Today 04:49 AM
27 Replies, 6,603 Views

Old 11-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Star Wars Battlefront Breaks EA Download Records, Free DLC Coming #StarWars

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
DICE's Star Wars Battlefront is breaking records. Publisher Electronic Arts announced today that the sci-fi shooter has become the "largest digital launch" in the company's history. It's also the "biggest launch" of any new Star Wars game ever released, the company said, though no specific data points were shared.

In a blog post, EA Studios executive Patrick Soderlund also reveals that players can look forward to "lots of new content" coming to Battlefront in the coming months. One of the biggest critiques of the game so far is that some feel the game doesn't have enough content.

The first of Battlefront's post-launch DLC is a free Force Awakens-inspired expansion called The Battle of Jakku, which starts to roll out on December 1 for people who preordered. Everyone else gets it on December 8, also as a free download.

Soderlund also teased that, in addition to all the new maps and items coming to the game through Battlefront's $50 DLC pass, players can also expect a number of free updates.

"We will be adding more of what you love about the game, like new maps and Star Cards, for free in the coming months, in addition to all of the content we have coming with Season Pass," he said. "We'll have more to share soon."

This statement from EA comes after big-time retailer GameStop said Battlefront underperformed. "We're not going to quantify it in terms of actual numbers, but we had high expectations that diminished somewhat as it got closer and it failed to hit those lowered expectations," management said on Monday.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

Absolutely loving this game. The multiplayer is well crafted, looks fantastic, and is surprisingly solid all-around performance-wise for a big DICE launch. I've had more issues with their forums than I've had with the game. It's not perfect, there's a couple game fixes and some balance tweaks needed, but it's performing beyond my expectations.

Wonder how much Jakku will add. Figure at least one new giant map, given the teaser. Hopefully get a couple more small maps too. Given DICE's history of game support, not really a surprise that they'll be peppering in some free content here and there over the course of the game's lifespan.

Edit: they actually say in a news post on the official site -- http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/batt...wars-adventure

Quote:
In two weeks, The Battle of Jakku launches. Taking place 29 years before the events of Star Wars™: The Force Awakens™, The Battle of Jakku is a free DLC pack* that adds two new maps (including one for popular modes like Walker Assault and Supremacy) and a new mode to the game. The coolest thing is that it’s the only place you’ll be able to experience the pivotal events that help shape the look of one of the next iconic planets in the Star Wars universe.
New mode is 'Turning Point', detailed here. Looks like another take on Rush/Assault, like Walker Assault, but with Rebels on offense.

Last edited by Capt_Thad; 11-24-2015 at 06:26 PM..
Capt_Thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:41 PM   #3
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Right there with you, cannot put the game down (Even set up a 2 day LAN with my sibling so we could just play the game straight heh).

Really my only complaint at this stage is it needs some balancing, and the Hero Hunt mode is just poorly conceived in my opinion (but Heroes vs Villains is great!)
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

You guys aren't bothered by the arcadey feel to the blasters and guns? I don't know, I guess in the beta it felt just... disconnected.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:30 PM   #5
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
You guys aren't bothered by the arcadey feel to the blasters and guns? I don't know, I guess in the beta it felt just... disconnected.
heh Can't speak to our different perspectives and FPS experiences, that's definitely very much an 'each to his own' kinda deal. You can see the shots, you can 'feel' and manage the recoil from the blasters. The spread is predictable related to movement. Feels pretty tight to me. Think it feels better than other popular stuff, like Counter-Strike, where the feedback on the guns has never felt right to me.

They reward you more for tight gun control in Battlefront than in other more arcadey shooters, so you get the arcade feel of freedom of movement and low penalties for run and gun, but still have the skill requirement of needing to be able to keep your shots tight and centered on high dmg areas of the body. The guns all kill very quick--but only if you're not inept with them. It's definitely not as forgiving as CoD or Titanfall, but for me, that makes it more rewarding.

The bigger maps definitely require a lot more cover usage, if that's your thing. Range often beats speed in Supremacy and Walker Assault. You actually have to ADS at the longer ranges too. Biggest part of getting used to this game after Battlefield was killing the habit to ADS all of my shots. The gun accuracy is unaffected by ADS, just your ability to see what you're shooting at. Definitely hurts more than helps when it can be avoided.

My complaints with the combat largely revolve around the overly popular panic impact grenade tossers (requires some hefty tactics adjustments to adapt to) and the sadistically unbalanced DL-44.

Last edited by Capt_Thad; 11-24-2015 at 06:13 PM..
Capt_Thad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dice, ea games, star wars battlefront, star wars: battlefront