Today 12:39 PM
8 Replies, 778 Views

Old 04-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Marvel Comics Gets Back to Basics This Fall

IGN has the story.

Quote:
If the teaser is to be believed, Legacy will see the return of Tony Stark as Iron Man and Bruce Banner as Hulk, while Thor Odinson will apparently be reclaiming his hammer Mjolnir. The art also shows the return of classic costumes for Ant-Man, Scarlet Witch, Daredevil and Captain America (though we have to wonder if Steve Rogers will still be wearing the Captain America costume at that point).

Legacy will officially begin this fall with a 50-page, one-shot special called Marvel Legacy #1. This issue will reunite Thor: God of Thunder creative team Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic as the duo lay the groundwork for what's to come in the Marvel Universe and chronicle the return of a major character.

“The Marvel Legacy initiative is a celebration of everything that makes Marvel the best in fiction and it’s a signifier of a new era for Marvel Comics,” said Quesada in Marvel's press release. “It’s a loving look at the heart of Marvel as we embrace our roots and move enthusiastically forward with all the Marvel characters you know and love starring in the biggest, boldest, best Marvel stories. All of which kicks off with the giant Marvel Legacy special.”

From there, Legacy will see many Marvel titles revert to their classic numbering, though Marvel didn't reveal which specific books will be undergoing that shift. But regardless, the goal is for every new and existing series to offer readers a fresh jumping-on point as Legacy begins.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The big problem here is that they aren't going back to the basics. Female Iron Man is still in, Black Spider-Man is still in, Asian Hulk is still in, Female Wolverine is still in and the Fantastic Four are still out (not to mention that Cap is still going to be a Nazi).

So, they are returning to their basics with none of the basic characters? Honestly, it sounds like they only thing they are doing is a more retro style cover art and the re-numbering of a few titles.

That's it.

They have the right idea, but they seem unwilling to give up any of their failed ideas in the process. SJW's always double down.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

It's never the ideas that are the problem to SJWs, it's the idiots who won't swallow them wholesale that are the problem.

When the comic movie craze blows up, and it surely will, Disney will have an ESPN-sized collapse on its hands with Marvel. It will be a mess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:25 PM   #4
hund_
Evil Dead

I guess there just moving on to their next audience more Asian,black,Hispanic,and lgbt and less not Asian,black,Hispanic,and lgbt
Old 04-22-2017, 11:10 PM   #5
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The big problem here is that they aren't going back to the basics. Female Iron Man is still in, Black Spider-Man is still in, Asian Hulk is still in, Female Wolverine is still in and the Fantastic Four are still out (not to mention that Cap is still going to be a Nazi).

So, they are returning to their basics with none of the basic characters? Honestly, it sounds like they only thing they are doing is a more retro style cover art and the re-numbering of a few titles.

That's it.

They have the right idea, but they seem unwilling to give up any of their failed ideas in the process. SJW's always double down.
... Son of a, and I had my hopes up for a minute.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:44 AM   #6
Paranoia
Evil Dead

Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:30 AM   #7
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Quote:

That's it.

I really, really don't get this logic at all. Keeping on the new characters they made while restoring the older ones to prominence alongside them should not be a problem whatsoever.

And whining about keeping X23 just makes me shake my head.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:57 AM   #8
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

I agree 100% ..!.. marvel and the SJW crew that has destroyed them.

However you're wrong about X-23 she has been around way before the SJW takeover and if you read her backstory she isn't a glorified feminist, however i haven't been keeping up with the "new wolverine" so maybe she went feminist on me.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:12 AM   #9
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1985 View Post
I really, really don't get this logic at all. Keeping on the new characters they made while restoring the older ones to prominence alongside them should not be a problem whatsoever.

Of course you don't, you special little cucked flower that you are.
SpectralThundr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:49 AM   #10
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
I really, really don't get this logic at all.
What a surprise! I just can't believe it! A liberal living in the hive mind doesn't understand conservative values!

Quote:
Haidt found that self-described liberals, especially those who called themselves “very liberal,” were worse at predicting the moral judgments of moderates and conservatives than moderates and conservatives were at predicting the moral judgments of liberals. Liberals don’t understand conservative values. And they can’t recognize this failing, because they’re so convinced of their rationality, open-mindedness and enlightenment.
Conservatives understand liberals. We live in more mixed (ideologically, racially) neighborhoods and work in a more diverse world than liberals do (look up the stats; the most racially and ideologically narrowminded of regions are blue ones, the most diverse are red). Liberals do not understand conservatives, and are actively trying to make any ideas they disagree with equate to 'hate speech' and impossible to even hear.

So of course you don't understand! You're narrow minded, live in a bubble, and are basically an ideological and social fundamentalist and fascist.
Quote:
Old 04-23-2017, 07:11 AM   #11
DingBat
Evil Dead

You do realize that's not what Haidt is saying, right? That he's saying that left and right are populated by exactly the same kind of people thinking in exactly the same kind of way: Jumping to conclusions and justifying after the fact.
DingBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #12
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
You do realize that's not what Haidt is saying, right? That he's saying that left and right are populated by exactly the same kind of people thinking in exactly the same kind of way: Jumping to conclusions and justifying after the fact.
this is silly.

both believe what they're saying is true and attack it with something called conviction, so in that way it's similar, the rest is just a ploy.

Rome fell because of liberals in their day as will the west, they had two parties just like we did, and guess what?

The difference is one system works, one system has been proven to work and is logically backed up by facts and statistics made far before anyone had "bias" to libtardation destroyed the western world.

Why do you think China is still around as a example, they're traditional and nationalistic, though the sausage fest is about to get real this coming generation.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:

It isn't X23 that I have a problem with, it is this idea that they are claiming they are returning to their root characters while they are not using ANY of the root characters except Thor and Doctor Strange.

That's a huge problem that they just don't know how to overcome with their current leadership. This is a really good example of why you don't make artists the lead designer. Artists are NOT writers. DC has the same problem, Jim Lee is in charge over there and their comics are in a complete shamble right now.

Marvel has Quesada in charge. He's a great artist, but a shit writer and a shit manager.

The people in charge of the business end of things need to be the biz guys. Guys like Stan Lee who were decent creators on their own, but who had the real magic of undstanding the market and understanding what people wanted to read and the ability to identify great talent. That was really Stan Lee's magic. He saw people like Kirby and Romita and made them the star and their comics sold like gangbusters for decades.

Until Marvel fully commits to just setting their universe back to the "core" they will keep failing and keep throwing out weird events hoping that people latch onto them.

No one buys Female Iron Man, or Black Spider-Man (who I actually think is kind of a neat character who does deserve his own title, IMHO), or Female Thor or Female Wolverine or Asian Hulk. Those characters just don't draw in the readers the way the classic versions of those characters do.

They need to start a line of Marvel comics and call them "Classic Marvel" or "Ultimate Marvel" or "Marvel Core" or some nonsense like that and just have it be the straight normal versions of those characters in plot lines that somewhat resemble what is going on in the movies. That would sell. (And it would make great trade & hardcover versions to sell along side the newest movie.)

Until they realize that, they will keep lagging behind DC (who still has Batman to drive them to the top of the charts every month) and lagging behind whatever weird crap Image is promoting that month.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #14
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
You do realize that's not what Haidt is saying, right?
For those who can't read:

Quote:
Haidt found that self-described liberals, especially those who called themselves “very liberal,” were worse at predicting the moral judgments of moderates and conservatives than moderates and conservatives were at predicting the moral judgments of liberals. Liberals don’t understand conservative values. And they can’t recognize this failing, because they’re so convinced of their rationality, open-mindedness and enlightenment.
One group (the right) understands the other (the left). The other (the left) is a closeminded circlejerk of fascist fundamentalists who want to tell you what you can think or say, and they don't even recognize it. They can't. It's like asking a piece of paper to see in three dimensions. It's impossible.

Do people tend to agree with people they agree with? No shit Sherlock. The point Haidt makes is that one group (the left) is unable to even understand the other (the right), but not vice versa.

That's not all! Liberals are racists who live in racially segregated communities, while conservatives live in mixed communities. This is statistical, empirical, objective reality. Liberals are hypocritical racists, so it's no wonder a snowflake couldn't understand the perspective of a conservative regarding Marvel's bastardizing old characters for diversity rather than creating new ones. When you live in the bubble, you don't even recognize you're in a bubble.

Quote:
Old 04-23-2017, 02:05 PM   #15
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
What a surprise! I just can't believe it! A liberal living in the hive mind doesn't understand conservative values!

Conservatives understand liberals. We live in more mixed (ideologically, racially) neighborhoods and work in a more diverse world than liberals do (look up the stats; the most racially and ideologically narrowminded of regions are blue ones, the most diverse are red). Liberals do not understand conservatives, and are actively trying to make any ideas they disagree with equate to 'hate speech' and impossible to even hear.

So of course you don't understand! You're narrow minded, live in a bubble, and are basically an ideological and social fundamentalist and fascist.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #16
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:

That's it.

Your implying Marvel isnt a company run by SJW sympathizers? Comics have also been progressive. With progressiveism its less about an ideology and more about just tearing down whatever the accepted culture is. There is no end game. Knowing this, how can you spend money on comics?
Old 04-24-2017, 03:27 AM   #17
vivafletcher
Evil Dead

Wow. People who complain about snowflakes always seem to be the angriest people ready to melt down. Why so serious? You can't discuss a comic book company without lashing out?

Once your tears dry, you'll realize that Marvel is a company that always tries to reinvent things, usually unsuccessfully (how many #1 issues can you buy of the same character?). So they'll keep changing and yet not changing just like they've ALWAYS done.
You'll note that the movies usually stick to the basic, traditional heroes we all know and love. That's where the money is. The books are more creative and take liberties with backstories and identities, just like always. No reason to panic.

And on the off chance that anyone cares about actual diversity analysis instead of angry rhetoric:

https://wallethub.com/edu/cities-wit...versity/10264/
vivafletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:32 AM   #18
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

I buy $50-$80 of comics every week. 90% of them are DC and Image, ever since Marvel started being too on the nose.

Remember when DC made the news by having "Green Lantern marry a man"?

I didn't really care; it was on Earth-2. I still had the regular Alan Scott and Hal Jordan. That's the way to do it. Don't replace Iron Man and Thor, make new characters!

Of course there may come a time when the story dictates that you need to replace a hero, but to do nearly every character within the same year became obvious and ridiculous.

Look, in reality Marvel should do whatever they want. It's their company, not mine. The consumer will simply react to what they do, and buy what we want to buy. So go for it, Marvel. Do what you want. I'll buy what I want.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:07 AM   #19
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivafletcher View Post
Wow. People who complain about snowflakes always seem to be the angriest people ready to melt down. Why so serious? You can't discuss a comic book company without lashing out?

Once your tears dry, you'll realize that Marvel is a company that always tries to reinvent things, usually unsuccessfully (how many #1 issues can you buy of the same character?). So they'll keep changing and yet not changing just like they've ALWAYS done.
You'll note that the movies usually stick to the basic, traditional heroes we all know and love. That's where the money is. The books are more creative and take liberties with backstories and identities, just like always. No reason to panic.

And on the off chance that anyone cares about actual diversity analysis instead of angry rhetoric:

https://wallethub.com/edu/cities-wit...versity/10264/
Yeah, the meltdowns in this thread for me even suggesting I disagreed with a statement were pretty hilarious. It is like some people's minds just can't handle differences of opinion, you know?
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:12 AM   #20
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
It isn't X23 that I have a problem with, it is this idea that they are claiming they are returning to their root characters while they are not using ANY of the root characters except Thor and Doctor Strange.
I'm not sure where you get that from. The article explicitly states: "If the teaser is to be believed, Legacy will see the return of Tony Stark as Iron Man and Bruce Banner as Hulk, while Thor Odinson will apparently be reclaiming his hammer Mjolnir. The art also shows the return of classic costumes for Ant-Man, Scarlet Witch, Daredevil and Captain America"

Other than that, I agree with what most people here are saying. The old characters are/were popular for a reason. Why phase them out and replace them with "2016 models" in the first place? It's not like every character from the past 60 years was a success. Marvel and DC tried (and canceled) new concepts all the time. However, this trend of "out with the old, in with the new" seems fairly recent.

Me? I'd just like some continuity once in a while. I remember the good old 80s and early 90s, where Peter Parker was married to Mary Jane, and after beating the villain du jour, he returned home and learned about her day as a model/actress/expectant mother. Now? I don't think I've seen Tony Stark alive and/or well for more than 10 issues in a row. Sometimes he's dead, then he's evil, then he's not a Stark at all. Currently, he's an A.I. - great.

Tags
marvel, marvel comi