Last post by Chief Smash
Today 05:57 AM
5 Replies, 446 Views

Old 02-28-2020, 03:32 AM   #41
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
Maybe I'm wrong and we will magically have a vaccine, but that just seems pretty unlikely to me. Like if we could just dump out a vaccine for this why don't we have one for the common cold, which is also a corona virus?
Because the "common cold" is a catch-all term for many different viruses, which would require many different vaccines. The "common cold" is generally quite mild and probably not seen as worth the investment to develop the many different vaccines required to combat it. Meanwhile the coronavirus is at least currently perceived as presenting a life threatening danger. Also, it's argued that coronavirus that appears to have largely emerged in 2019 is not entirely the same as the coronavirus associated with the "common cold," hence often being referred to as the novel coronavirus.

I personally think there are a lot of unknowns with the novel coronavirus, and it does seem odd to have reports of people who had overcome the coronavirus in the hospital, been cleared by the hospital, then appearing to become infected with it again in short time. I don't know if this will become a true pandemic, with a major amount of deaths associated to it, but my concern mostly revolves around people becoming panicky, resulting in the shutdown of services and simply overwhelming systems, both private and public, as a result. The CDC does seem to expect it to become a pandemic in the United States and has advised people to begin preparing now.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:22 AM   #42
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
Because the "common cold" is a catch-all term for many different viruses, which would require many different vaccines. The "common cold" is generally quite mild and probably not seen as worth the investment to develop the many different vaccines required to combat it. Meanwhile the coronavirus is at least currently perceived as presenting a life threatening danger. Also, it's argued that coronavirus that appears to have largely emerged in 2019 is not entirely the same as the coronavirus associated with the "common cold," hence often being referred to as the novel coronavirus.

I personally think there are a lot of unknowns with the novel coronavirus, and it does seem odd to have reports of people who had overcome the coronavirus in the hospital, been cleared by the hospital, then appearing to become infected with it again in short time. I don't know if this will become a true pandemic, with a major amount of deaths associated to it, but my concern mostly revolves around people becoming panicky, resulting in the shutdown of services and simply overwhelming systems, both private and public, as a result. The CDC does seem to expect it to become a pandemic in the United States and has advised people to begin preparing now.
A lab designed strain that has caused already thousands of deaths in China, is most certainly an epidemic.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:20 AM   #43
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
A lab designed strain that has caused already thousands of deaths in China, is most certainly an epidemic.
China is already starting to open factories again.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:24 AM   #44
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Old 02-28-2020, 01:20 PM   #45
Terran
Evil Dead

Outside of the square in the image below, only 106 people have died from this virus WORLDWIDE. In THREE MONTHS:

Alarmist apocalyptic nonsense. Find out who benefits from all the Chicken Little alarmism and you'll find out who is inflating it. The response to this virus has been far, far, FAR worse than the actual virus itself everywhere but China. Closing off travel with China was a good idea. Beyond that, it's been a clusterfuck.
Quote:
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:27 PM   #46
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Outside of the square in the image below, only 106 people have died from this virus WORLDWIDE. In THREE MONTHS:

Alarmist apocalyptic nonsense. Find out who benefits from all the Chicken Little alarmism and you'll find out who is inflating it. The response to this virus has been far, far, FAR worse than the actual virus itself everywhere but China. Closing off travel with China was a good idea. Beyond that, it's been a clusterfuck.
Is that including the 210 that died in Iran from it or not? There's actually been close to 3k deaths so far.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #47
Eats
Developer

Quote:

Why are you trying to make this political? This isn't a left vs right situation. Realistically when covid 19 hits the US it could overwhelm our healthcare resources which will possibly happen simultaneously with the supply chain disruptions that have been created by shutting China down.

It is a big deal that will have a big economic impact which the stock market is pricing in right now.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #48
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Why are you trying to make this political?
LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Progressives are making this political, you dumb fuck.

Keep praying to Moloch for a few hundred thousand dead Americans, buddy. You keep failing to get Trump, maybe that would help.
Quote:
Old 02-28-2020, 06:12 PM   #49
Eats
Developer

Quote:
LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Progressives are making this political, you dumb fuck.
How? By trying to allocate govt funds to preventative measures?

The media didn't put China in full lockdown or overwhelm their hospitals. We should be prepared so the same thing doesn't happen here.
Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:52 PM   #50
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Old 02-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #51
blackzc
Evil Dead

LOL^

Quote:
Why are you trying to make this political? This isn't a left vs right situation. Realistically when covid 19 hits the US it could overwhelm our healthcare resources which will possibly happen simultaneously with the supply chain disruptions that have been created by shutting China down.

It is a big deal that will have a big economic impact which the stock market is pricing in right now.
I cant find any politics in his post.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:53 PM   #52
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
How? By trying to allocate govt funds to preventative measures?
AP: Eats lying about coronavirus readiness, along with his Dumbo-rat pals.
Quote:
Old 02-28-2020, 09:09 PM   #53
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

My workplace instituted a readiness plan, just in case.

I can’t be the only one who has played Plague, Inc. and see how quickly a virus spreads once it hits India. It may be much ado about nothing but better safe than sorry. The hard part is sticking to a fricking product schedule when anyone who gets the slightest sniffle decides they needs to stay home... but who really wants to take the risk?
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:51 AM   #54
blackzc
Evil Dead

Everytime i scroll down the main menu of the board down to TOT and see Kung Flu i lol.

I called it kung flu to my dad and he lost it haha.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:27 AM   #55
Terran
Evil Dead

Obumbles and H1N1: A Walk Down History Lane.

Quote:
Now, let's go to the Wayback Machine. In April of 2009, the H1N1 became a pandemic.

But it wasn't until six months later, October, that then-President Obama declared a public health emergency on what was already a pandemic. By that time, the disease had infected millions of Americans and more than 1,000 people had died in the U.S.

CNN reported at the time:

Since the H1N1 flu pandemic began in April, millions of people in the United States have been infected, at least 20,000 have been hospitalized and more than 1,000 have died, said Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. [emphasis added]
Furthermore, the CDC's Frieden fretted at the time that efforts to create a vaccine had stumbled:

"We are nowhere near where we thought we would be," Frieden said, acknowledging that manufacturing delays have contributed to less vaccine being available than expected. "As public health professionals, vaccination is our strongest tool. Not having enough is frustrating to all of us."
Frieden said that while the way vaccine is manufactured is "tried and true," it's not well-suited for ramping up production during a pandemic because it takes at least six months. The vaccine is produced by growing weakened virus in eggs.

But wait, there's more.

According to Virology Journal, the 2009 H1N1 came into the U.S. from Mexico:

The swine-origin influenza A (H1N1) virus that appeared in 2009 and was first found in human beings in Mexico, is a reassortant with at least three parents. Six of the genes are closest in sequence to those of H1N2 'triple-reassortant' influenza viruses isolated from pigs in North America around 1999-2000.
Now, about that "racist" wall ...
Quote:
Old 02-29-2020, 09:50 AM   #56
Terran
Evil Dead

Senator UpChuck in a since-deleted tweet:

Quote:
Old 02-29-2020, 09:53 AM   #57
Terran
Evil Dead

WSJ: Fear is the Biggest Coronavirus Danger.

Quote:
Just how deadly is Covid-19 compared with the flu, which kills about 0.16% of its victims (including 125 children so far this season)? On Tuesday, the World Health Organization’s Bruce Aylward, having returned from a painstakingly negotiated visit to Wuhan, seemed to argue for accepting the Chinese figure of roughly 2%. But remember Stalin’s quip about the pope’s army: The WHO is dependent on China’s goodwill, has little power to coerce China, and understands how readily Beijing might cut off cooperation in a fit of neo-Maoism.

Mr. Aylward’s view is strongly disputed by many other experts. In the chaos of Wuhan, they suspect China missed thousands of mild cases while also letting dozens die who would have lived with proper advice and care. Numerous have been the press reports of elderly victims expiring at home after being turned away from hospitals.

Here’s my guess (and it’s just a guess): Once authorities in the U.S. start looking seriously for domestic Covid-19, they are bound to find it. The pillorying of California for not detecting its case sooner is really just evidence of how slow the media has been to grasp the Covid-19 challenge. Which of the million-plus people who come down with flu symptoms each week should be given the expensive, hard-to-obtain test? Which of the thousands who check into hospitals with generic breathing difficulties?

At the same time, America is entering the final month of peak flu season. This year’s has already been only about two-thirds as deadly as the 2017-18 season, in which 79,400 died. Americans may actually end up having a safer flu season overall. Heightened precautions taken against Covid-19 will also inhibit the spread of more familiar flu and coronavirus strains.
Quote:
Old 02-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #58
Terran
Evil Dead

NE Journal of Medicine:

Quote:
...overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.
Quote:
Old 02-29-2020, 12:58 PM   #59
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Israelis near first vaccine for coronavirus. Also a potential cure for cancer.

Spec and blackzc hardest hit.
Shutup.

AHHH!!!! Boomers getting ready to hunker down Toilet paper? Both of my shower heads detach. I aint gonna buy a bunch of TP lolol
Old 02-29-2020, 01:28 PM   #60
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Shutup.

AHHH!!!! Boomers getting ready to hunker down Toilet paper? Both of my shower heads detach. I aint gonna buy a bunch of TP lolol
As if they'd ever release a cure for cancer. Keep being cucked for Israel there Terran. Keep cheering losing our boys in wars for Israel. Dumb shit.