Today 06:01 PM
2 Replies, 112 Views

Old 10-25-2017, 06:44 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Original Xbox Backward Compatibility Now On Xbox One

Via On MSFT
Quote:
Original Xbox backward compatibility is coming to the Xbox One family of consoles tomorrow, October 24th. A total of 13 titles will be available on this date to play, and the games will run on Xbox One systems at 1080p resolution, with faster loading times and better framerates.

Just as with Xbox 360 games, owners of the original Xbox games can just put the game into their Xbox One console and begin playing. The games can also be downloaded via the Xbox Store for prices starting at $9.99. The initial list and downloads links of original Xbox games which are slated to be released via the backward compatibility program on October 24th
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:27 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Microsoft continues to use old software to prop up the fact that their system has zero exclusives.

I was commenting the other day that the Xbox One X is the first console in history to actually launch with ZERO titles for that system.

That way lies madness.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Microsoft continues to use old software to prop up the fact that their system has zero exclusives.

I was commenting the other day that the Xbox One X is the first console in history to actually launch with ZERO titles for that system.

That way lies madness.
PS4 Pro have zero titles as well. Like that system XboX is supposed to be an intergenerational leap opening up a few new tech abilities that don't warrant a whole new generation, not a brand new generation.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
Terran
Evil Dead

Crimson Skies!!! One of my top five original Xbrick titles. So, the ultimate question, one which I believe I know the answer to:

Will multiplayer actually function?

Magic Eight Ball says: "HELL NO!" Without multi, it's useless. With multi, this game will get some massive playtime from me. LOVED IT back in the day, until they shut off online play.

Open up online for the title. Make it so, MS. Otherwise, bc for it is pointless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:47 AM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
PS4 Pro have zero titles as well. Like that system XboX is supposed to be an intergenerational leap opening up a few new tech abilities that don't warrant a whole new generation, not a brand new generation.
The PS Pro was designed to be faster hardware for PSVR, so it launched with a whole suite of products.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:20 AM   #6
Ozymandis
Evil Dead

I'd like to see Microsoft bring Otogi 1 and 2, and Jet Set Radio Future. There's no way to play Otogi on anything other than an Xbox 1. And JSRF is begging for a re-release (though I know they would run into music licensing issues).
Ozymandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #7
NightRain
Evil Dead

Quote:
The PS Pro was designed to be faster hardware for PSVR, so it launched with a whole suite of products.
Xbox One X is designed to be faster hardware for all things Xbox, so buy your theory it is also launching with a whole suite of products. PSVR was already on the market when PS4 Pro launched. It isn't like they launched the same day and it isn't like PS4 Pro has anything that is exclusive and you can't run elsewhere.

Don't be a fanboy, you're better than that.

My GamerTag
NightRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:50 AM   #8
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Crimson Skies!!! One of my top five original Xbrick titles. So, the ultimate question, one which I believe I know the answer to:

Will multiplayer actually function?

Magic Eight Ball says: "HELL NO!" Without multi, it's useless. With multi, this game will get some massive playtime from me. LOVED IT back in the day, until they shut off online play.

Open up online for the title. Make it so, MS. Otherwise, bc for it is pointless.
From what I gather you can do multiplayer in a LAN, but sadly no net play.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRain View Post
Don't be a fanboy, you're better than that.
This. I am switching from PS4 Pro to Xbox One X as my main platform immediately. Last game bought on Sony was Shadow of War and that's only for the controller speaker effects.

The truth is that neither the PS4 Pro nor the Xbox One X have any "games". They just happen to run most PS4 and Xbox One games way better. And I'm sorry, but there's already way more titles that will take advantage of the X1X than the PS4 Pro even after a year.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #10
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Also have you guys seen what Xbox One emulation does to KOTOR? Holy crap, it looks like a brand new game, totally cleaned up and uprezzed.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:04 AM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
From what I gather you can do multiplayer in a LAN, but sadly no net play.
Then it's truly worse than useless for me, because it will run but not do what was the one thing about Crimson Skies that I truly loved: online multiplayer.

Leave it to them to truly screw that pooch. With me at least, they'd be better off not having it in BC at all rather than offering it up as a corpse kept barely alive on life support. Dammit. :facepalm:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #12
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Wrong. But lets just say "Your speculation does not make it fact" to be nicer.

It is actually a requirement that all titles run on the core PS4. This includes the VR titles so they WERE NOT launch titles for the PS4 Pro they were launch titles for the VR hardware which launched near the Pro launch window though not exactly in cadence.

Does the PS4 Pro hardware run them better? Yes, just like it runs most PS4 software better, just like the XboX will run all Xbox One library titles better.

Like the PS4 Pro XboX is an intergenerational improvement, not a new generation.

Try again.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #13
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Well I went downstairs to see if I could find my copy, and I did. It is a bummer it insn't online, but the single player was fun too.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #14
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

I hope Sony is taking notes.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #15
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
I hope Sony is taking notes.
They are... that's why the (3rd?) version of Shadow of the Colossus is coming out and will sold at full price.

It's the George Lucas model of making money.
The Star Wars individual release.
The Star Wars Collector's edition.
The Star Wars Directors Collector Edition.
The Star Wars Directors Collector Edition Remastered with THX.
The Star Wars Directors Collector Edition Remastered with THX 20th Anniversary Edition.

And so on.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:15 PM   #16
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Eh. I still have my modded Xbox (two, actually) with a big ol' hard drive full of games... and I never play them. Also, regrettably, I sold all of my Xbox games about 7-8 years ago.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:39 PM   #17
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Just build a PC and hook it up to your TV already.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:39 PM   #18
Primus
Valar Morghulis

Quote:

That way lies madness.
Who started the meme that the PS4 has good exclusives? It is all niche weebshit, and those cutscene-heavy singleplayer games. Not exactly huge draws. Exclusives and the concept of killer apps died last gen. Being on the platform with the largest group of your friends outweighs picking up a console for the one decent game that is exclusive for each. i say this as an owner of both.

Also, this is a dumb as shit observation because we all know that adding ready access to all of our ridiculous PS2 libraryies would be a major boon for the PS4.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:53 PM   #19
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Just build a PC and hook it up to your TV already.
The Classic XBox, despite being considered a PC-console in its day, is almost devoid of emulation.

While there aren't a ton of exclusive titles or nostalgia for the machine, it does have a select list of classics that are not playable today without a working original unit. Steel Battalion in particular is nearly impossible to replicate and I envision mint condition units, if any still exist, rivaling some arcade cabinets in future collect-ability.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:00 AM   #20
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandis View Post
I'd like to see Microsoft bring Otogi 1 and 2, and Jet Set Radio Future. There's no way to play Otogi on anything other than an Xbox 1. And JSRF is begging for a re-release (though I know they would run into music licensing issues).
Oh maaaan, "Jet Set Radio Future"! The game I bought the original Xbox for!! JET SET RADIO FUTURE!!! Make it so, Microsoft!*

*) I know it's playable on the 360, but it gets unbearably slow on medium-sized and large levels (the one with the Chinese-looking tower comes to mind)...

P.S.: I'm wondering what "Burnout 3", "Def Jam: Fight for NY" and "Spider-Man 2" would look like in Xbox emulation...

Tags
xbox, xbox one