Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 08:15 AM
10 Replies, 476 Views

Old 03-25-2020, 08:47 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Horror Legend Stuart Gordon Dies Age 72

Quote:
Stuart Gordon, best known as the filmmaker behind such cult classics as “Re-Animator” and “From Beyond,” has died, his family confirmed to Variety Tuesday night. He was 72.

Although best known for his seminal work in independent horror, Gordon had a varied career that included founding the Organic Theater Company with his wife, Carolyn Purdy-Gordon. The Organic premiered such prominent works as David Mamet’s “Sexual Perversity in Chicago” and “Bleacher Bums,” which starred Dennis Franz and Joe Mantegna. He was a co-creator of the “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids” franchise, for which he shared a story credit, and produced the film’s sequel and directed an episode of the TV spin-off. In 2005, he directed a film adaptation of Mamet’s “Edmond,” starring William H. Macy. Other films include “Fortress,” “Castle Freak” and “King of the Ants.”

In recent years, Gordon was active in L.A. theater, finding success directing the solo show “Nevermore…An Evening with Edgar Allen Poe” starring his “Re-Animator” star Jeffrey Combs. He also directed and co-wrote the book for “Re-Animator: The Musical,” which won several awards and was praised by a Variety critic, who wrote, “not since ‘Little Shop of Horrors’ has a screamfest tuner so deftly balanced seriousness and camp.”

Gordon also won a Stage Raw Award for directing “Taste,” a two-person drama that premiered in 2014, based on a true story where one man agrees to be eaten by another.

He is survived by his wife, Carolyn Purdy-Gordon, daughters Suzanna, Jillian and Margaret Gordon, four grandchildren and his brother, David George Gordon.
Variety.

Terrible shame. Re-Animator is one of my all-time favorite movies. I've got the one-sheet poster signed by Gordon in my closet.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

I liked his Re-Animator movie.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #3
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

My Lord Hollywood was so different back then. It was so willing to take chances.

Now it seems everything has to be scoped as a major hit to even see production.

RIP
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:36 AM   #4
RAV
Evil Dead

It's hard to describe what exactly it is that's disappointing and everyone seems to have their own idea why it's gotten so bad. For me it's not primarily that they would try to be mainstream, there was plenty of popular stuff I happened to like as well. I'm just not much interested in their content anymore, the stories, themes, characters, or details of execution. It just doesn't mean much to me anymore, it lost fascination. I am not saying everything was great back in the day either, or that absolutely everything now is totally bad, but yeah there just seemed to be more of interest even in big productions. For me it's a weird mixture of, all that was edgy back in the day, seems to be common and save now, and all that would be "normal" is now unusual and scarce, combined with a very watered down and soft look at life. Maybe what I mean is, the edgy stuff has transformed into ordinary family friendly content now, so that's how it all looks now, it's all harmless, but also strangely weird, but not in an interesting way, but a boring way. And it kinda lost touch with our primal instincts. I have really struggled to find out and articulate what the problem is exactly. Maybe in part it's the politics behind it, maybe it is about how femininity is nowadays portrayed, or not portrayed, and I don't even mean that in just the cute and nice way, I mean in its full spectrum from light to dark, and its mysterious fascination, and what sets it apart, it all just seems lost and replaced with weird messages or a strange interpretation of masculinity across the board, and a really lame one at that. Well, to each their own, I suppose everyone will keep having their idea about the situation.

Oh yeah, but this guy here, he was doing cool stuff. Not surprised to find out that even though he was doing experimental and edgy stuff, he had a strong underlying backround in classic literature, like Edgar Allen Poe. That's what you usually find about extremely talented and even original people of any subject.

Last edited by RAV; 03-25-2020 at 11:48 AM..
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
re-animator, stuart gordon