Today 09:06 AM
0 Replies, 53 Views
» Promotion

Old 01-11-2017, 06:51 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

The Television Game Show Starcade Is Being Rebooted

Quote:
“Starcade is a classic game show from the ‘80s and is pure nostalgic fun. We couldn’t be more excited to work with the original show creators to ‘retro-boot’ Starcade for a new generation of fans. As we continue to actively expand our reach into production and development for new series, movies, unscripted shows and specials, this deal exemplifies the type of content we plan to pursue which taps into the interests and passions of our company’s loyal fanbase.”

Creators Caruso and Arthur also chime in on the reboot deal, stating:

“We’re thrilled to be part of this Starcade revival. We look forward to bringing the show back for all those avid Starcaders who have been waiting for years, as well as a new class of gaming heroes. Game on!”

After a few scrapped pilots, including one in which a pre-Jeopardy! Alex Trebek hosted, Starcade debuted in 1982 on Ted Turner’s then-burgeoning cable outlet TBS, eventually moving on to syndication until its conclusion in 1984. Mark Richards was its original host, replaced for the rest of its run in 1983 by Geoff Edwards. The show would pave the way for further genre-similar game shows in later eras such as Video Power, GamePro TV, Nick Arcade and Arena. Interestingly, Starcade did experience a retro Renaissance of sorts in 2002 when the (now-defunct) video-game-themed cable network G4 ran reruns.
Via Den Of Geek
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:10 AM   #2
screwyluie
Evil Dead

I'll just take G4 back, thank you
Old 01-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #3
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Except there's practically no arcades anymore to begin with. What are they going to have people playing playstation and xbox titles?
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #4
Chief Smash
Enjoyed the Prequels

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Except there's practically no arcades anymore to begin with. What are they going to have people playing playstation and xbox titles?
In some spots of the country, there's a bit of an arcade revival going on so maybe they're trying to take advantage of that sort of nostalgia. A few weeks ago I went to Barcade not far from where I live. It was pretty cool. It definitely felt like a classic arcade, just with good beer.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
In some spots of the country, there's a bit of an arcade revival going on so maybe they're trying to take advantage of that sort of nostalgia. A few weeks ago I went to Barcade not far from where I live. It was pretty cool. It definitely felt like a classic arcade, just with good beer.
True, I believe there's still a decent sized one in New Hampshire somewhat not too far from me but still, it's a far cry from the 80's and early 90's.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #6
BalekFekete
Claptrap Bitch

Quote:
True, I believe there's still a decent sized one in New Hampshire somewhat not too far from me but still, it's a far cry from the 80's and early 90's.
You're thinking Funspot in Laconia, NH. Inlaws had summer house there for years - was always a solid trip on days of rain.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

Man it was great to grow up with arcades all over the place. Folks don't know what they've missed not having them around like they used to be in the 80s.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:21 AM   #8
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalekFekete View Post
You're thinking Funspot in Laconia, NH. Inlaws had summer house there for years - was always a solid trip on days of rain.
Yep that's the place.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #9
Chief Smash
Enjoyed the Prequels

Last I checked, Funspot was the biggest arcade in the country (perhaps the world?) but it's been a while since I checked. And yes it's a very far cry from the heyday of the 80s and 90s and I don't expect it will ever get back to the glory days but I do miss it sometimes. There was a certain social aspect of arcades that kids today won't understand. I'm not saying that it was perfect but it was unique and I'm glad I grew up with it.

And I think I've posted this link before, but if you really want to get that nostalgia going, put on some headphones and listen to the sound files here: http://arcade.hofle.com
Old 01-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #10
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
Last I checked, Funspot was the biggest arcade in the country (perhaps the world?) but it's been a while since I checked. And yes it's a very far cry from the heyday of the 80s and 90s and I don't expect it will ever get back to the glory days but I do miss it sometimes. There was a certain social aspect of arcades that kids today won't understand. I'm not saying that it was perfect but it was unique and I'm glad I grew up with it.

And I think I've posted this link before, but if you really want to get that nostalgia going, put on some headphones and listen to the sound files here: http://arcade.hofle.com
Thanks for the nostalgia...

Man there is nothing in the world like the sound of a 1985 arcade.

Kangaroo, Tron, Dig-Dug, Galaga... I mean y'all know.

I am glad I lived when this was a thing also...

I am closing on our house in 2 days... and one of my projects is to have a cocktail table running MAME so I can flipscreen some fuggin Frogger!
Old 01-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #11
Azzy
Cthulian

I live down the street from Cobra Arcade in PHX and that spot is fucking packed, daily.
This idea has legs.
I'd be down for a S.W.A.T. reboot too, buttfor that dumb ginger who hosted it.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:05 PM   #12
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

They'll probably just film it a Dave & Busters.

Speaking of which I've seen Starcade.... any streaming service have the reruns?
Old 01-11-2017, 09:06 PM   #13
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Err.... never seen.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:40 PM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

Its funny even here where I am in Salem, just north of Boston, we had a huge arcade @ Salem Willows Park. That arcade is still there today, but they practically have no video games anymore it's just all ticket redemption games now.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:05 PM   #15
Chief Smash
Enjoyed the Prequels

Quote:
Its funny even here where I am in Salem, just north of Boston, we had a huge arcade @ Salem Willows Park. That arcade is still there today, but they practically have no video games anymore it's just all ticket redemption games now.
Sadly that's most arcades now. We have an "arcade" near my house that is mostly ticket redemption machines too but my sons love it. They thought it was funny but they couldn't quite grasp why I was overjoyed when this place eventually put in an original Crystal Castles and a MAME machine that had Street Fighter 2.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:11 PM   #16
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I am old enough to remember turning pennies into quarters to play Adventure at the local arcade but I'll be damned if I remember this TV show.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game show, game tv, old tv, starcade