Last post by Booda
Yesterday 08:21 AM
6 Replies, 274 Views

Old 09-11-2019, 06:30 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

200 more GameStop Stores Set to Close, with More to Follow

Quote:
In a conference call with investors today the team at video game and knick-knack retailer GameStop confirmed plans to close 180-200 "underperforming" stores this year, with more to come in the years ahead.

That second bit is the more notable part of this news, as GamesIndustry reports that a GameStop representative alluded to plans for implementing a new, metrics-driven approach to gauging store performance that will lead to many more closures.

"We have a clear opportunity to improve our overall profitability by de-densifying our chain," the representative said during the call. "And while these [180-200] closures were more opportunistic, we are applying a more definitive, analytic approach, including profit levels and sales transferability, that we expect will yield a much larger tranche of closures over the coming 12 to 24 months."
Gamasutra.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:57 AM   #2
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

They'll be gone in a year. Good! I have locally owned and operated used game shops here. They drove GameStop out of my home town
Old 09-11-2019, 07:07 AM   #3
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I've had some run-ins with my local Gamestop over the way they took advantage of my son and my wife on a couple of occasions. On the other hand, I do like having a brick and mortar game store being around. If they die off, I wish at least one other game store would take over instead of it all just going online.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:10 AM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

They have some crazy policies. I needed to get 10 Xbox Ones for a project so I called up the local Gamestop who confirmed they had dozens of new and used ones for sale but they could only sell me 2 unless they got permission from their district manager, who would want to talk to me (for some reason, probably none good).

I told them to get in touch with their district manager but I needed them urgently. After 6 hours and no contact I called them back and they said they hadn't heard anything either but they still couldn't sell me more than 2 new or used consoles without permission even if they had the inventory.

So I we ended up buying them from the Microsoft Store. The district manager never called me.

It is almost like they didn't want my money. Wonder how much their stupid policies like this have to do more-so than their poor sales.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:22 AM   #5
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

They cannot die soon enough.

But we all knew with how shitty they were this day was coming.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:54 AM   #6
Ghostblaze
Evil Dead

Good riddance. Bring back Funcoland.
Ghostblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #7
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

I perfer nonGameStops because they carry older games. GameStop mainly just caters to new stuff and I just get that digitally. Not to mention, they work there for a living and for some reason I end up knowing more stuff than they do.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #8
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

I don't even do brick-and-mortar anymore, unless the store happens to have a game section (ala WalMart, Target, Best Buy, etc). But even with those I rarely buy any games. It's much cheaper to get them on-line.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #9
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostblaze View Post
Good riddance. Bring back Funcoland.
Funcoland sucked too. In fact my worst Funcoland experience blows away my worst GameStop experience. Those cleaning kits were pushed hard and I was once called stupid for not buying one. I was always a pretty quiet kid but I kind of lost it that day.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:22 AM   #10
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

The only thing I will miss about Gamestop is the freaking dorky girls who sometimes work there. They try to suckup the male attention harder than any girl sub-type I've ever seen.
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #11
Blog
Evil Dead

I live just outside of Phoenix and there are at least 3 Gamestop stores within a five mile radius of me. The few times I've been inside, they've been deader than disco.

I certainly won't miss them. There's nothing they sell that I can't get online, digitally, or at a big box store.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #12
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

I have not been to one in years. Maybe if I could walk in and shop or buy the one game I came in for without being pitched a bunch of pre orders or other crap I didn't want I might have gone there more often.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #13
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

I stopped caring about EB/GameStop when the PC games section shrunk down to a single shelf for Diablo box sets and The Sims. I remember these stores and CompUSA carried so much good stuff.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #14
Terran
Evil Dead

EBGames, prior to it's Borgian merger w/GameCrap, was my go-to gaming retailer. They had a great website where I had a 'wishlist' that I monitored and which notified me of price drops (something GameCrap KILLED when they absorbed EBGames). This feature drove traffic to their site (from me) and directly led to sales (to me). That died when they died (absorbed).

Corporate culture matters. Companies that sell out and then declare that 'nothing will change' are full of shat. GGG (Path of Exile) sold 80%+ to Tencent. 'nothing will change...just an investment!' Yeah...righto!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #15
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

I was religiously persecuted by staff when I worked at game stop, and bullied by senior workers in the store.

I lashed out physically at one of them, poor choice I was a different person back then, rather than do that I should have reported it, though I'm the wrong color and religion for anyone to care. "white looking, christian"

They were so bad in this place, that they didn't even try to legally take action against me, rather they wrote it down that I resigned a week earlier, because they knew they'd have a legal case otherwise.

I smile as this store burns, you earned it gentlemen.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #16
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

So many horror stories from this company although in my experience a decently run GameStop isn't a terrible place to do business, I've seen two of those in the last roughly twenty years.

Numerous times I went to buy a new game only to have them swap to used which then required an actual argument to get the new game instead of the used which evolved over time to me simply walking out if they tried to do it without discussing it. Then there was the very long list of things I didn't want, warranties, individual pre order(like I'd say I don't want to pre order anything and they would still ask about half a dozen individual games). Pushing their propaganda rag 'magazine' and rewards program, even now they merchandised their store and what products they chose to carry.

From taking to people who worked there I know these are corporate edicts and disciplinary action awaits those who offer good customer service- and now they reap what they have sowed. I don't like seeing people lose their jobs, but it is with great schadenfreude I watch this company implode.
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #17
vivafletcher
Evil Dead

This reminds me: I have an old Babbage's coupon. Where can I use that?
vivafletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:33 PM   #18
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Blockbuster abused it's customer's with ridiculous late charge fees.

Gamestop does it similarly by under-paying for your used games, which they then mark up.

This is the REAL reason everyone hates them.
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #19
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

I stopped caring about EB/GameStop when the PC games section shrunk down to a single shelf for Diablo box sets and The Sims. I remember these stores and CompUSA carried so much good stuff.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #20
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Really have to agree here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
You don't know what you are talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gamestop