320 Replies, 94,058 Views
April 2020 Games with...
Last post by Aerol901
Yesterday 07:30 AM
5 Replies, 605 Views

Old 03-16-2020, 07:55 PM   #1
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Universal Studio Movies Releasing In Theaters Will Also Release On-Demand This Week

Cnn reports, due to the impact of COVID-19, Universal Pictures will be simultaneously releasing select first run Box Office movies to various On-Demand platforms starting this week
Quote:
With the coronavirus disrupting the global theater marketplace, Universal Pictures is making some of its current film releases available on demand starting this week, the studio announced Monday.

The Comcast-owned studio and its specialty label Focus Features will make films such as "The Invisible Man," "The Hunt" and "Emma," all of which are currently playing in theaters, available to rent on demand services such as Comcast (CCZ), Sky, Apple (AAPL) and Amazon (AMZN) on Friday.

Consumers will be able to rent the films for $19.99 per film for 48 hours.
DreamWorks Animation's "Trolls World Tour" will be also on demand starting on April 10, the same day it's set to be released in North American theaters.
Universal said in a statement that it made its movies available in the home now because of the "current circumstances," which have "made it more challenging to view our films."
A bit too pricey for my taste however, if it does do well, could this be the sea-change people have been waiting for to kill the necessity of the theater experience for first run movies? I think there are still a few spectacle movies but 90% of movies feel like living room fodder anyway. Which is why I think Movie Pass and similar programs saw a rise in popularity.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

There is a lot of speculation that this might end up being the death of the movie theater. if this works out and people will just buy/rent things from home the studios might start doing day and date release for all their movies going forward.

I certainly hope so, I’m one who would be happy to spend $20 rent a movie for 48 hours rather than pay for the movie theater concession stand prices.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
There is a lot of speculation that this might end up being the death of the movie theater. if this works out and people will just buy/rent things from home the studios might start doing day and date release for all their movies going forward.

I certainly hope so, Im one who would be happy to spend $20 rent a movie for 48 hours rather than pay for the movie theater concession stand prices.
I don't remember the last film I saw in a theater. I'm happy with my setup at home.
Old 03-17-2020, 08:47 AM   #4
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I really enjoy going to the theater as long as there's something worth watching and the crowd is good so I'd hate to see the theater go the way of the dodo. And truth be told, the amount of bad crowd experiences I've had in the theater stand out, but they're few and far between. The problem is that there's not much to see that's really worth seeing. Watching at home is nice and I don't have a bad setup. But for me, nothing can take the place of sitting in the theater and have a good time for a couple of hours. But movies are either paint by numbers or too preachy (many times both.)
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #5
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I really enjoy going to the theater as long as there's something worth watching and the crowd is good so I'd hate to see the theater go the way of the dodo. And truth be told, the amount of bad crowd experiences I've had in the theater stand out, but they're few and far between. The problem is that there's not much to see that's really worth seeing. Watching at home is nice and I don't have a bad setup. But for me, nothing can take the place of sitting in the theater and have a good time for a couple of hours. But movies are either paint by numbers or too preachy (many times both.)
I hear ya. The two problems I have are lack of time, and lack of anything that screams SEE ME on the big screen.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:40 AM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Birds of Prey and The Gentlemen are also getting VOD releases early. AMC has now closed all their theaters for 12 weeks, just crushing the chances of any of the remaining summer blockbusters from coming out on time.

I suspect we will see an announcement about Black Widow and Ghostbusters coming to VOD very soon.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:16 AM   #7
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Birds of Prey and The Gentlemen are also getting VOD releases early. AMC has now closed all their theaters for 12 weeks, just crushing the chances of any of the remaining summer blockbusters from coming out on time.

I suspect we will see an announcement about Black Widow and Ghostbusters coming to VOD very soon.
All because the left wants to destroy the economy by overplaying Corona.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:32 PM   #8
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:

Forgive my ignorance of the Hollywood business model but why not just delay the releases of these bigger movies?
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:41 PM   #9
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
All because the left wants to destroy the economy by overplaying Corona.
So, you're saying American liberals caused travel bans, restrictions, and/or border closures in Ghana, Kenya, Morocco, South Africa, Namibia, Argentina, Bolivia, Canada, Chile, Columbia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Vietnam, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey, and Ukraine?

Even Trump is finally realizing how serious the situation is, asking people to avoid gathering in groups larger than 10 people. He, of all people, is projecting the pandemic to finally subside by July or August. He dropped his typical bombast and hyperbole yesterday, and is actually taking this situation seriously. Hell, he practically helped tank the stock markets - and potentially damage his chances of getting reelected by acknowledging the reality of a recession - yesterday by saying, "Best thing I can do for the stock market is we have to get through this crisis, that's what I can do. That's the best thing we can do."

Has the press contributed to the panic and frenzy? Absolutely, without a doubt. Is this situation still deathly serious, despite that? Absolutely, without a doubt.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:31 PM   #10
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

$20 is too much. At that price point you just wait for the blu-ray release in a few months. It should have been $9.99
Old 03-17-2020, 01:33 PM   #11
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
I don't remember the last film I saw in a theater. I'm happy with my setup at home.
^^ THIS ^^

65" 4K HDTV w/ 5.1 surround and the ability to PAUSE and go to the bathroom. Nobody using their iPhone in front of you. Cheap popcorn.

I love watching movies at home.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:07 PM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
$20 is too much. At that price point you just wait for the blu-ray release in a few months. It should have been $9.99
Yeah, $20 is a tad steep for a 48-hour rental. I mean, I get it...but, it's not something I'll likely take advantage of, at least for this current slate of films.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:11 PM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Is this situation still deathly serious, despite that? Absolutely, without a doubt.
Without a doubt? Because this Stanford epidemiologist has his doubts.

"A fiasco in the making? As the coronavirus pandemic takes hold, we are making decisions without reliable data"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:40 PM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
It's based on the idea that a bunch of people are going to be watching it. It costs me almost $40 to take my Daughter to the movies with the tickets, drinks and popcorn.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:14 PM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Without a doubt? Because this Stanford epidemiologist has his doubts.

"A fiasco in the making? As the coronavirus pandemic takes hold, we are making decisions without reliable data"
And 80 doctors from Harvard, MIT, and Massachusetts General say that since this virus is too new, the lack of data makes it difficult to fully assess the situation, but that we're also on track to have our healthcare system overwhelmed.

We don't have a lot of information about this virus, which makes it dangerous. We're still trying to figure it out, and the initial set of data doesn't necessarily paint a great picture. For example, we don't know why infection in certain patients, particularly the elderly and those with chronic medical conditions, can result rapidly and unpredictably in a severe lung inflammation called Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS), which can cause a cascade of organ and system failures.

Should we panic? No. Are there plenty of medical professionals and scientists who want to take this pretty damn seriously? There sure are.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:56 PM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
...we're also on track to have our healthcare system overwhelmed.
So we knock a trillion off of our economy, throw a few million out of work, to prevent an unknown.

Okay. Not saying it's an easy decision, but it's HIGHLY questionable.

Quote:
Should we panic? No.
If you don't call what has happened panic, then I don't know what you would consider panic. Schools closed (one state for the rest of the school year, lol), businesses told to close down (sounds like martial law to me!), countries closed off, entire business sectors dead. We're not in anarchy, but we're in panic in terms of the system's reaction at least.

It really is the nuttiest thing in my lifetime. Just crazy. We going to do this for the next six months? Then start all over for flu season in the fall?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:47 PM   #17
Azzy
Cthulian

Quote:
I certainly hope so, Im one who would be happy to spend $20 rent a movie for 48 hours rather than pay for the movie theater concession stand prices.
Holy shit you're gross.

You want movie theaters to die because their fucking SNACKS cost too much??

I'm pretty sure your opinions on anything involving movies from here on out are fucking shut down. Even at 2x$10 tickets you're stilling having to pay for your snacks.
You have to go the store, buy them, drive them home, and prepare them. Meanwhile the price of ticket basically remains the same. But, well, maybe it's hard for you to shift out of your seat to go do all of that. Even said, the respect of the theater should at least bring a goddamn tear to the eye.

You want movie theaters to die so you can save one or two dollars on fucking cheese sticks or nachoes?

Only assholes go to movies and order that shit anyways.

The fuck is wrong with you people.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:49 PM   #18
Azzy
Cthulian

tl;dr this thread, getting caught up,
tell your daughter no. she can go watch the movie and enjoy that shit or stay the fuck at home.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:58 PM   #19
HillTribe
Evil Dead

I for one love this idea! The price tag is a bit steep, but new movies streamed to our home is something we have wanted for a long, long time.

As for COVID-19. I do not consider myself an alarmist, in any way, but I am taking caution with this one. Its new and information about it is, at best, incomplete. But it has spread far and wide and has severely affected many, many people. If the minimum I am requested to do is avoid unnecessary trips outside, wash my hands and don't touch my face then I will consider that a small price. Maybe its nothing, but I am not ready to bet the farm on that just yet.
HillTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:07 PM   #20
vivafletcher
Evil Dead

I think $20 is very fair. A family of four can watch a movie for $5 per person plus you can pause it, a child can go to their room if they get antsy, nobody is talking, bathroom breaks are easy, etc.

And if you loved it or it's the kind of movie where you miss stuff the first time...watch it again.

Long before pay per view, people would watch fights on closed circuit TV. You had to go and watch it on TV with a bunch of other people at a certain location. Now you can watch it at home. That's technology. Why is that a terrible thing?
vivafletcher is offline   Reply With Quote