Today 04:43 AM
16 Replies, 1,616 Views
» Promotion

Old 05-06-2017, 08:27 PM   #21
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Just got back. Enjoyed it, but the humor at times felt a bit forced and lacked the element of 'surprise' and 'newness' of the first film, which I think is the better of the two.

A fun film. I'd actually recommend a rental myself. Big screen isn't necessary here.
I went all out for the movie; spared no expense to make it a AAA evening and wasn't disappointed in the movie or the experience (Cinepolis theaters are expensive but nice for a once a year treat).

It is a great movie but I agree it is NOT a Big Screen required movie. There are no huge vistas or spectacular amazing visuals that just scream "You have to see this on a big screen!"

I'd say it's as good as the first but without the newness it feels a little less good even though that's not fair. From the opening Groot moments to the closing it was pure Guardians tone.

In addition 3D was well done (and it was much brighter than the typical 3D which was a plus) but not at all necessary. So you can save a few bucks there.

There were a lot of in the credits snippets besides just the one at the end and a few funnies mixed in with the credits but I think only one was super revealing though a few did have a bit of interesting context.
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #22
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

We skipped the 3D. After we saw how dark Warcraft looked in 3D (the trailer, we were seeing something else in 3D that day) we decided to skip it for future movies. I think Star Wars The Force Awakens was the last movie we went to in 3D as a family. My daughter and I did go see Jungle Book in 3D and I really enjoyed it.

My Dad said he thought Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was better than the first film and I can see that there is some truth to that, there are more laughs and you really enjoy all the characters more, but a lot of that comes from seeing characters we already love back up on the big screen again.

I'm totally down for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (((300 Songs???))) and I'm happy to hear that James Gunn is coming back to write and direct it. I hope this one does really well at the box office so that Disney doesn't skimp on the budget again for the 3rd time around.

I'm not sure I'm up for the cross-over between Guardians and Avengers. I feel like the last two Avengers movies were a let-down and I really would prefer them to skip the team movies for a while and just do the individual character movies, but I know that isn't going to happen and since Disney doesn't own the X-Men or Fantastic Four, we are stuck with the Avengers and Guardians as our only Team.

Does anyone know the name of Stalone's team? I thought I recognized some of the characters. They looked a bit like the original Guardians of the Galaxy???
Old 05-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #23
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

After posting that, I guess Stalone's team would be the Ravagers, but I don't remember them from the comics. I guess it's probably worth the Google. (As LEGO Batman would say.)
Old 05-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #24
Terran
Evil Dead

I'm actually really surprised anyone would have enjoyed 2 better than the first one. The humor was absolutely forced and somewhat stilted at times. It just wasn't the spontaneous combustion of creativity that the first one was. I think that was partly due to the writing, but some of the acting was a bit over the top and ridiculous too...for example, the Ravager who flew the ship at the end on Ego's planet had silly lines and was comical (in a bad way) in his delivery.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #25
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
After posting that, I guess Stalone's team would be the Ravagers, but I don't remember them from the comics. I guess it's probably worth the Google. (As LEGO Batman would say.)
They're setting them up as the next Guardians of Galaxy; the current team isn't going to new seen past Vol.3.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #26
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
They're setting them up as the next Guardians of Galaxy; the current team isn't going to new seen past Vol.3.
That's a long way out then. Will Stalone even live that long? We're talking 6 years or so! Hopefully they have a good handoff in Guardians v3 because I think, so far, the Avengers hand off hasn't been done very well and Marvel is having a rough time transitioning from their major starters to the second generation. I don't think it's going to get any easier without bringing in new brands and retiring older ones.

Let the Avengers be done with after Thanos and bring something new to the table until the Avengers is long enough in the tooth the casting can be redone with "Avengers Zero" or whatever. Same with Guardians. Maybe stop moving as much to TV and invest in more properties for the Movies. Surely the Inhumans could be film caliber if done right. Heck it's already being screened in IMAX.

Of course that means you'll have to do a whole lot better than no-real-kung-fu-to-see-here Iron Fist and throw-back-to-black-exploitation Luke Cage and OMG-could-they-make-these-episodes-any-more-boring Jessica Jones. But I have faith.

I mean, the story and backstory for Jessica Jones is great but the execution was terrible. But the opposite was true for Luke Cage where the story was mostly "meh" but the execution was actually pretty good. Iron Fist was just meh from start to finish with the sole exception of the father and son antagonism. It isn't that it is poorly executed or the story was super bad it is that the weight of disappointment I had going into the show was so mighty. There's almost no fighting, there's almost no actual use of the Iron Fist. There's just whiny Danny Rand and his idiocy and his frustrating gullibility. Which would be fine except he gets taken by the same tricks again and again and again. Fool me once... etc. I get that's the optimistic child-like character but there's this thing called REALITY that has to eventually intrude.

In hindsight it's probably one of the worst Marvel releases except for maybe the most recent Fantastic Four movie.

EDIT: Before someone points out the most recent FF was a Fox release, not a Marvel release; yes I know. I meant a release with a Marvel label attached to it.

Last edited by vallor; 05-07-2017 at 07:02 PM..
vallor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:16 AM   #27
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

If Marvel can't make Avengers work, they are in big trouble. They don't own the FF, they don't own the X-Men and from what you see in the other thread the Inhumans will never be the FF, Avengers or X-Men even if you did put a big budget behind them. Those characters just aren't that interesting.

Heck, the Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't interesting until Dan Abnett (a novelist of ungodly Warhammer 40,000 fame) ditched the entire team and started from scratch again with almost unknown throw-away characters Marvel had done in decades past.

Which is kind of what Alan Moore did with Watchmen... took old throw-away Carlton Comics characters and updated them to modern versions. Abnett did that with the Guardians team.

Marvel could do the same, but not if they keep thinking stuff like Squirrel Girl and Captain Marvel are what we want to watch.

Or just take some chances. A little bit more funk in Doctor Strange's visual and less Inception and it would have been a way better movie. The Collector, Cosmo and Howard the Duck could probably be built into some kind of Sci-Fi buddy heist movie, and lets save the best for last... Alpha Flight is already awesome, needs no updating and would just be a gut punch if they finish off the first movie the way they finished off the first comic book arc.

Is Marvel Studios hiring? Because I think I could get them back on track in pretty short order.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:20 AM   #28
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Oh, and I would totally use the Cosmic Cube to make Captain America an actual Nazi spy. That would have been a great plot if it was done right and brought back the Red Skull. The way it was handled by the current team it's just "Meh." Slathered on top of two pieces of burned toast with a shit sprinkles.

Changing Cap, then having him slowly realize that he has been changed and his whole life is a lie is a great idea to work from and the torture for him is that he would still believe at his core that the Nazi's and Hydra could fix our illegal-overrun & drug-overrun America.

Lots of great story potential there.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:24 AM   #29
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Anyone else notice that when Ego explains the song to Peter that the song lyrics don't really match the metaphor he is trying to tell. It's like James Gun watched a couple of Tarantino movies and then thought he could live up to those same moments where characters explain sponge. But, for that to work, you have to actually know what those songs mean. I don't think Gunn had any clue what any of the songs meant in GotGVol2. I think he just picked random hippie songs and left it at that

Tags
guardians of the galaxy 2