Yesterday 11:39 AM
9 Replies, 1,336 Views

Old 09-03-2018, 05:36 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Nazi Tattoos Stripped from Prison Game 'Scum'

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
Devolver Digital and Gamepires have removed Nazi-related tattoos from prison survival game, Scum, just days after it came out of Early Access.

Assets made available via Scum Supporter Pack DLC gave players the chance to further customise their characters with tattoos. Whilst based on real-life convict inking, the publisher states it was not aware that some of the designs - such as the numbers "14" and "88", and the iron cross - are frequently utilised by neo-Nazi groups.

In a statement to Polygon, publisher Devolver Digital said it did "not agree with use of this symbology or any hateful content, regardless of intention" and while "the use of the tattoo was intended to assist in portraying a realistic element of prison culture and the horrid elements within it [...] this content has been patched out".

Devolver further added that it apologised "unreservedly" and will be conducting "a full review of all assets and content in the game with Gamepires".

The developer itself, Gamepires, added: "Recently we patched out content from Scum that included neo-Nazi symbols. Our intention was to create an atmosphere of the worst of the worst criminals in Scum, and to portray the horrible type of people who would find themselves in a 'fight to the death' situation for a futuristic reality show where the worst criminals are pitted against one another.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:47 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I have to give them mad props for including those tattoo’s in the first place, that means they did a good job doing their homework for the title. A shame a few whiners made them remove them.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:01 AM   #3
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Nazi history is fascinating. World War 2 just wouldn't have been the same without them.

Nation of pussies.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Nazi history is fascinating. World War 2 just wouldn't have been the same without them.

Nation of pussies.
Well, I don't want it to seem like I support prison gangs or the whole neo-nazi thing, but if you are making a game where the main character is a prison gang member, having true-to-life tats is a nice touch.

It shows that they put some time into the development and did their research. Would you make a WWII game without the Swastika? You wouldn't because it just wouldn't be the same without it. This is about the same idea.

And what is even funnier is that you see these kinds of tats all the time in movies & TV shows. They are all over super popular shows like Mayans or Sons of Anarchy and you don't see anyone claiming that the developers are supporting Neo-Nazi's.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #5
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

I hope they have a safe space mode, and a chance to chat with other players about being oppressed and neat ways of dying your hair purple, with stuff you appropriated as reparations.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I wonder if the same would have happened if they included the standard Islamic trappings which suffuse prisons making them the #1 recruitment centers from radical Islamic jihadists.

Think they would have photoshopped those out?
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:47 PM   #7
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post

And what is even funnier is that you see these kinds of tats all the time in movies & TV shows. They are all over super popular shows like Mayans or Sons of Anarchy and you don't see anyone claiming that the developers are supporting Neo-Nazi's.
Is that right? I haven't watched TV for over 10 years.

It feels like we are reaching a point here soon where people will just have to get over their feels and deal with things.

Got a bit to go but people are just bored with this crap.

Communism killed millions, lined people up in ditches, burned farms, persecuted the religious and the hammer and sickle is just fine to put into anything.

Communism was 10x as bad as Nazism and is still a threat today.

Its all so tiresome. The first dev to not cuck on tihs shit will make money. Just form a free speech argument like ID Software did and never say shit like (we here at XXXXX are not racist) but, we feel that...bla bla bla...When you give in, they double down, every time.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #8
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Communism was 10x as bad as Nazism and is still a threat today.
Well, to be fair we chose to be allies with the communists. We're the baddies.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #9
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag-Sabot View Post
Well, to be fair we chose to be allies with the communists. We're the baddies.
That's the way i see it.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:22 PM   #10
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
That's the way i see it.
My motherland Romania was an Axis power because it knew what communist Russia would bring to Europe, and they were right. 50 years of stagnation, secret police, breadlines, and misery. The non-interventionist America Firsters were right. It was evil fighting evil in World War II. Two extremes. If we hadn't helped the communists, both sides would have been greatly weakened by the time it was over and the iron curtain never would have fallen.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:42 AM   #11
paragondk1
Dread Lord

The world is so crazy now...

A game where the purpose is to kill each other in a brutal setting is apparently fine, but because there is hateful imagery ON the people committing atrocities, this isn't okay?

Isn't everyone in SCUM a villain by definition? If so, why can't they wear villain symbols like these? Do the symbols do more to make the world a terrible unsafe place than the acts of violence and wanton destruction perpetrated by the characters?

Can the new Wolfenstein games not use these symbols? What about strategy games about WWII?

So many questions.. I apologize.
paragondk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:26 AM   #12
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragondk1 View Post
The world is so crazy now...

A game where the purpose is to kill each other in a brutal setting is apparently fine, but because there is hateful imagery ON the people committing atrocities, this isn't okay?

Isn't everyone in SCUM a villain by definition? If so, why can't they wear villain symbols like these? Do the symbols do more to make the world a terrible unsafe place than the acts of violence and wanton destruction perpetrated by the characters?
Your logic is sound, just like in the "sex vs. violence" debate. On the other hand, the characters in the game are not some unimportant NPCs, they're someone's avatar. As a publisher, you simply don't want to give extremists a platform to express themselves. I fully expect to run into assholes in a game like "SCUM", but that comes with the territory of multiplayer PvP shooters. If, however, the game devolved (heh:-) into a gang fight between right- and left-wing nutjobs, I'm sure the average gamer would simply drop the title. Devolver can't have that.

What I'd like to know, though: Were these "Nazi numbers" explicitly added to the game? Or was it simply a case of users inking their characters with digits from 1 to 0?

Quote:
Can the new Wolfenstein games not use these symbols? What about strategy games about WWII?
Good news (not sure if EvAv reported on it, since I wasn't around since Gamescom): Depictions of historic emblems are no longer banned by default in Germany! "Wolfenstein" will still be an 18+ title, but Bethesda won't have to alter the in-game art any more. Well, unless they depict Hitler with a halo or change the Nazis into heroes, of course...
Old 09-04-2018, 03:14 AM   #13
Juan
Evil Dead

Pretty sure some murders in the real world have tattoos like that, is the real world too much to take? The dev should publicly tell the liberals to go fuck themselves and take the free publicity. Seriously no one will not buy your game because of this shit but some people will respond well to you not kowtowing to the permanently offended.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:52 AM   #14
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Pretty sure some murders in the real world have tattoos like that, is the real world too much to take? The dev should publicly tell the liberals to go fuck themselves and take the free publicity. Seriously no one will not buy your game because of this shit but some people will respond well to you not kowtowing to the permanently offended.
Well, there is a reason why companies try to distance themselves from certain imagery. Two years ago, Andrew Anglin declared New Balance to be the "Official Shoes of White People", simply because the company's CEO supported Trump's stance on TPP. It didn't take long for the brand to be essentially hijacked, all because of one chucklefuck at The Daily Stormer. Companies are jittery right now, because people will take the slightest hint of something potentially hateful and just run with it.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:52 AM   #15
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Well, there is a reason why companies try to distance themselves from certain imagery. Two years ago, Andrew Anglin declared New Balance to be the "Official Shoes of White People", simply because the company's CEO supported Trump's stance on TPP. It didn't take long for the brand to be essentially hijacked, all because of one chucklefuck at The Daily Stormer. Companies are jittery right now, because people will take the slightest hint of something potentially hateful and just run with it.
That's because liberals get offended at fucking everything. Bunch of fucking pussies.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:06 AM   #16
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
That's because liberals get offended at fucking everything. Bunch of fucking pussies.
Meh. Being offended at everything isn't limited to one particular group or mindset. Perpetual outrage is running rampant.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 09-04-2018 at 12:52 PM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:35 AM   #17
vivafletcher
Evil Dead

Yes, it's more real to have them, but the publisher doesn't want to glorify it. Or, more accurately, they didn't want to be seen as glorifying it after people complained.

Makes perfect sense to me. Why are people so sensitive about not getting their special tattoos in a video game? Lego Indiana Jones took out the swastikas on the bad guys' uniforms. I'm sure some people were upset about that, too. They got over it.
vivafletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:57 AM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivafletcher View Post
Makes perfect sense to me. Why are people so sensitive about not getting their special tattoos in a video game?
You know what the best part is? As far as most of the people complaining here, it's not even one of their "special tattoos"! They're pissing and moaning about the removal of Neo-Nazi tattoos when they're purportedly not even Neo-Nazis, themselves.

Quote:
Lego Indiana Jones took out the swastikas on the bad guys' uniforms. I'm sure some people were upset about that, too. They got over it.
While I get why they took 'em out of a Lego game, this situation is entirely different from having Swastikas in a historical/historical fiction setting (like any WW2 video game or the Wolfenstein series). The tattoos in question were purely for character customization and they'd likely only be used by actual Neo-Nazis (and maybe the occasional person who just didn't know any better).

"Yeah, but muh realism!"

Scum is essentially an updated version of Smash TV or Death Race (without the cars); the game is set in a world where Scum is a TV series about prisoners fighting each other to the death for ratings and entertainment. It ain't realistic and I don't really care if some skinhead can't have their special tattoo in a video game that is inherently unrealistic.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:59 AM   #19
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivafletcher View Post
Yes, it's more real to have them, but the publisher doesn't want to glorify it. Or, more accurately, they didn't want to be seen as glorifying it after people complained.

Makes perfect sense to me. Why are people so sensitive about not getting their special tattoos in a video game? Lego Indiana Jones took out the swastikas on the bad guys' uniforms. I'm sure some people were upset about that, too. They got over it.
Because if you remove everything that could possibly upset anyone, you end up with sanitised, soulless garbage. What do you want to play, someones artistic vision or design by committee shit?
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:17 AM   #20
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Because if you remove everything that could possibly upset anyone, you end up with sanitised, soulless garbage. What do you want to play, someones artistic vision or design by committee shit?
Meh.

I'd be willing to bet the only people who would be using those tattoos for their custom characters would be Neo-Nazis/White Supremacists or folks who don't know any better. We're not talking about scrubbing the Swastika from historical fiction. They removed actual tattoos worn by actual Neo-Nazis and White Supremacists.

I, for one, don't really give a shit if those fucks can't use their special tattoos in a fictionalized setting.

Tags
scum