Today 02:23 PM
1,764 Replies, 190,001 Views

Old 07-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Marvel Heroes Omega - PS4 and Xbox One Launch Trailer

Click on the Headline for the Trailer.

Quote:
Marvel Heroes Omega assembles one of the largest gatherings of iconic Super Heroes, Super Villains, and locations from the Marvel Universe for PlayStation®4 and Xbox One®. Band together with fellow adventurers, take the fight to Doctor Doom in an epic nine-chapter story campaign, and experience your favorite heroes, including Captain America, Daredevil, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Captain Marvel, and more!
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

TL;DR:
Fuck this game. I was a founder and I've put 3k+ hours into it and probably $4,000. I even stuck with them through launch and their ridiculous rebranding to Marvel Heroes 2015 and 2016 to ditch their legacy of horrid reviews when they totally fucked up (especially the launch reviews).

In January they did a huge update. A good MMO needs revision to keep it fresh especially when moving to new platforms however with however they only did 50% of the job.

After ripping out the guts of the character, post max level advancement system, stats, talents, and all that other stuff they failed to re-itemize so 90% of the character specific unique loot is basically worthless. With so few ways to improve your character now this equipment was very valuable toward improving the performance of your character but now worthless until they get around to it (which has been dropped from "March/April" to "TBD".

Longer:
In it they changed stats, characters, traits, and the Omega system (post-max level power system). This is fine, MMOs have to do this to keep the game healthy. However what ISN'T fine is:

1) Minor: They ripped any "flavor" from the omega system in favor of a bland, Diablo style Paragon system themed around the Infinity Gems. Which could have been cool except the theme is only one click deep.

In the old system you earned points toward some pretty awesome powers that were time consuming but while working toward those powers you could sink points into interesting stuff like "Starktech" which gave you +damage to bosses. When you finally had enough points for the big power you reclaimed everything and bought the biggie.

Now you just have points banked with no benefit while you wait to earn the next 24 points for a level of +1 int or +1% movement or whatever boring and low impact "improvement". A character at the previous max omega would have more versatility and have been able to fill some holes in their character (like "mana" regen). That character transferred into the Infinity system is only slightly more powerful than a fresh, out of the box, character.

2) Major: They re-balanced all the stats, characters, talents, and core systems but DIDN'T re-itemize around this ground shaking change. This is still yet to be scheduled. It was originally supposed to happen in the March/April time frame but they've moved it out indefinitely. Therefore most of the character specific uniques you get are basically shit.

In the meantime they also removed any out of combat value of the extra uniques you collected. It used to be if you gathered 4 or 5 of the same item so you could convert them into credit chests or relics at the crafter.

This was important because crafting in Marvel is EXPENSIVE and the cash you earn is quite low from mobs. And relic drops are fairly uncommon so collecting a full stack of 1000 of any particular type is extraordinary time consuming.

Anyway, it's diverting but it's half the game it used to be. No real spice or flavor but enough vareity to keep people occupied for a while until the end game grind. I don't like the new funnel for the story campaign, it used to be a lot more free-form but now a new user is totally channeled through. That's a minor quibble.

Oh, and as of July 1st they removed the Fantastic 4 characters (including the Silver Surfer), specific villains, achievements, costumes, and most things related to them (like several Spiderman costumes)

Last edited by vallor; 07-01-2017 at 07:22 PM..
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:45 PM   #4
m.c.
Death Knight

Wow. Thanks for that long sharing. Was considering giving it a try. After reading your experience, I think I will give it a miss.
m.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:20 AM   #5
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

A lot of people weren't too happy about dropping the Omega system for the Infinity system on account of 'flavor', but I always thought the omega system was a convoluted mess. You needed way too many points to do anything interesting, and almost every build was a near copy regardless of character. An interesting idea, maybe, but very poorly implemented. Wasn't really bothered by them changing it out. Infinity might be bland, but you feel the benefits at any stage of infinity point earnings.

Waiting for the next part of the BUE sucks; I agree that [what anyone could even call] endgame is a mess right now. They took so long getting the first part out though that half the community was up in arms about lack of new playable content. Sounds like they diverted dev resources to churn content out, and that added dev time to BUE. Not sure how I feel about that one way or the other. At least we just got a new terminal and have more new content on the roadmap. Looking forward to the Apocalypse terminal.

Killing the value on uniques is definitely the most annoying thing. The reasoning about 'flooding us with uniques before the update removes them but not wanting to damage the economy' would've made more sense if the update were happening anytime near them flipping that switch. Last month they said they were still aiming for Omega gear "sometime in the June to September 2017 timeframe".

Their losing the licensing for the Fantastic Four is from the Marvel side of stuff, nothing they could do about that. Marvel's pulling them out of everything--even their new comic lineup. Sucks the notice was so short though. Not sure if that's on account of contract stuff from Marvel, or if it was Gaz being inconsiderate to the userbase. Apparently they never made it to the console version.

Quote:
I don't like the new funnel for the story campaign, it used to be a lot more free-form but now a new user is totally channeled through. That's a minor quibble.
Guess you were prolly there back in beta when the areas were originally this way, before they added the open areas so people could have a 'more multiplayer experience'. Always though the giant bland open areas were a huge nuisance. No point to the massive slogs once they added Patrols though, which are 10000000 times better for that purpose. Rewards were never worthwhile (until recently), and you'd only spend enough time there to wade through a few hordes of tedious encounters. Kinda wish the revamp on Chap 7 did as much to remove that nonsense as they did on the earlier levels.

I like that story mode actually feels like a solid, worthwhile story mode, and the other annoying stuff got moved into things that are actually fun to do on their own. Really takes the sting out of having to replay it so much for each new character and prestige. That coupled with the new power/talent setup (which I love) has me enjoying playing through new characters again. I'd prolly have been way more annoyed about the incomplete BUE if those two changes hadn't made me so happy.

_ _ _ _

Should be noted that we're talking the PC version... the console version mentioned in the OP has some major differences. Same developer though. Annoying that 'omega' references three different things in the context of the game.

Last edited by Capt_Thad; 07-02-2017 at 12:42 AM..
Capt_Thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:26 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Thad View Post
A lot of people weren't too happy about dropping the Omega system for the Infinity system on account of 'flavor', but I always thought the omega system was a convoluted mess.
Yes, I totally agree it needed a revamp however what we ended up with is a bland vanilla rework. At the very least they could have kept the names of the powers instead of just "+1 int" or whatever it could still be called "Phoenix Star Supernova 10000 level 1" or something.

Quote:
Waiting for the next part of the BUE sucks; I agree that [what anyone could even call] endgame is a mess right now. They took so long getting the first part out though that half the community was up in arms about lack of new playable content.
(For those not sure what BUE means = "Biggest Update Ever", the January massive revision to the game)

I'm glad they're adding content. I think people would have been as happy if they'd just finished what they started in a timely fashion and then started new content. The extra 2 months of character balancing now diverted to new content is exacerbating the re-itemization problem.

Without the re-itemization the end game will continue to have problems and considering how fast a player can get to 60 the brick wall at the end will churn them out of the game. During the anniversary event that ended last week you could get a green or blue prestige character from 33 to 60 just by doing the solo campaign up to Hood.

At least they've introduced new artifacts which cover some of the gaps (cosmic artifacts).

Quote:
Should be noted that we're talking the PC version... the console version mentioned in the OP has some major differences. Same developer though. Annoying that 'omega' references three different things in the context of the game.
Yeah, thanks for clarifying. However I think most of what we're talking about is shared but the problems with, in particular itemization, are still relevant. It will be just as broken there until they get around to it.

I still jump in from time to time but until they get the re-itemization I'm not going to be regular player again.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:48 AM   #7
bub64882
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
TL;DR:
Fuck this game.
I gave up about 50 hours in, and they only got me for about 80 bucks.

I would imagine that a real Marvel Universe game from a real developer would print money. This was a cash grab. That it's still going seems to mean it was a successful cash grab.
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:56 AM   #8
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

vallor/thad thx for the extra details.

PS you two should collab on an Evil Review for this game!
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gazillion entertainment, marvel, marvel heroes omega