coming, eventually. GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
George RR Martin has announced a new Game of Thrones book! Don't plan your next A Song of Ice and Fire reading party just yet, though. The new book isn't The Winds of Winter, the long-awaited next installment in his Game of Thrones series of novels. In fact, there's some bad news for fans waiting on that.

Martin has revealed that The Winds of Winter won't be coming in 2018, which is sure to be bad news for those that have been waiting for it since A Dance with Dragons was released in 2011. It's not the first time the book has been delayed though, as Martin has said multiple times that he has missed his own deadlines with the work.

However, he will still have some Game of Thrones content in bookstores this year in the form of Fire and Blood, an "imaginary history" of the Targaryens. The book was previously revealed by the author, who said it was possible both it and The Winds of Winter could arrive in 2018. Clearly, that is no longer the case. In a press release (via Entertainment Weekly), Martin writes, "Fire and Blood is not a novel. This is not a traditional narrative and was never intended to be... let's call this one 'imaginary history' instead. The essential point being the 'history' part. I love reading popular histories myself, and that's what I was aiming for here."

Still, he adds, "there are enough stories here for twenty novels." Hopefully, he isn't planning to write those before The Winds of Winter--which Martin claims he's not turning his attention to--finally arrives for fans.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:28 PM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I used to wonder what the Vegas over/under was on him living to see the series through. Now I have to wonder what the over/under is on him finishing this single book.

Look at the guy, this is not a healthy dude.

vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

At this point I can clearly see George's plan, he's waiting for the TV series to wrap things up to "borrow" ideas to finish his book. If he happens to kick the bucket before that? Well then he's off the hook and he lived in the spotlight and made more money than most of us could ever dream of. Sounds like a win/win for him.
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:22 PM   #4
Terran
Evil Dead

Writing is hard work. I wrote a successful dissertation and it was the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life. Wrestling your ideas onto a blank page is tough. I'd say he has the same odds of actually finishing as a doctoral student...right around a coin toss.

Either way, I don't care. I just want the final season of the show. I must say, however, that I believe I can tell where the show went ahead of his plans for the novels, because there was a conspicuous absence of the death of major characters last season; Hollywood is allergic to killing off important characters, but Martin is not. Once they went off the reservation, big character deaths dried up almost completely.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Maybe his DOS computer finally died, and lost everything he wrote.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:32 PM   #6
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I don't think he ever had a satisfying plan for where this story was going when he started. The only book I really enjoyed so far was the first. The rest wandered too much for my tastes. His prose is great. His story crafting really isn't, not anymore at least.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:29 PM   #7
HB_IKE
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I don't think he ever had a satisfying plan for where this story was going when he started. The only book I really enjoyed so far was the first. The rest wandered too much for my tastes. His prose is great. His story crafting really isn't, not anymore at least.
My take is the same ... he never knew what it let to and not more than ever he fells that he wont make a good ending - Frankenstein ,,, death by the creation
HB_IKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:39 PM   #8
KlausFlouride
Poisoned 2 my rotten core

Quote:
I had thought he had to tell HBO what he was doing before they agreed to pay him since they figured he wouldn't live long enough to finish the series. Meanwhile he's had time to write a 650 page per-quel that nobody wanted.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:44 AM   #9
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
He's one of the most overrated authors period imo. Never mind that every time I see a picture of this guy the only thing that pops into my head is this.

SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:00 AM   #10
zakatti
Knight

Sigh.

Guess I'll watch the series finally, and stop waiting for the books. It's been long enough :/
zakatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:40 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
My problem is that the story he's actually telling - the one involving dragons, the Others, etc - is separated by loads of stuff that doesn't actually contribute to the plot, aside from weakening humanity's strength. He could have told this story in three books, I think.

The showrunners do, however know how the story will end...or, at the very least, how it was originally going to end. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out Martin began changing things once they caught up, which could be explaining some of the delays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
He's one of the most overrated authors period imo. Never mind that every time I see a picture of this guy the only thing that pops into my head is this.

Since blackzc took his ball and went home, did you decide that someone needed to become the new resident racist?

Jesus tapdancing Christ, buddy.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 04-26-2018 at 06:40 AM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:28 AM   #12
wunshot
Subscriber

Martin and Patrick Rothfus should go brokeback and make a baby that is the ultimate procrastinator. At this point I couldn't give a shit about Winds of Winter.... His last two books were dogshit anyways.

If you're looking for a good novel, read "Children of Time" by Adrian Tchaikovsky. It's a really insightful book. If you're looking for something a little more shallow but a lot more fun, go with "Terms of Enlistment" by Marko Kloos. It's Blackhawk down mixed with starship troopers.

Fuck Martin....I hope he chokes on a peuter miniature.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:07 AM   #13
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:

Lol. That pic reminds me that the Shadows of War merchant originally looked like this.

Then ended up like this upon release.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:24 AM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
My problem is that the story he's actually telling - the one involving dragons, the Others, etc - is separated by loads of stuff that doesn't actually contribute to the plot, aside from weakening humanity's strength. He could have told this story in three books, I think.

The showrunners do, however know how the story will end...or, at the very least, how it was originally going to end. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out Martin began changing things once they caught up, which could be explaining some of the delays.

Since blackzc took his ball and went home, did you decide that someone needed to become the new resident racist?

Jesus tapdancing Christ, buddy.
Yeah because calling out Zionist for what they are is racism, hell what isn't racism with your lot Chimpout? Does that mean all Jews are evil? No likely not, I mean they only control most of the banks, hollywood, and steal billions of US dollars a year for the sake of it but hey don't take my word for it, just read up on people like Barbara Lerner Spectre. Here's a quote from this shit bag

"I think there’s a resurgence of anti-Semitism because at this point in time Europe has not yet learned how to be multicultural, and I think we’re gonna be part of the throes of that transformation, which must take place. Europe is not going to be the monolithic societies that they once were in the last century. Jews are going to be at the center of that. It’s a huge transformation for Europe to make. They are now going into a multicultural mode, and Jews will be resented because of our leading role. But without that leading role, and without that transformation, Europe will not survive."

I'd offer up some youtube links but of course Google likes to prevent sharing of videos that go against the liberal narrative so do your own work you ignorant fuck. What you thought all the muslim migration was of their own doing? lol moron.

BTW blackz is likely another Anenome alt, the fag has enough of em.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Yeah because calling out Zionist for what they are is racism, hell what isn't racism with your lot Chimpout? Does that mean all Jews are evil? No likely not, I mean they only control most of the banks, hollywood, and steal billions of US dollars a year for the sake of it but hey don't take my word for it, just read up on people like Barbara Lerner Spectre.
The oldschool "Happy Merchant" imagery you posted is the part that was kinda racist. The rest of it is conspiracy theorist bullshit spouted by the likes of Alex Jones.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:33 AM   #16
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
The oldschool "Happy Merchant" imagery you posted is the part that was kinda racist.
For the love of God, don't click on this then.

Foreigners Around The World by P.J. O'Rourke

For everyone else that doesn't consider themselves "woke"... enjoy.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #17
Vulture
Evil Dead

Quote:
Yeah because calling out Zionist for what they are is racism,...
Well speaking as a Zionist who is not a jew(or an Israeli) but an american, wow you really are uneducated in multiple subjects. Now I have to wonder about all your other posts after that piece of racism.

/back on subject Martin, Jordan, Rothfuss, etc. all had prose and one bit of insight, then they got drunk and wasted at a con party and never recovered their "vision".
Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
For the love of God, don't click on this then.

Foreigners Around The World by P.J. O'Rourke

For everyone else that doesn't consider themselves "woke"... enjoy.
You mean the well-known satirical piece designed to mock racism written back in the 70's?

Something tells me there wasn't much satire in what Spectral was trying to say. I could be wrong, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulture View Post
/back on subject Martin, Jordan, Rothfuss, etc. all had prose and one bit of insight, then they got drunk and wasted at a con party and never recovered their "vision".
This is one of the reasons why I read a lot of Brandon Sanderson's stuff; he's capable of working on multiple series - practically simultaneously - and regularly releases new books each yeah. He keeps his fans updated on progress and does a pretty good job of keeping himself on track and on schedule.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 04-26-2018 at 11:25 AM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #19
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

While I agree with the idea that Martin is only interested in Hollywood money and has never been that invested in the novels, I would suggest that casual racism is not a welcome addition to the forums.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #20
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
You mean the well-known satirical piece designed to mock racism written back in the 70's?

Something tells me there wasn't much satire in what Spectral was trying to say. I could be wrong, though.

This is one of the reasons why I read a lot of Brandon Sanderson's stuff; he's capable of working on multiple series - practically simultaneously - and regularly releases new books each yeah. He keeps his fans updated on progress and does a pretty good job of keeping himself on track and on schedule.
You really need a red pill Chimp. Wake up already.

Tags
game of thrones