Last post by PacerDawn
Today 06:01 PM
2 Replies, 112 Views

Old 06-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #41
Eats
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Of the four new films, two have been in the traditional 'sequence,' one was a 'prelude' to prior main storyline events (the Death Star plans), and one was an origin story (Solo). All of those are the same concepts Marvel is using.

They are similar on the surface but they lack the tie in. Like this Ms. Marvel movie coming up is a prelude/origin story right? But it will directly lead into her playing a role in the avengers movie next summer.

What star wars is doing is making basically unrelated movies that are like flash backs about the villian in the original iron man movie that is super dead and not coming back and no one cares.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #42
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
They are similar on the surface but they lack the tie in.
You can't tie in any closer than Ep 7 to 8 (they're sequential in story elements!), Rogue One to Ep 4 (again, sequential story elements), and Solo to Ep. 4-8 (origins to main series).

They're tied together just fine. The problem isn't the overall connectivity, it's the lack of direction (an endpoint), the destruction of beloved characters and concepts from the first six films, and the regurgitated nature of the storyline in Ep 7 (to a great degree) and 8 (to a lesser degree) compared to the prior two series.

They killed the goose. No more easy eggs.
Quote:
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #43
Eats
Developer

Ep 7 and 8 are like the avengers movies though. Those are the big daddy movies they should be tying into marvel style.

Rogue One and Solo are really tying into what are now very old movies which is not as engaging at all. It isn't really the ongoing story.

I mostly agree with the other stuff that you are saying, but those are separate issues. Also the beloved characters are so old they really had issues trying to hold on to them anyway, look at leia. They maybe should've recast and not made such a time leap but it is too late for that. They do seem pretty rudderless.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:40 AM   #44
Sloth
Evil Dead

Bunch of movies about specific characters hasn't appealed to me from the start.

It's not like star wars can't do divergent series. Clone Wars and Rebels is great. Rogue One was entertaining.

There's so much Star Wars Disney could give us that we didn't know we'd like. We don't need Obi Wan and Boba Fett stories. Pick a new planet, pick a new story. Sure it is risky. But the reward is greater than re hashing tired old characters.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #45
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
Bunch of movies about specific characters hasn't appealed to me from the start.

It's not like star wars can't do divergent series. Clone Wars and Rebels is great. Rogue One was entertaining.

There's so much Star Wars Disney could give us that we didn't know we'd like. We don't need Obi Wan and Boba Fett stories. Pick a new planet, pick a new story. Sure it is risky. But the reward is greater than re hashing tired old characters.
Yeah, I watched A New Hope last night with my daughter and man, that movie made you dream. You imagined that galaxy was a lot more than these characters. But, nope, it's a really small galaxy where everyone knows about everything. Kinda sad really, that these movies instead of expanding the galaxy only make it smaller.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:15 PM   #46
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
Yeah, I watched A New Hope last night with my daughter and man, that movie made you dream. You imagined that galaxy was a lot more than these characters. But, nope, it's a really small galaxy where everyone knows about everything. Kinda sad really, that these movies instead of expanding the galaxy only make it smaller.
Even at the end of Solo (A Star Wars Story) they couldn't have him do anything except talk about getting into business with Jabba.

Nope, not "Hey, we got a ship let's go to any of the other 1,000 or 10,000 worlds in the galaxy," or "let's go chase down that skank who ditched us and find out what is going on." Or even "Oh my god, I hope she is safe and didn't get jumped by someone on the ship after I left, let's go make sure she's safe!"

Nope, it's "Let's go visit that ass-backwards planet Beckett mentioned because HE never steered us wrong before and even though I've had totally negative experiences to the point of losing my life every time I've interacted with both of my previous crime lords maybe the third time is the charm. What could go wrong?"
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:44 PM   #47
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Ep 7 and 8 are like the avengers movies though.
If the Avengers movies were made by incompetent nitwits you'd be right. And if the stand-alone movies fed into the big blockbusters.

If that were the case they'd have a movie showing Finn as he was taken and brought up in the Stormtrooper thug life and how he broke his training to become the biggest coward in the universe.

The next would be Poe finding BB-8. Probably, because we're talking about JarJar Abrams here, we'd find Poe is a poor undocumented outer-rim kid who, after being caught by Border Control sneaking onto a planet runs into droid dealers and a runs into the scrappy BB-8. Plucking around with a stick Poe finds a coded message from "General" Leia Organa meant for her brother, Jedi Master Skywalker who fought with her husband during the Rebel wars. Master Skywalker must hurry to fight off the evil of the First Order and may be, in fact, the Resistance's Only Hope.

Do Episodes 4 - 6 count as Leia's origin story or do they get the remake treatment? If they are new we need to show more like Episode 1 - 3. I mean Disney has shown no bones about telling the old fans to fuck off so why bother remaking the good movies? So let's have Leia follow in the footsteps of her Mother. After beating back the empire the New Republic starts opening the door to all the "good" ideas and eventually rots out again just like they did the first time. Slowly the power of good intentions causes the New Republic to collapse under the weight of it's own progress as planets stop complying and the First Order begins gaining more and more power. Leia, helpless as her mother Padme was to stop the disintegration and sabotage of the Galactic Republic, does what she does best and starts blowing shit up and getting everyone riled up about rebellion AGAIN.

Talk about a one-hit wonder. This time she brings Laura Dern's Themla along as a counterpart to her destructive Louise since Mothma was long made dust.

Rey doesn't need a movie. She just appears, Thanos like, in the end of credit bits, as "The Force" creates her out of midiclorians the same way Lelu was created in the 5th Element. The perfect woman with all the necessary knowledge and skills built in.

That way starting with The Force Awakens when we see her fly, fix, use the force, and fight like she's a pro despite appearing to have no training with the ships or weapons she often uses instead of going "WTF BBQ!" we can just nod our heads knowingly and say "well yeah, OF COURSE, didn't you see all them gatdamn midiclorians working away?"

Rose and her sister (whatever her name was) would be modeled after their characters. Really, really boring and dull. So sort of in the vein of Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants.

And thanks to Solo we all know what a stellar job they'd do with a Han Solo/Chewbacca tie in movie. Wow, THAT would be amazing! Except instead of a poorly written and acted movie staring YOUNG Han it would be a poorly written and acted movie about OLD Han.

Of course The Last Jedi would be saved as a Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma origin movie sort of like how Infinity War was the Thanos origin story movie. If they managed to keep Phasma alive for more than 3 minutes of screen time.

Save the best for last with Snoke. He would be Episode 9... except they killed him off without warning or any thought whatsoever. No need for a badguy here folks! Cleanup on aisle GTFO Sith "master"! LOL
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star wars