Yesterday 02:29 PM
28 Replies, 1,755 Views

Old 05-26-2018, 07:35 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

DICE Boss Says Battlefield V's Women are here to Stay

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
The boss of DICE has said "player choice and female playable characters are here to stay" after some people said they were upset with Battlefield V letting users play as a woman in the World War 2-set shooter.

Women feature heavily in Battlefield V's marketing material, in the game's debut trailer, in posters at reveal events and on the cover of the box. You can also play as a woman in the game.

Some people are upset by this, but in a strongly-worded statement issued to Twitter, DICE GM Oskar Gabrielson dismissed the complaints.

"First, let me be clear about one thing," he said. "Player choice and female playable characters are here to stay.

"We want Battlefield V to represent all those who were a part of the greatest drama in human history, and give players choice to choose and customise the characters they play with."

Some people say they're upset about women in Battlefield V because it's not "historically accurate". Gabrielson said this misses the point of the series.

"Our commitment as a studio is to do everything we can to create games that are inclusive and diverse. We always set out to push boundaries and deliver unexpected experiences. But above all, our games must be fun!

"The Battlefield sandbox has always been about playing the way you want. Like attempting to fit three players on a galloping horse, with flamethrowers. With BFV you also get the chance to play as who you want. This is #everyonesbattlefield."
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
Ghostblaze
Evil Dead

I wish they can replicate what BF2 was. Ahhh those were the days.
Ghostblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:11 AM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

So diversity is the goal, eh? With two genders?

Damn DICE, that's really narrow-minded and bigoted of you. I'm pretty sure there are at least 31 flavors of gender currently battling for the progressive mind, what there is of it, lol.

And is the more expensive edition offering a male on the cover because you're reinforcing the supposed wage gap? Men are worth more financially?

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

I just can't bring myself to care all that much about the box art. It's not a game I planned on playing, anyway...and even if it was, I wouldn't really pay much attention to what was on the cover, anyway.

Is the game gonna be fun? Is the content worth the price of entry? Does the inclusion of female character models actually affect anything negatively?
Old 05-26-2018, 09:27 AM   #5
Vulture
Evil Dead

Cover art is just a rip-off of BF3's Burning Man. DICE was rushed after EA dropped the Fall '18 release of Anthem.
Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:51 AM   #6
gillman
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostblaze View Post
I wish they can replicate what BF2 was. Ahhh those were the days.
Fun? Good?
gillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:55 PM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

1) Why are people so upset about women being playable characters?
2) Why must "diversity and inclusion" be a significant goal of any game?
3) If, above all, the games must be fun, why have they failed so badly in the recent past while at the same time putting so much effort into diversity and inclusion?

4) (and most importantly) What will EA/Dice be replacing Loot boxes with in this game? How are they going to bend over players of EVERY identity in their pursuit of even more and more money post release? You can be sure the equality of getting dolla dolla billz regardless of your identity is the important diversity and inclusion feature when it comes to any EA and Dice game.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:32 PM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
1) Why are people so upset about women being playable characters?
2) Why must "diversity and inclusion" be a significant goal of any game?
3) If, above all, the games must be fun, why have they failed so badly in the recent past while at the same time putting so much effort into diversity and inclusion?

4) (and most importantly) What will EA/Dice be replacing Loot boxes with in this game? How are they going to bend over players of EVERY identity in their pursuit of even more and more money post release? You can be sure the equality of getting dolla dolla billz regardless of your identity is the important diversity and inclusion feature when it comes to any EA and Dice game.
1. Because other than Russia there wasn't a single nation that had women on the front lines in WWII and even in Russia they only used women as snipers, not infantry soldiers. If this is a WWII themed game, why would you have the main character and the character on the box art be someone that never would have existed in the framework of the time period? A one-armed female soldier? Not happening.

I doubt many people care that much about their being female avatar's as a choice in multiplayer matches, but it's just dumb to have that as the main character in the story.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:49 PM   #9
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
1. Because other than Russia there wasn't a single nation that had women on the front lines in WWII and even in Russia they only used women as snipers, not infantry soldiers. If this is a WWII themed game, why would you have the main character and the character on the box art be someone that never would have existed in the framework of the time period? A one-armed female soldier? Not happening.

I doubt many people care that much about their being female avatar's as a choice in multiplayer matches, but it's just dumb to have that as the main character in the story.
Very well aware. I posted exactly the same thing when it was mentioned in the CoD thread (when female models would be in Multiplayer only; frog meet slowing boiling pot!). There were exceptions to many rules and there certainly were women fighting pretty close to the front even if they weren't officially recognized as commanders of acting combat forces.

From what I can tell you aren't forced to play a female during the game unless you choose that option at character creation.

I would save my outrage until I find out how EA/Dice are going to monetize the game. EA always has been on the forefront of diversity and inclusion in this industry. It has been good and bad but they aren't going to stop now. Jeez, this is the most tame thing they could have done!

I'm much more worried about the upcoming Microtransaction hell they have planned than I am that Spectral now fulfill his fantasy of jerking off to a one armed female WWII army commander avatar in the next Battlefield game.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:07 AM   #10
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Maybe... It's all a clever marketing ploy and some people have fallen for it?

Free marketing, free word of mouth, hundreds of articles written, all because a woman is on the cover of a game. I wouldn't have even noticed or realised or even THOUGHT that it was an issue.

Did anyone realistically actually care?
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:09 AM   #11
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

P.S. Want to get rid of loot boxes? Don't buy the game. No-one buy the game. Spread the message as far as possible. That's the only way to send a message. Will they listen? Probably not but it's a start.

Besides it's hardly a life altering thing to avoid buying a game for six months.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:11 AM   #12
Rommel
International Playboy

No one complains about Overwatch's large cast of female characters. Why? Well, because it's the future and because the characters have superpowers. In a World War II game, while we aren't necessarily looking to simulate "greatest drama in human history" we are looking to depict it. Apparently that's gone out the window in EA-land.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:45 AM   #13
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Maybe I'm some kind of "male gaze" shitbag or something, but when I saw the picture, without reading or watching a single thing else, I thought "Women weren't in the infantry in WWII. That's wrong."

Is that enough to stop me from buying the game? Not completely. But as an Army veteran it stood out. And if a multi billion dollar company can't make a WWII game factually, it seems pretty stupid. It's not that I really care that they add females to a WWII shooter game, but it's clearly meant to cause a reaction, because literally everyone knows that women were not in the infantry or combat arms in WWII. They've barely started to enter in them now.

Also, I think of the market for BFV. What is the market share for men vs women? Do they really think that if they pander to women they will gain a bunch of consumers? My wife couldn't give less of a shit. Overall, it just looks pandering and desperate.

EA will never learn. They just suck at life.

Go Against the Flow.

Xbox/Steam: Inkabodcrane
Current rig: i7 6700, GTX 1080 ti, 32 gb DDR4
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #14
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
No one complains about Overwatch's large cast of female characters.
People did complain about Overwatch's female characters. From pretty much every angle. Too many. Too sexy. Not sexy enough. Not sexy in the right way. Too sexy in the wrong way. Too fat. Not fat enough. Too many. Not many enough. Too gay. Not gay enough. Etc.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:00 PM   #15
TheHulk
Evil Dead

I didn't even look close enough to see if it was a man or woman.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:17 PM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
People did complain about Overwatch's female characters. From pretty much every angle. Too many. Too sexy. Not sexy enough. Not sexy in the right way. Too sexy in the wrong way. Too fat. Not fat enough. Too many. Not many enough. Too gay. Not gay enough. Etc.
Nonsense. The complaints were driven by progressive feminazis opposed to what they considered sexualized poses and animations.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:27 PM   #17
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
SJW's like yourself were the only ones to complain about Overwatch, Tracer being too sexy if I recall in a victory pose that Blizzard quickly removed so that whiny professional victim douchebags like yourself weren't triggered.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:46 AM   #18
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Good lord. Does anything change? There was a mild outrage when Maria Whittaker appeared on the 'Barbarian' cover.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:57 AM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
SJW's like yourself were the only ones to complain about Overwatch, Tracer being too sexy if I recall in a victory pose that Blizzard quickly removed so that whiny professional victim douchebags like yourself weren't triggered.
Yeah, but it was immediately replaced with a pose taken from 1950's pinup art. They didn't cave to anyone.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:29 AM   #20
Ballistic.
Squire

Seeing WW2 shooters like Hell Let Loose and Post Scriptum coming in their near future, I couldn't give two shits about BF5.

And as a Historian, I have a few simple words for Oskar Gabrielson.... go fuck yourself and your revisionist garbage.
Ballistic. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battlefield 5, dice, ea games