29 Replies, 2,140 Views
DC Comic To Launch New...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 12:18 PM
4 Replies, 277 Views

Old 04-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #21
karellan
Squire

Marvel's big problem is that their storylines are all giant events and crossovers that are clearly just attempts to boost sales. They derail any ongoing stories that have a hint of promise and mix them all up in a giant katamari. The only thing that kept me with Marvel as long as it did was my love for the characters, but once they got rid of or changed all their classic heroes to the point that they were unrecognizable, there was absolutely no incentive to stay with them over, say, Image or something, where they can still tell a decent story.

Bringing back a couple of the classics isn't really going to help that much when they've burned so many bridges, so much of their classic lineup is still unrecognizable, and their storylines are still just crossover after event after money-grab. It's obviously just a desperate cry for more sales. I mean, they're bringing back Robert Downey Jr. and the two guys whose movie is coming out next (Thor and Hulk). Could the money-grab be more obvious?
karellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:12 PM   #22
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1985 View Post
It is like some people's minds just can't handle differences of opinion, you know?
This is an apt description of the typical progressive fascist (see the average liberal college student and/or liberal college campus). You've inadvertently made an excellent point, lol.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:42 PM   #23
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
I'm not sure where you get that from. The article explicitly states: "If the teaser is to be believed, Legacy will see the return of Tony Stark as Iron Man and Bruce Banner as Hulk, while Thor Odinson will apparently be reclaiming his hammer Mjolnir. The art also shows the return of classic costumes for Ant-Man, Scarlet Witch, Daredevil and Captain America"
A promo image Marvel released with the announcement showed almost all new characters except for Thor and Doctor Strange. Everyone else was the Bizarro World versions of those characters we have come to know and hate. And there was no classic Iron Man in the image. The Color/Black & White image we included above seems to hint that those characters are returning, but given that the "faces" promo image doesn't show any of the classic characters I wouldn't count on it.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:27 AM   #24
Scherge
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
A promo image Marvel released with the announcement showed almost all new characters except for Thor and Doctor Strange. Everyone else was the Bizarro World versions of those characters we have come to know and hate. And there was no classic Iron Man in the image. The Color/Black & White image we included above seems to hint that those characters are returning, but given that the "faces" promo image doesn't show any of the classic characters I wouldn't count on it.
I still don't understand what you mean. This is the teaser image we're talking about. It's from Quesada and dated "2017" (just to make sure I'm not looking at the wrong picture). It shows all classic heroes - classic Spider-Man, classic Iron Man armor (that's certainly NOT what Riri Williams is currently wearing), classic Thor etc. It shows a work in progress (note the "X"s on the right which mark black areas, indicating that this image will be completely inked and colored at some point). It does NOT just show the people on the left and leave the black-and-white ones "in the past" or whatever. And, yes, sure they're wearing masks, but "classic costume" - to me - means "classic character".

I have to admit I'm not sure which "faces" promo image you were talking about, though. Was it part of the official announcement? Anyway, I have no doubt that Marvel will bring back the old characters and - hopefully - story arcs. I just hope they find a way to resurrect James Rhodes along the way...

Oh, and not to offend you, but I find the "Nazi Captain America" run interesting. To me, the greatest thing about Steve Rogers have always been his convictions (my favorite story was "Man Without a Country"). This Hydra (yeah, I'm nitpicking, but as a German, I'd like to state there's a difference between Marvel's Hydra and real-world nazis) story arc shows very nicely where these convictions can lead if you move the starting point just by a tiny bit. Besides, I'm willing to bet money they'll resolve the whole Cosmic Cube thing anyway, by the time "Legacy" rolls in...
Old 04-25-2017, 07:11 AM   #25
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Old 04-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #26
ashikenshin
Subscriber

is that squirrel girl?
ashikenshin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:33 AM   #27
Scherge
Subscriber

And Rocket Racer? Or is this supposed to be Falcon? Damn, it's hard to place some of these faces. Anyway, I see what you mean. I don't know what to make of this image either - there doesn't seem to be a system here. Some heroes have both incarnations, some not, there's Deadpool but no X-Men (that I know of), there's Ben Grimm, but no Fantastic Four... Weird.

Also, I really don't like the art itself. It looks like one artist tried to copy the styles of other artists, and then the inker and colorist just made everything look the same again.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:42 AM   #28
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
is that squirrel girl?
Yes, it is. And the world is made a little bit dimmer as a result.

Tags
marvel, marvel comi