Last post by blackzc
Yesterday 07:27 PM
10 Replies, 671 Views

Old 12-15-2015, 11:31 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Kojima done with Konami. Forming New Studio for PlayStation #Kojima

Quote:
Nikkei: Kojima left Konami, establishing new company with former staff to make new PlayStation game

Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima officially left Konami on December 15 and is establishing a new studio with his former Konami staff, according to a Nikkei report.

Kojima is reportedly in final negotiations with Sony Computer Entertainment, and his new game is expected to launch for PlayStation platform(s).
gematsu.com
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
Anemone
Evil Dead

Finally, Kojima. Shoulda done that 20 years ago.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
Rommel
International Playboy

How did this turn so toxic? Kojima gave Konami nothing but mainstream hits. Maybe he wanted Miyamoto recognition and position in the company.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

Nice! I guess that guarantees I will always buy sony consoles!
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
How did this turn so toxic? Kojima gave Konami nothing but mainstream hits. Maybe he wanted Miyamoto recognition and position in the company.
Konami don't like videogames anymore. He already had a position on the board.
BeachGaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:38 PM   #6
rubbishfoo
Evil Dead

Quote:
I wonder if Konami had the same interest...

Seems like some bridges got burned.

In all fairness, I don't really care for many of his games, but was very impressed with the new MGS5. Only a few minor gripes.

The guy is obviously very talented... and it shows in them cool shades he wears.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:03 PM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

Konami is a pachinko machine business now. They are moving away from video games, particularly consoles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:14 PM   #8
MultiTasker
Dread Lord

I have only played Ground Zero so far and I was extremely impressed with the fox engine. I hope that whatever game he ends up making is also released on the PC.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:27 PM   #9
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Except I don't think that's really true.

Firstly, were Metal Gear games really "mainstream hits" to begin with? I feel like people grossly overstate the success of the games. Yes they are very influential among the nerdy, but I don't think they are really all that "mainstream".

Secondly, "hit" is entirely relative. If you make a fortune with a game that costs a fortune to make, you aren't all that much of an asset, really.

It's not hard to understand why Kojima might be considered a bad employee. His games take forever to make, cost a fortune, and he doesn't want to make the franchise any longer.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:30 PM   #10
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Konami is a pachinko machine business now. They are moving away from video games, particularly consoles.
My understanding is that they wanted to go to Mobile which, honestly, might be better for everyone. It's not like Konami has been burning the house down since games moved into 3 dimensions.

While it's admittedly over-optimistic, Konami could see mobile as a way to return to their roots and make simple, relatively cheap, classic games again. Track and Field, for example, might be perfect for a mobile version.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:45 PM   #11
Anenome
Autarchist

I thought they said it was all about margins and return on investment is why they're moving to mobile. Seems like a AAA dev could absolutely kill by slumming in mobile where indie devs have made considerably money.

But perhaps they'll discover that it's not quite that easy for a large company to play a small company's game. Or perhaps they will do alright. I'm sure they looked at Candy Crush or w/e and were like, we can do that, not realizing that CC struck gold.

For ever CC there's ten thousand ideas that didn't blow up on the market. Which is why large companies buy successful properties, not invent them. So perhaps they want to do that. Put together a stable. Trick children into buying Konamicoins, etc.

I predict it will be the death of them. High-end game devs don't want to do mobile games. They'll bleed talent. What they're left with won't ever be capable of moving back into AAA again. And if they don't have a string of hits, their financials will nosedive.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:56 AM   #12
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
I thought they said it was all about margins and return on investment is why they're moving to mobile. Seems like a AAA dev could absolutely kill by slumming in mobile where indie devs have made considerably money.

But perhaps they'll discover that it's not quite that easy for a large company to play a small company's game. Or perhaps they will do alright. I'm sure they looked at Candy Crush or w/e and were like, we can do that, not realizing that CC struck gold.

For ever CC there's ten thousand ideas that didn't blow up on the market. Which is why large companies buy successful properties, not invent them. So perhaps they want to do that. Put together a stable. Trick children into buying Konamicoins, etc.

I predict it will be the death of them. High-end game devs don't want to do mobile games. They'll bleed talent. What they're left with won't ever be capable of moving back into AAA again. And if they don't have a string of hits, their financials will nosedive.
You know their gaming division (as in gambling) makes more than every other division combined? (iirc, can't find the article) and their profits have gone up 150% since they focused on mobile gaming?
Old 12-16-2015, 02:05 AM   #13
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

Anyways it's official now. He's working with Sony.... sort of.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:54 AM   #14
TafJaf
Dread Lord

Recently, friend of mine told me that there is a report of Sega/Sammy losing ton of money since they closed a bunch of pachinko parlors in Japan. Might happen to Konami as well since it seems like that bubble might be bursting soon.
TafJaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #15
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGaara View Post
Anyways it's official now. He's working with Sony.... sort of.
Quote:
Sony Computer Entertainment Enters Into an Agreement with Kojima Productions

The First Software Title Created by the Newly Formed Kojima Productions will be Console Exclusive to PlayStation 4 System

Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) today announced that it has signed an agreement with Kojima Productions, a newly formed studio by the acclaimed game designer Hideo Kojima, to develop its first software title as a console exclusive to the PlayStation 4 (PS4) computer entertainment system.

"PlayStation's history is one of game innovation and great new franchises," said Andrew House, President and Global CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "Hideo Kojima has been a huge part of that history, and we are therefore delighted that he has chosen to bring his brand new project to life in partnership with PlayStation. We look forward to working with him on an exciting new game and warmly welcome him to the PlayStation family."

"I will be taking on a new challenge by establishing my own independent studio, and I am thrilled to be able to embark on this journey with PlayStation, who I have continued to work with all these past years," said Hideo Kojima, Game Designer, Kojima Productions. "I cannot wait to deliver, with PlayStation, a game that will become a compelling franchise."

SCE will continue to expand the world of PS4 to deliver entertainment experiences that are only possible on PlayStation.
He is working on a PS4 exclusive using Sony's money. They say they are an "independent" studio so they can release the game on the PC a year later. I have my doubts we will ever see his titles on the Xbone given that Sony is funding their projects.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #16
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #17
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

This man has only ever made boring, nonsensical, overrated games IMHO.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:00 PM   #18
Anemone
Evil Dead

Badass logo.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:08 PM   #19
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:54 PM   #20
BeachGaara
Evil Dead

What was complicated about zone of the Enders?

Tags
kojima, konami