Happy Friday the 13th!
Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 09:32 PM
16 Replies, 700 Views

Old 07-07-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

One Quarter One Play - Magic Sword

This week's One Quarter One Play was a suggestion made back in the first of these threads by CthulhuFan. So click on the headline and see how far I get on Magic Sword.
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:48 PM   #2
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

It was the summer of 1990. ZZ Top, Billy Idol, Bad Company, and Aerosmith all had hits on the Billboard. At this point in time the arcade isn’t dead yet, and pinball is starting to make a comeback. In fact I was starting to transition from predominantly playing video games in the arcade to pinball. One of the reasons was because many of the arcade games were quarter suckers, and skill didn’t matter as much. Games at this point in the arcade were brutally hard, but every once in awhile a new game would catch my eye. This week’s One Quarter One Play is an example of one of those games. (I want to thank CthulhuFan for reminding about this game back in the very first One Quarter One Play thread.)

This week I play the Capcom classic Magic Sword: Heroic Fantasy. I do vividly remember seeing this game for the first time in my local arcade. At the time the graphics and sound affects were fantastic, and I’m sure the “demo” sounds caught my ear right away. The cabinet isn’t very flashy, but the art that is on it is quite nice.

This is a quarter muncher too, just look at the last line in an advert for arcade owners. “With fifty levels to conquer, plus a special feature witch allows players to choose between two different endings, you’ll find huge treasure in the coin-box for months!” Is this game hard? YES! Because of the difficulty I didn’t spend a lot of time with is game in the arcade, but it always got a couple of quarters from me while it was in my local arcade.

Story
The story of Magic Sword is vague to say the least. For starters you’re on an unnamed world that is being threatened by the “Dark Lord Drokmar”. Drokmar has control over and “evil” crystal. The crystal known as the “Black Orb” has the power to allow Drokmar to take over the world! Well, it just so happens that there is a hero known as the “Brave One” who is hell bent on stopping Drokmar.

At the end of the game after you defeat Drokmar you have the option to destroy the Black Orb or to take control of it, thus becoming the new dark lord.

Gameplay
CthulhuFan also suggested in that first thread that I also do one on the game Black Tiger (also by Capcom). I can see why too. Magic Sword’s gameplay is very much like Black Tiger’s. The game is a side-scrolling fighting, platformer. The player controls the main charter, but can gain NPCs that help aide the player on their quest. The player has a magic meter that fills with not attacking, but will deplete when attacking.

The game has 51 levels with 8 of those levels containing boss battles including the end boss Drokmar.

The game does have a two player co-op mode which is a lot of fun.

A port was released for the Super Nintendo. If I had owned a SNES I’m sure I would have rented the game.

Hardware
Magic Sword ran on Capcom’s CP System, or CPS.
CPU:
  • Primary: Motorola 68000 @ 10 MHz (some later boards 12 MHz)
  • Secondary: Zilog Z80 @ 3.579 MHz
Sound chips:
  • Yamaha YM2151 @ 3.579 MHz
  • Oki OKI6295 @ 1 MHz (7.576 kHz samples)
Display
  • Resolution: Raster, 384x224 @ 59.6294 Hz
  • Color depth: 16-bit (12-bit RGB with 4-bit brightness value)
  • Colors available: 65,536[1]
  • Onscreen colors: 4096[1] (192 global palettes with 16 colors each)
  • Sprites:
  • Simultaneously displayable: 256 (per scanlines)
  • Sizes: 16x16, max. 16 colors (15 unique + 1 transparent)
  • Vertical and horizontal flipping capability
  • Tiles: Sizes 8x8, 16x16, 32x32 with 16 colors (15 unique + 1 transparent)
  • Tile maps: 3 maps, 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048 pixel
RAM:
  • 64 KB WORK RAM + 192 KB VRAM (Shadow)
  • PPU: 192 KB VRAM + 16 KB CACHE RAM
  • Z80 RAM: 2 KB WORK RAM

Finally
Here is my One Quarter One Play of Magic Sword.

Overall
This is a frustrating game, and while I originally had rose colored glasses on, I don't find myself wanting to return to it anytime soon. I've pumped in a lot of virtual quarters over the last few hours and have no desire to revisit this game.
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
CthulhuFan
Subscriber

Not shabby! You are absolutely right this was designed to drain quarters from pockets but man was it fun anyway.

I remember this one distinctly because it was an action / fantasy title and really was a lot of fun but It was not 'fair' like Rastan (all time fav) that you actually could legitimately 1cc. So this, Cadash, Black Tiger and Dark Seal were staples for me going forward in the 90s and I just resigned myself to doing as well as I could but understanding I'd be spending some loot.

Thanks for covering this one!

I missed your Ghouls 'n Ghosts so I gotta go watch that since Ghosts 'n Goblins and Ghouls are two games I beat in my teens that I treat as a badge of honor (NOT 1CCs tho) since they were so epicly fucking hard ...
CthulhuFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CthulhuFan View Post
Not shabby! You are absolutely right this was designed to drain quarters from pockets but man was it fun anyway.

I remember this one distinctly because it was an action / fantasy title and really was a lot of fun but It was not 'fair' like Rastan (all time fav) that you actually could legitimately 1cc. So this, Cadash, Black Tiger and Dark Seal were staples for me going forward in the 90s and I just resigned myself to doing as well as I could but understanding I'd be spending some loot.

Thanks for covering this one!

I missed your Ghouls 'n Ghosts so I gotta go watch that since Ghosts 'n Goblins and Ghouls are two games I beat in my teens that I treat as a badge of honor (NOT 1CCs tho) since they were so epicly fucking hard ...
The setting is what drew me to the game too back in the day. I was originally going to do Black Tiger, but I was even worse at that game.

I commend you for beating Ghosts 'n Goblins and Ghouls. I haven't beat either, but I have fond memories of watching my uncle beat the NES version.

Tags
one quater one play