Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 06:18 PM
0 Replies, 125 Views

Old 08-15-2016, 05:44 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Nintendo Downs Another Fan Made Game

Quote:
Here's a helpful warning: If you're creating an homage to a famous game franchise that basically copies the game's style, and even uses the franchise's name in the name of your game itself, you might not want to invest a ton of time into it. As soon as you launch the game—or as soon as it gets enough publicity—it's going to be clobbered with a cease-and-desist letter from the original rightsholder. It happened with Star Wars: Galaxy in Turmoil, and now it's happening with Pokemon Uranium

Version 1.0 of Pokemon Uranium was officially released on Wednesday. Good luck trying to find it from any official source, though—Nintendo has already successfully pushed for the game's removal.

"After receiving more than 1,500,000 downloads of our game, we have been notified of multiple takedown notices from lawyers representing Nintendo of America. While we have not personally been contacted, it's clear what their wishes are, and we respect those wishes deeply. Therefore, we will no longer provide official download links for the game through our website," reads a statement from Pokemon Uranium's developers.
Via PCMag
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:20 AM   #2
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Did anyone actually think this wouldn't happen, especially since it was released a mere three months prior to Sun/Moon?

This is what happens when you play in a sandbox you don't own. Loving an IP doesn't give you ownership in it, no matter how much money you've spent on it over the years. Sure, it sucks the game was pulled...but, the folks who made this don't own Pokemon.

While I wish more companies would be open to working with and embracing fan works, I can't blame any of them for slapping C&D orders on people.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:31 AM   #3
Xqa
Reaper

On one hand i admire people who can create a game. I mean all parts of it, not just the cool stuff. The mechanics, the back end stuff that you are never suppose to see all the way to the polish.

On the other hand i think if you can do that, why not make something of your own? Be original and see what happens. I just dont get it, i also dont get cover or tribute bands either so there is that.
Xqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:02 AM   #4
Tolgar
Evil Dead

They would have been better off doing the Stardew Valley route. Its obviously Harvest Moon, but on PC and better. Pokemon Uranium had all original pokemon I think anyway, so why not just name it and the things inside it slightly different. Then you can survive on parody fair use. The laws on those are clear even if they still try to take them down sometimes.
Tolgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:11 AM   #5
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post

This is what happens when you play in a sandbox you don't own. Loving an IP doesn't give you ownership in it, no matter how much money you've spent on it over the years. Sure, it sucks the game was pulled...but, the folks who made this don't own Pokemon.
The game is called "Uranium" because it involves mutated Pokemon. I'm not a huge pokemon fan, but I would think that the concept kind of flies in the face of the ideology behind Pokemon.

It's a testament to part of the reason why these games are problematic.

In one of my books about Walt Disney, the author tells an interesting story. For all his problems, Walt Disney was militant about maintaining a clean image and atmosphere for the company. For his birthday, a couple of the top animators threw a party for Walt. One of the animators, in his off time, created a bawdy animatic of Micky and Minny mouse having a sexual encounter to play as a joke during the party. Everyone was laughing during the short. At the end, Walt Disney stood up laughing and asked, "who did this?". The animator responsible, laughing, said "It was me Walt!" To which Disney said, "You're fired. Take your things and get out of here."

An artist has the right to control the way their creation is used. Legally, in many respects. But beyond that,it should just be the right of an artist.

I get agitated every single time I see those stickers of Calvin peeing on things. There are millions of people out there who know Calvin almost solely as "that little boy who pees on things". Knowing how protective Bill Watterson is of his work, and what a fantastic contribution to the world he made, it's infuriating.

Whenever these fan works come up, the people try to defend themselves as though THEY are artists and the people who actually created these ideas from nothing are not. That's frustrating.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:14 AM   #6
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolgar View Post
They would have been better off doing the Stardew Valley route. Its obviously Harvest Moon, but on PC and better. Pokemon Uranium had all original pokemon I think anyway, so why not just name it and the things inside it slightly different. Then you can survive on parody fair use. The laws on those are clear even if they still try to take them down sometimes.
Exactly. It's EASY to alter a work enough for it to be it's own thing. But people who do fan works usually lack that amount of creativity.

I love music, but I'm not very good at it. I can play decently, but I can't write it. I just don't have a creative spark for melodies or chord progressions. Thusly, all I will ever do is repeat music that other people have a already done. I'm not musically creative. I feel like "fan-game" creators are this way. They have the skills but not the creativity to actually make anything.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:34 AM   #7
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Nintendo has to do pull these or you could use the fact they didn't in a court of law against them. Defending your copyrighted material is part of the gig.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
Nintendo has to do pull these or you could use the fact they didn't in a court of law against them. Defending your copyrighted material is part of the gig.
Absolutely.

Their hands are effectively tied in the matter, due to the way copyright and trademark law works.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #9
Terran
Evil Dead

I understand this, but I also think our copyright/patent laws are busted beyond belief. Why should someone have an eternally extended, infinite right to maintain legal control of an idea? For example, Mickey Mouse keeps leading to changes in copyright law. Why? Because Disney can afford to perpetually pay politicians to extend their rights.

Quote:
Copyright duration had some changes over the 125-years before Mickey Mouse. In the Copyright Act of 1790, the 14-year term was renewable for one additional 14-year term, if the author was alive at the end of the first 14 years. And it only applied to maps, charts and books. Registration and use of a copyright notice were also required. If you didn’t meet those requirements, the work immediately entered into the public domain. By 1831 it was changed to 28 years with a 14 year renewal and in 1909, copyright duration became 28 years with a 28 year renewal. Very few works actually maintained those copyright durations as only a small percentage of people even bothered to register copyrights in the first place, and of those that did, only a tiny fraction renewed them.
Yes, you should be able to financially profit off of your ideas for a period of time, but there is a cost to society when ideas are locked behind copyright/patent walls for a freaking CENTURY or more. Ideas released to the public domain lead to advances for all in society.

A few decades should be it. Period. DONE. Make your killing on your idea for a few decades, then it's released to the public. Want a new golden goose? CREATE A NEW ONE.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #10
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Yes, you should be able to financially profit off of your ideas for a period of time, but there is a cost to society when ideas are locked behind copyright/patent walls for a freaking CENTURY or more. Ideas released to the public domain lead to advances for all in society.

A few decades should be it. Period. DONE. Make your killing on your idea for a few decades, then it's released to the public. Want a new golden goose? CREATE A NEW ONE.
As someone looking to get works published and on the air, I'd absolutely want my family to be able to profit from my endeavors (assuming the pipe dream ever became a reality). I wouldn't want my works to enter the public domain. Looking at the best case scenario, the only people I'd want in control of my creations would be myself or my family.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:39 AM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

You don't own an idea into perpetuity. That's just a nonsense invention of the modern world and wealthy, connected corporate entities and paid politicians. A limited period of some decades is enough.

The free exchange of ideas is one of the pillars of human advancement. Locking ideas up behind paywalls in perpetuity helps nobody but the wealthy, connected few.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:48 AM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
You don't own an idea into perpetuity. That's just a nonsense invention of the modern world and wealthy, connected corporate entities and paid politicians. A limited period of some decades is enough.

The free exchange of ideas is one of the pillars of human advancement. Locking ideas up behind paywalls in perpetuity helps nobody but the wealthy, connected few.
In regards to the comic and animated series I'd love to get off the ground, I'd want to see myself and my family profit from them in perpetuity. I wouldn't want to see my creations end up in the public domain.

Honestly, it's probably moot because the likelihood of it ever happening is relatively slim...but, I'll always feel strongly about that stance.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:50 AM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

Feel as strongly as you want to. You can't own an idea forever, even under our permissive extended system (though companies like Disney sure are trying!). You're also wrong.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #14
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Feel as strongly as you want to. You can't own an idea forever, even under our permissive extended system (though companies like Disney sure are trying!). You're also wrong.
So, I'm wrong for wanting to own my creations?
Old 08-15-2016, 12:34 PM   #15
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
So, I'm wrong for wanting to own my creations?
In perpetuity? Yes. You are wrong. Read the link. Good stuff.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:36 PM   #16
Anemone
Evil Dead

Just release these as parodies, jeez people, you don't understand how copyright works, they're forced to sue you even if they didn't want to or risk losing the copyright.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #17
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
You can't own an idea forever
\
Of course you can, simply never communicate it :P
Old 08-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #18
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
\
Of course you can, simply never communicate it :P
If you think there's anything new under the sun, you're a bigger moron than I ever gave you credit for being. If you're 'oh so clever little self' has thought it up, someone else did before you.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:46 PM   #19
Rommel
International Playboy

Oh no, the game is gon--Lemme just check my torrent sites and yeeeeah, there it is.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:01 PM   #20
Jotoco
Evil Dead

Ideas aren't property.

No IP laws can wipe someone's memory off of an idea (and I sure hope no one ever finds a way to).
Jotoco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan game, fan made, nintendo, pokémon