Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Pure Evil - Incredible...
Last post by ElektroDragon
Today 10:21 AM
23 Replies, 1,068 Views
Ace Combat 7's E3...
Last post by ElektroDragon
Today 10:17 AM
3 Replies, 512 Views
More bad news for...
Last post by ElektroDragon
Today 09:25 AM
13 Replies, 961 Views
Weekend Headbanger -...
Last post by ElektroDragon
Today 09:20 AM
8 Replies, 639 Views
CD Projekt Red Confirms...
Last post by ElektroDragon
Today 09:18 AM
12 Replies, 1,137 Views
12 PlayStation VR Hidden...
Last post by Metal Jesus
Today 08:08 AM
10 Replies, 641 Views
Shooting the SCAR in...
Last post by Scherge
Today 01:18 AM
14 Replies, 1,079 Views
Picts - Waiting to...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Yesterday 09:30 PM
18,093 Replies, 2,767,488 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff
 
Emabulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 30,946
Blog Entries: 58
In 2017 Marvel Comics Finally Realized Social Justice Doesn’t Sell


Dangerous has the story.

Quote:
As MILO pointed out on Breitbart in 2016, readers were abandoning Marvel Comics in droves following the tide of social justice-infused comics—highlighting Thor’s transformation into a woman. Not literally, of course—but the publisher has, among other things, altered existing characters like Iceman for the sake of diversity; or retired old ones, like Iron Man’s Tony Stark, to introduce “diverse” new ones, like a black teenage girl.

While progressive critics embraced the changes, comic book enthusiasts found new heroes elsewhere and abandoned their loyalty to Marvel.

News of the company’s return to classic comics fare derives from a listing for Marvel’s upcoming slate of comics in 2018, which was released on December 19. A wide array of socially-charged comics are missing from that list. Notably, comics to get the axe include America Chavez, which features a lesbian Latina woman; and Iceman, who is now gay. The female-led She-Hulk, the black-themed Luke Cage, as written by David F. Walker, and Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Black Panther, have also been canceled.

Walker indicated on Twitter that Luke Cage has been canceled due to poor book sales. The comic, he says, was canceled because “it sold poorly. VERY poorly.”
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:41 PM   #2
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,546
This is a missive that looks like it was written by an idiot who has no idea how comics work.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:57 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,303
Progressive ideology once again crashing into the harsh reality of how the world and economics actually work.

#MakeComicsGreatAgain!
__________________
Why would Republicans pass such a terrible tax law? lol...

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:04 AM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 6,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
This is a missive that looks like it was written by an idiot who has no idea how comics work.
I understood everything he wrote but I also know about each piece of the puzzle he's talking about.

Unfortunately his lack of important facts like how many total books were cancelled and what percentage of them were due to a loss of sales which can be traced even tangentially to the SJW influence?

Without that and other facts kids and adults who don't know how to think critically are just gonna get riled up.

I mean if the same % of lgbt books were cancelled as non SJW books then it's totally different than if every single SJW tainted book was cancelled and only one non-tainted book.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:03 AM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 32,473
Blog Entries: 20
The article is fairly accurate, pretty much everything Marvel has done with female or black characters has failed all year (and going back even further than that) leading them to pledge to a "return to traditional characters and teams", but when it came time to do that new launch they stuck with weird characters like Asian Hulk and Female Wolverine and a pretty much unrecognizable X-Men team.

Earlier in the year one of their marketing guys was heard on camera saying that those SJW books don't sell and they got a big backlash as a result and had to apologize, but that's the reality. This stuff doesn't sell.

The whole comic book industry is hurting. The biggest books like Batman, Spider-Man & Walking Dead barely break 100k copies a month and most of the Marvel books only average about 30k to 50k a month.

Compare that to the 80's when Spider-Man #300 sold a whopping 1.5 million copies.

At some point, Marvel/Disney is either going to give up the print end of the business or realize that they have to go back to CORE characters and teams and make the books match what we see in the movies if they expect them to sell to the movie fans.

DC is also in for a rude awakening. Their twice a month plan is tanking hard.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead
 
Mad Max RW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 776
At the NY Comic Con they had a behind closed doors conference where the crowd was primarily made up of store owners. One after another lambasted Marvel for how their SJW narrative ruined sales. The little coverage this got was interpreted as "misogynist comic store owners are crybabies".

The industry crashed before in the 90s/early 00s. Marvel Comics probably wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the movies and selling the rights to multiple properties to different studios then the miracle of Marvel Studios.
Mad Max RW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
solinari6
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 401
EvilAvatar is posting articles quoting Milo and Breitbart now? Is that what this site has come to?
solinari6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:43 AM   #8
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff
 
Emabulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 30,946
Blog Entries: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
At the NY Comic Con they had a behind closed doors conference where the crowd was primarily made up of store owners. One after another lambasted Marvel for how their SJW narrative ruined sales. The little coverage this got was interpreted as "misogynist comic store owners are crybabies".

The industry crashed before in the 90s/early 00s. Marvel Comics probably wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the movies and selling the rights to multiple properties to different studios then the miracle of Marvel Studios.
A person from the comics store that I used to get weekly orders from called and asked me why I stopped ordering from them. I told her it was not them. It was because Marvel had killed the books I liked. (Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, Wolverine, Avengers etc.) And DC killed Batman, Detective Comics and Catwoman with low quality books.

I will start buying X-Men when Marvel brings Wolverine, Kitty Pryde, non-butch Storm and the rest of them back together.

As for DC, who recently hired SJW book destroyer Brian Michael Bendis; good luck with that.

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:49 AM   #9
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 7,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
This is a missive that looks like it was written by an idiot who has no idea how comics work.
He's an idiot why Jiz? Because he's not a whiny oppressed progressive bitch like yourself?
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:52 PM   #10
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 442
They need to quit screwing with my childhood super heroes. I'm not buying the new crap they spew out. I don't buy comics for being PC.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:56 PM   #11
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
He's an idiot why Jiz? Because he's not a whiny oppressed progressive bitch like yourself?
He’s an idiot because he’s writing like the cancellation of a few Marvel books is a “victory” while simultaneously ignoring that:

A) books get cancelled all the time.
B) most of these lineup changes were always meant to be temporary.
C)characters like Iceman have NEVER had lasting books dedicated to them and, indeed, only characters like Wolverine and Deadpool do.

Because your a drooling idiot, let me reiterate that I have NEVER liked Marvels changes and have argued against them from the start. But I also dislike poor logic and rhetoric. As usual, I don’t subscribe to your “it’s good because I agree with it” school of thought.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead
 
Mad Max RW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 776
One of the driving forces of the previous industry crash was the over-abundance of comics. There was a time when every minor character had a solo series. Few sold, and that's why up until recently Wolverine was in practically everything. The mistakes Marvel has been making in the last several years are much the same as before with the extra ingredient of SJW poison making all of their properties unpalatable to long time fans. It really is a disaster.

Anybody who truly cared about comics should be cheering when Marvel bites the bullet and cancels these abominations before taking down the whole industry again. After Old Man Logan in 2008 it's like they went off a cliff and I don't know if they'll get me back again, forget the legions of fans.
Mad Max RW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:32 PM   #13
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
One of the driving forces of the previous industry crash was the over-abundance of comics. There was a time when every minor character had a solo series. Few sold, and that's why up until recently Wolverine was in practically everything. The mistakes Marvel has been making in the last several years are much the same as before with the extra ingredient of SJW poison making all of their properties unpalatable to long time fans. It really is a disaster.

Anybody who truly cared about comics should be cheering when Marvel bites the bullet and cancels these abominations before taking down the whole industry again. After Old Man Logan in 2008 it's like they went off a cliff and I don't know if they'll get me back again, forget the legions of fans.
All I can do is speak formyself and my problems with Marvel books spring from them, ironically, becoming more like what I attribute as lassi ally bring wrong with DC.

I don’t like ‘multiverse’ stories. I don’t like superhero “families” where 10 people all riff off the main hero. I don’t like “lore’ stories where a writer sends the hero to their fantasy world and nothing about the book has anything to do with what we recognize as being “reality”.

I couldn’t care less about Tony Stark being replaced. People seem to forget that before the movies, iron man was a c-tier character who was mostly known for being an alcoholic and the book never moving past that storyline like Jean Grey never moves past being the Phoenix.

For marvel to get me back, they have to stop rebooting their series every 8 issues and allow the characters to live for a while. They also have to allow them to get dirty again. There’s a reason why Tony being a drunk was such a hard story to move past. It was a memorable story. So was a Rogue stealing Ms Marvels powers and putting her in a coma. Allow the characters to live with the ramifications of their decisions.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:22 PM   #14
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,303
Quote:
For marvel to get me back, they have to stop rebooting their series every 8 issues and allow the characters to live for a while.
A decent point. Folks who want in on comics find it absolutely mind-bogglingly difficult to actually follow a storyline properly. They yank and twist and curve and stop and start and follow weird numbering and crossover to different series and turn on a dime and rape the memory of characters and then reboot.

It's like they have a hummingbird on crack typing out a new story or permutation with each beat of its wings.
__________________
Why would Republicans pass such a terrible tax law? lol...

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #15
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 6,855
Two people have hit the nail on the head for me with their comments for me. Besides the SJW pandering the simple fact is Marvel priced me out of the hobby a long time ago.

1) Universe-wide crossover events
This first happened to me in the first Secret Wars with The Beyonder in the 80s. I suddenly I had to pick up some issues of books I never read before to get the whole story. At least then it was just a few extra issues now it is a frickin maze of issues and series

2) Collector and alternative covers
These days it seems like all it takes is the smallest reason to create a set of variant covers. Of course you've got to get them all because who knows which will be THE cover? It seems these days it isn't unusual to see a book launch with 5 different covers and exclusives for some outlets or whatever.

Even Thinkgeek gets exclusive covers for some of these books!

3) Too much alt-universe stuff
I think there was a line in Deadpool, or one of the recent movies about "is there a team Wolverine HASN'T been on?" And it's so true. Some characters, the popular ones, have 6 books all with divergent timelines and even origin stories.

At this point it is so expensive even an adult might find it it difficult to do much more than casually collect comics. Any level of hobbyship seems insane where as my tech hobbies have gone exactly the opposite direction and gotten cheaper over time.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #16
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bawwston
Posts: 7,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
He’s an idiot because he’s writing like the cancellation of a few Marvel books is a “victory” while simultaneously ignoring that:

A) books get cancelled all the time.
B) most of these lineup changes were always meant to be temporary.
C)characters like Iceman have NEVER had lasting books dedicated to them and, indeed, only characters like Wolverine and Deadpool do.

Because your a drooling idiot, let me reiterate that I have NEVER liked Marvels changes and have argued against them from the start. But I also dislike poor logic and rhetoric. As usual, I don’t subscribe to your “it’s good because I agree with it” school of thought.
Being a whiny SJW yourself you seem awful upset about it. But that's par for the course.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:54 PM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 32,473
Blog Entries: 20
Sideshow posted this image today...



That is the Hot Toys lineup of characters from the Marvel cinematic universe.

Would you rather read about those guys... or this?





I think that is a perfect illustration of why Marvel comics are failing and the Marvel cinematic universe is flourishing. The comics are a SJW sinkhole, the movies are full of fun characters you want to know more about.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:18 AM   #18
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Sideshow posted this image today...



That is the Hot Toys lineup of characters from the Marvel cinematic universe.

Would you rather read about those guys... or this?





I think that is a perfect illustration of why Marvel comics are failing and the Marvel cinematic universe is flourishing. The comics are a SJW sinkhole, the movies are full of fun characters you want to know more about.
This is such a bizarre post. I understand what your getting at, but adding the Hot Toys image is... weird. What is that supposed to be proving? And it’s a photo with like 10 characters represented dozens of times. Are you trying to say that you want to read comics about white dudes wearing lots of different outfits? Because that’s gayer than the iceman cover...
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:21 AM   #19
Paranoia
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,281
SJW ruin Marvel comics. Marvel thought they can get Tumblr crowd to buy their politically correct titles.

Turns out SJWs rather pirate comics than buying one.

Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:44 AM   #20
Mojopin
Evil Dead
 
Mojopin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BEHIND YOU!!!
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Being a whiny SJW yourself you seem awful upset about it. But that's par for the course.
Being a cocksucker who can't answer a well thought out post and instead goes to "...you mad bro?" is pretty much par the course with you and all your ilk.
Mojopin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
marvel, marvel comics

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:32 AM.