Last post by Inkabodcrane
Today 05:45 PM
5 Replies, 197 Views

Old 08-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #21
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
This is an apparently good game (i haven't played it) which is 'free' and the dev is monetising through paid for, cosmetic dlc, there's nothing wrong with that. Complaining about the quality of your free stuff is just pathetic imo.
The issue is not that they are trying to make money off of the product they have produced, but rather, the way in which they were trying to profit off of their rabid fanbase. Their initial release of the cosmetic content required that someone spend an absurd amount of money up front in order to be provided the opportunity to spend additional money for the final cosmetic item. Respawn then acquiesce and made the cosmetics available ala carte, but in doing so, they not only increased the overall cost of all the cosmetics available during this event, but also showed how expensive their cosmetic items actually were.

Many of us are reasonable people and will pay for things that are reasonably priced. What Respawn has shown is that they are not producing reasonably priced content and the community is making double sure that they are aware of that.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #22
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Dan View Post
Well then that sucks. You canít prestige?
No. You get 45 free as part of the 1-100 leveling progress. Battle Passes get you additional Apex Packs, but I believe that you only get those if you buy the Battle Passes. Otherwise, you have to buy the Apex Packs individually or purchase premium currency.

This is unlike, say Overwatch, where you get a loot box every level and get additional in-game currency (even as small as it is) for every match that you complete.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:33 PM   #23
Major Dan
Conductor Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
No. You get 45 free as part of the 1-100 leveling progress. Battle Passes get you additional Apex Packs, but I believe that you only get those if you buy the Battle Passes. Otherwise, you have to buy the Apex Packs individually or purchase premium currency.

This is unlike, say Overwatch, where you get a loot box every level and get additional in-game currency (even as small as it is) for every match that you complete.
Screw that then. I have seen my son play Apex and it is a good looking, smooth playing game. And for free I think you can have fun with it. Iíve worked hard to show him digital goods arenít really worth spending real money on so he is not spending real money on it. But he plays with a friend and they are both enjoying it. So whatís wrong with that? I bet Titanfall 3 still gets made. So whatís the problem again?
Old 08-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #24
actusoul
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Dan View Post
Screw that then. I have seen my son play Apex and it is a good looking, smooth playing game. And for free I think you can have fun with it. I’ve worked hard to show him digital goods aren’t really worth spending real money on so he is not spending real money on it. But he plays with a friend and they are both enjoying it. So what’s wrong with that? I bet Titanfall 3 still gets made. So what’s the problem again?
Rocketmagnet and losttoys are accurate. I worked in the accounting department in Silicon Valley and we developed similar models. My business partner was a consultant at EA. I still do not understand the problem or the issue. You can play for free. If you want the cosmetics throw us a bone so we can pay the developers, artists, programmers, maintenance, overhead, etc. BTW, I play Apex and probably have hundreds of hours played. I buy the cosmetics because I want too and enjoy them. I definitely feel I received my $$$ worth and I am glad to have paid it. I play with players who have not spent a dime and they have the same gaming experience as me. Its optional. People deserve to get paid for their work. These games are made so you enjoy them and the company makes money... bottom line. If it doesn't make money, it will NOT be made. PERIOD.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:15 PM   #25
LostToys
Evil Dead

The issue is not that they are looking for people to spend money, just that the amount they are asking for is not reasonable by most people's standards. $18.00 for a skin is pretty damned outrageous. That is Japanese gaccha level of milking. I bought Titanfall and Titanfall 2 as boxed games, but have no interest in supporting Apex Legends with their current pricing structure for cosmetics.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:10 PM   #26
RAV
Evil Dead

Yeah, this one thing I really don't understand at all.

For one, I actually do see how modern monetization like Free-To-Play has negatively impacted the game design overall.
There are a couple gross examples of that, another one would be how in the game world itself, while you are playing, some NPC may be locked off with the notifaction that you have to buy it before you can talk to it. Now on one hand you can argue what's wrong with that, pay up what's due for content, but on the other, I just find it very tasteless, to be bothered in actual gameplay with stuff like that. It just seems to somehow take away the innocense of the hobby, I dont know. Just doesn't feel right. I rather just throw down 60 bucks for a full game, and then a year later 30 bucks for a proper expansion pack that signifanctly builds on the base game, and just have my peace of mind in the game itself, instead of being constantly harassed by piece-meal requests for money, so to somehow coerce 500 bucks out of me over time for the same product as before, or even for less of a product than before.

The other thing is, like was mentioned above, that the prices often hardly make sense. There are examples of games selling virtual goods for hundreds and even thousands of dollars. It's completely laughable, since you know that in the actual production of the assets, there was hardly more effort invested as in anything else, but somehow they try to build the illusion of value of the goods and branding. In the real world it can make sense if a better product costs more, since you know better materials and features are built into it, but even there you see companies abuse their branding value to inflate the price of goods. With a proper game as a whole this too can still make sense, though you can also see branding issues. But with this whole "item economy" bullshit of virtual goods in-game, a lot of these considerations don't make sense anymore whatsoever. The whole item economy they try to establish is just an illusion. Knowing that they could easily sell the spaceships in some game for 5$ at a reasonable profit on mass market sales, but instead sell it for 500$, for god knows what people are willing to buy that... is just... it just completely turns me off from such a game. Even if I don't care for the item in question. It just somehow takes the careless fun out of the hobby, I don't know. It's like, previously computer gaming felt more like escapism, now you always have to be on your guard for how you might be abused, with gambling addiction, pyramid schemes, and whatever predatory bullshit they try to sneak in.

Or you heard the stories of day-one DLC, where you know they actually shipped the game with content they locked off to monetize again after you just throw down 60 bucks. They will somehow have some kind of excuses for that... but it just smells like bullshit.

This whole thing gives me a real hard time getting into modern gaming. and it does tend to affect game design negatively, even if it's not Pay-to-Win.
I can just boot up Dungeon Keeper or whatever and have my peace of mind while gaming.

But then again, as I mentioned before, I still like Starcraft2. It does have DLC with the coop commanders, which are really cool, and then some random fluff of whatever, like special announcer voices. In this game, somehow it didn't bother me quite as much, it seemed to be right at the edge of what I am still willing to deal with. Not particularly enthusiastic about that, but not particularly unhappy about it either.

TL;DR I don t really know about Apex itself though. have no real opinion on that case.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:57 PM   #27
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

This is pretty par for the course with Respawn though no?

I mean I found their cosmetics in Titanfall 2 especially egregious given how they incurred gameplay benefits (buy x amount of weapon skins and you'll receive a permanent XP increase!).
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:13 PM   #28
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
This is pretty par for the course with Respawn though no?

I mean I found their cosmetics in Titanfall 2 especially egregious given how they incurred gameplay benefits (buy x amount of weapon skins and you'll receive a permanent XP increase!).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apex legends