Post something good you...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Yesterday 04:01 PM
72 Replies, 17,042 Views

Old 09-09-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

The Dreamcast Turns 20 Today

Wow, 20 years ago today the Sega Dreamcast was released. I got it on day one. I play hours of NFL 2k, Crazy Taxi, Seaman, and so many more. I still own my original one, and it's in working order.

Did you own a Dreamcast? What are some of your favorite games for it?
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Dual wielding light guns with House of the Dead (can't remember what number). Awesome. But you have to have a CRT TV...
Old 09-09-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I owned my launch system until last year. Finally decided I wouldn't be playing it again and sold it, but just a great system.

And I think I still have the Half-Life disc here somewhere.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #4
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Obviously PSO was a big deal.

The original Soul Calibur knocked my socks off.

I'm looking for some sailors.

Test Drive Le Mans

A real contender to Madden. (NFL2K)

So many more....
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #5
Misanthropist
Evil Dead

marvel vs capcom 2!! capcom vs snk , soul calibur, such great fighting games.
and the fact you could rent games from blockbuster and burn a copy was amazing as a kid.
I went through 3 systems, they were very easy to take apart and replace components. but i sold it 4 years ago
Misanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I was privileged to work on the core version of the operating system which powered the Dreamcast, Windows CE. And a good colleague of mine worked directly on the variant that ended up shipping with the Dreamcast.

Because I was a contractor at Microsoft at the time, and we didn't get the cool stuff like ship gifts, invites to ship parties, and stuff like that but my friend was was generous enough to give me his "ship gift" for that which was Dreamcast branded items including a Leatherman-type multi-tool, and a bunch of other cool dealios.

This was one of my favorite releases. I'd been working toward getting into the games industry for 5 years by this point and this was the first taste I'd been able to get. It was still a few years out from me actually being able to transition from hardware/software to the actual games industry but the little dabbling I had was addicting.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:14 AM   #7
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

I still have my Dreamcast, but the last few times I've booted it up the controllers don't respond. Not sure if it's two controllers that went bad at once, or if the controller port is messed up.

I loved that system though. MvC2, D2, Soul Caliber, and one game that I always associate with the system even though it was multiplat is Nightmare Creatures 2. It had Rob Zombie music, I loved it!

Still have a brand new unopened VMU that I've kept as a backup. Really need to figure out the controller problem.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:11 AM   #8
Scherge
Evil Dead

While it had/has its fair share of problems, I still consider the Dreamcast my favorite console ever. 3D console games finally started to look good (and not just "good for a 3D game"), the arcade ports were amazing, the VMUs revolutionary (if a bit annoying, due to the batteries needed), the VGA adapter long-overdue, AND it was a clear-cut underdog story. How could you not root for poor little SEGA with their incompetent marketing teams in the face of Sony's DVD-supporting juggernaut?

However, I'm afraid the main reason for my personal love for the little machine might be somewhat petty: I was working as a journalist at the time, and the Dreamcast was the last console I got review copies of every major game for. I bought my fair share of imports, but if it weren't for those promos, I doubt I would ever have experienced the sheer brilliance that the console had to offer: "Power Stone", "Dynamite Cop", "Shenmue", "Crazy Taxi", "Jet Set Radio", "Ecco the Dolphin", "Ferrari 355 Challenge", "Street Fighter III", "NBA 2K", "Virtua Tennis", "Marvel vs. Capcom", "Sword of the Berserk" - there was no way to experience anything like these games on any other platform at the time. The Dreamcast also had (sometimes by far) the best versions of "Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2", "Street Fighter Alpha 3", "Le Mans 24 Hours", "Rayman 2" and many more...
Old 09-10-2019, 03:39 AM   #9
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
I still have my Dreamcast, but the last few times I've booted it up the controllers don't respond. Not sure if it's two controllers that went bad at once, or if the controller port is messed up.

I loved that system though. MvC2, D2, Soul Caliber, and one game that I always associate with the system even though it was multiplat is Nightmare Creatures 2. It had Rob Zombie music, I loved it!

Still have a brand new unopened VMU that I've kept as a backup. Really need to figure out the controller problem.
A common problem is that the controller board fuse is blown. Its labelled F1 on the board I believe.

here is a guide: Best of luck

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Sega+Dr...placement/1562

If not then you may need to replace the controller board. Its unlikely that its your controllers both going bad at once though.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:57 AM   #10
ascl
Developer

Definitely one of my favourite consoles... Soul Calibre and Crazy Taxi were the best games IMO. I had my console until very recently, couldn't quite throw it out, even tho I hadn't plugged it in for many years!
ascl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #11
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

love this thing. first time i played online on a console. at the time all i did was PC game. i bought Quake3 on it just to see what it was like. good times.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:16 AM   #12
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Dreamcast was the last console I truly enjoyed. The rest I have purchased -- but I have been mostly PC since the Dreamcast.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #13
Sir_Smokes_Alot
Squire

Dreamcast was great system at the time just too bad it was too late for SEGA to recover from all the mistakes they had made up till that point in mid to late 90s. Me and my buddy put a lot time in to the near perfect arcade port of Soul Caliber on Dreacast back in the day.
Sir_Smokes_Alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #14
lancereagle
Knight

The Dreamcast absolutely blew my mind when it came out. Booted up Soul Calibur and never regretted my purchase. It had so many classics with such a different style. Where else could you get Seaman or Shenmue style games? Arcade ports were excellent and truly classic rpgs like Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2. What a time to be alive with no responsibilities.
lancereagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:28 PM   #15
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Smokes_Alot View Post
Dreamcast was great system at the time just too bad it was too late for SEGA to recover from all the mistakes they had made up till that point in mid to late 90s. Me and my buddy put a lot time in to the near perfect arcade port of Soul Caliber on Dreacast back in the day.
You worked on the Soul Calibur port to Dreamcast?

I love you.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:01 AM   #16
Rommel
International Playboy

It's not 20. It barely made it to 2.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #17
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
It's not 20. It barely made it to 2.
Had SEGA not put out a bunch of crap leading up to it they MAY have been able to (with nintendo's help) have kept sony from gaining traction and taking over the world with the PS2. Maybe.. The PS1 sold like hell but it was still a 3 man race at that point.

The controller was horrible. Everything else was great. I bought mine at launch played it for about a year then got rid of it, by then CGN and broadband internet for the PC was out. It was all over for the DC.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #18
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Had SEGA not put out a bunch of crap leading up to it they MAY have been able to (with nintendo's help) have kept sony from gaining traction and taking over the world with the PS2. Maybe.. The PS1 sold like hell but it was still a 3 man race at that point.

The controller was horrible. Everything else was great. I bought mine at launch played it for about a year then got rid of it, by then CGN and broadband internet for the PC was out. It was all over for the DC.
Had SEGA made a DVD player they might have had a chance. The PS2 was unbeatable.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dreamcast, sega