Picts - Waiting to...
Last post by vallor
Yesterday 06:28 PM
18,521 Replies, 3,477,541 Views

Old 06-30-2019, 04:56 PM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

One Quarter One Play - Ghouls'n Ghosts

Ghouls'n Ghosts. I don't like my chances here. Click on the headline to learn more about the game, and see how far I get on one quarter with no practice rounds.
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:56 PM   #2
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

I don’t know why I felt like punishing myself this Sunday, but I did. This week’s One Quarter One Play is the Ghost‘n Goblins sequel Ghouls‘n Ghosts. Released to the arcades in 1988, Ghouls‘n Ghosts was developed and published by Capcom.

The story of the game is basic, but does what it needs to for a side-scrolling action game. It’s three years after the events that took place in the first game. Once again demons and other monsters have returned. Princess Prin Prin is struck with a light beam, and Lucifer has taken her soul. It’s up to Arthur once again to defeat Lucifer, and return the princesses soul to her body. So, we’re off to save a princess!

Ghouls‘n Ghosts plays a lot like it’s predecessor with Arthur starting out with a lance for a weapon that he throws. Other weapons can be collected along the way, but Arthur can only hold one weapon at a time. Armor upgrades can be found along the way as well.

Overall I find Ghouls‘n Ghosts to be a very hard game. I did better after a few practice rounds, and while it is a tough game; I think it’s fair, and that’s why I keep coming back.

Hardware
Ghouls‘n Ghosts ran on Capcom’s CP System, or CPS. Prior to the CPS Capcom used a lot of different hardware configurations. This was costly, and Capcom set out to create a system board that would used to run multiple games. The Street Fighter II games are the best known that used this system board.

CPU:
  • Primary: Motorola 68000 @ 10 MHz (some later boards 12 MHz)
  • Secondary: Zilog Z80 @ 3.579 MHz
Sound chips:
  • Yamaha YM2151 @ 3.579 MHz
  • Oki OKI6295 @ 1 MHz (7.576 kHz samples)
Display
  • Resolution: Raster, 384x224 @ 59.6294 Hz
  • Color depth: 16-bit (12-bit RGB with 4-bit brightness value)
  • Colors available: 65,536[1]
  • Onscreen colors: 4096[1] (192 global palettes with 16 colors each)
  • Sprites:
  • Simultaneously displayable: 256 (per scanlines)
  • Sizes: 16x16, max. 16 colors (15 unique + 1 transparent)
  • Vertical and horizontal flipping capability
  • Tiles: Sizes 8x8, 16x16, 32x32 with 16 colors (15 unique + 1 transparent)
  • Tile maps: 3 maps, 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048 pixel
RAM:
  • 64 KB WORK RAM + 192 KB VRAM (Shadow)
  • PPU: 192 KB VRAM + 16 KB CACHE RAM
  • Z80 RAM: 2 KB WORK RAM

So here is my first play today with no practice rounds. I was disappointed that I picked up the sword

Several ports were released to just about every computer and console at the time. I have personally played the Sega Genesis, and Super Nintendo versions. I like the Genesis version better, but that’s probably because I’ve played it more. I am looking for a disk version for the Commodore 64, so if any of you can help a brother out
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:02 PM   #3
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

I need to take another swing at this game. As a kid when it came out it was too hard to like for me.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
I need to take another swing at this game. As a kid when it came out it was too hard to like for me.
Oh, it's still hard, but I have better patience now than I did as a kid.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:08 PM   #5
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

This thing was designed to have a certain "kills per minute" to suck as many quarters down as possible. Only the most dexterous could play this game with any economy.

I hated it. And ended up spending a ton of money on it. When it finally got ported I breathed a sigh of relief.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
This thing was designed to have a certain "kills per minute" to suck as many quarters down as possible. Only the most dexterous could play this game with any economy.

I hated it. And ended up spending a ton of money on it. When it finally got ported I breathed a sigh of relief.
No doubt. It was one of the first Genesis games I owned. My brother was always better at it than me.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I didn't even realize that this one was available on a console. I'll have to see if it is in one of the Capcom collections you can get on the PS3 or PS4.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:33 PM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I didn't even realize that this one was available on a console. I'll have to see if it is in one of the Capcom collections you can get on the PS3 or PS4.
You have to be careful of the early ports. The systems weren't great and occasionally they would have hitches and desyncs. This caused the critters to sometimes not show on their already erratic paths properly and kill you.

The MAME/ROM version is probably still the best.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:20 PM   #9
Kawika
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Sega Saturn has the best home version but that probably won't help you out. You can get the the SNES classic and Genesis classic.

I'm torn between the Super Grafx (pce engine) port and Genesis as far as home versions. The SNES ROM actually has a fix you can get that gets rid of a lot of the slow down.

Saturn has all the G&G games including Ghost and Goblins and it's JP only.
Kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:41 AM   #10
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
I was disappointed that I picked up the sword
Wow, that sword sucks. Why is it even there? It doesn't seem to do more damage - and wasn't it possible to throw the lance upwards as well? In that case, the sword's directional attack wouldn't be a boon either...

I never liked the Ghouls 'n Ghosts 'n Goblins games myself, because even 25 years ago (maybe not 30, but certainly once I had my Amiga), I understood that games with respawning enemies were not for me. Add to that one-hit (well, technically two-hits) player deaths, and all you get is an angry Scherge.

Congrats on getting as far as you did on your first try! I'm sure it would have taken me at least 10 attempts to get to that boss. Well, probably 20, because I would have tried every treasure chest, and I seem to remember there are some stinkers among them...
Old 07-01-2019, 04:53 AM   #11
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

You're right @Scherge you could throw the lance upwards. The sword is slightly stronger, but not enough to offset it's lack of range.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:59 AM   #12
BalekFekete
Claptrap Bitch

Just watching that put me into fits of PTSD from the controller-hurling moments of my childhood on the Genesis. Not many games do I have such a strong love-hate relationship as this one...

Tags
mame, one quater one play, retro