Yesterday 12:48 PM
19 Replies, 910 Views

Old 12-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Soulcalibur VI announced for PS4, Xbox One and PC

Quote:
Welcome back to the stage of history with Soulcalibur VI

Famous weapon-based fighting franchise is back with SOULCALIBUR VI scheduled to be launched in 2018 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC Digital. We are extremely delighted to announce the comeback of SOULCALIBUR series following the 20th anniversary of the franchise. Two decades after its first iteration, SoulCalibur VI returns to its roots while bringing brand-new gameplay features to the fight.

Soulcalibur VI has never looked more dynamic or dramatic, intensified with eye-popping graphics powered by Unreal Engine 4.Travel through the signature 16th century stages and experience the struggle for the two legendary swords using a complete roster of returning iconic Soulcalibur characters including Mitsurugi and Sophitia, along with some newcomers! Gameplay has been revamped with all new features such as the Reversal Edge system allowing players to take balance between attack and defense. Once the Reversal Edge is activated, players can defend against opponent attack without any break and directly counterattack with a powerful attack. These deep tactics and battles will be highlighted through a dynamic camera.

Soulcalibur VI will be launched in 2018 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC Digital.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Old 12-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Generous art assets!
Old 12-09-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Generous art assets!
Yes, I see that. The pants on that guy are a little too puffy. Sophitia looks fabulous, though. I can't wait to see Ivy Valentine!
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
Paranoia
Evil Dead

Namco tries to outdo Capcom SFV design. Loving it.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #6
Reaper

There is a God!

Finally Soul Calibur is back!!!
sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #7
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Tayyyyyy! Ayyy-yah!

I'll kick ANYONE's ass with Xianghua!

Last edited by brandonjclark; 12-10-2017 at 12:04 AM..
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead

Really like the artwork. Nicely done!

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:10 PM   #9
Misanthropist
Evil Dead

I hope the eX combo system is more like SF where you can upgrade any attack, rather than just specific attacks per character that had to be memorized. Supers were standardized, but not ex combos! It ended up restricting me from learning and playing all the characters because you had to check which specific attack moves could be extended with an ex bar. Even tho soul cal 5 added supers, it did not get as much playtime and love as #4 did .

so many fighting games!
Misanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:19 AM   #10
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

As a fan of the female form I have no problem with sexual objectification of women, whoever, realistic sized breast on a least a few of the female characters would be nice.

dead or alive trended that in the last outing, if I'm not mistaken even in the last volleyball game.

Some of us like more tame sized, not just global sized breasts.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:31 AM   #11
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryofwrath View Post
As a fan of the female form I have no problem with sexual objectification of women, whoever, realistic sized breast on a least a few of the female characters would be nice.
Well, you can always hope...

Back on topic, though: I REALLY hope SC6 can rekindle my interest in the "Soul Edge"/"Soul Blade"/"SoulCalibur" series. I liked Soul Edge in the Arcade, I loved Soul Blade on the PlayStation, and I was blown away by the awesomeness of the first SoulCalibur on Dreamcast. Then, my enthusiasm just petered out, not sure why. I tried all of the sequels (aside from the Wii spin-off) and they couldn't hold my interest for more than a few hours - ESPECIALLY that f2p abomination.

I just want a simple, well-balanced fighting game with a solid singleplayer story and lots of unlockable weapons in Weapon Master Mode. Is that too much to ask? Looking at the trailer above, I see mediocre Unreal Engine visuals, needless (note that I'm not saying unappreciated:-) boob bounce and completely over the top combos that an old person like myself will most likely never learn. *sigh*
Old 12-10-2017, 08:40 AM   #12
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post

Back on topic, though: I REALLY hope SC6 can rekindle my interest in the "Soul Edge"/"Soul Blade"/"SoulCalibur" series. I liked Soul Edge in the Arcade, I loved Soul Blade on the PlayStation, and I was blown away by the awesomeness of the first SoulCalibur on Dreamcast. Then, my enthusiasm just petered out, not sure why. I tried all of the sequels (aside from the Wii spin-off) and they couldn't hold my interest for more than a few hours - ESPECIALLY that f2p abomination.

I just want a simple, well-balanced fighting game with a solid singleplayer story and lots of unlockable weapons in Weapon Master Mode. Is that too much to ask? Looking at the trailer above, I see mediocre Unreal Engine visuals, needless (note that I'm not saying unappreciated:-) boob bounce and completely over the top combos that an old person like myself will most likely never learn. *sigh*
in my opinion 3 was the best of both character creation and gameplay.

Plus they really screwed up the story mode on the last game...it basically didn't exist as if they had rushed the game.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #13
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Lots of great looking fighting games coming out these days...

So when do we get a new Bloody Roar? ^_^
Old 12-10-2017, 09:42 AM   #14
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
Lots of great looking fighting games coming out these days...

So when do we get a new Bloody Roar? ^_^
HAH, Bloody Roar. Forgot about that old thing.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #15
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

I really would love to see a new one. It followed the same path as Soulcalibur where the last couple were just so so bad.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:04 PM   #16
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
HAH, Bloody Roar. Forgot about that old thing.

How can you forget about Bloody Roar with meatheads talking about ‘Beast Mode’ all the time within 100 feet of a gym or sporting event?
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:12 PM   #17
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post

I agree 100%. My experience echoes yours exactly.

What put me off Soul Calibur was

1) the decreasing effort into Edge Master mode.
2) Guest characters. The idea is stupid and it ruins the credibility of the game. SC2 is the best selling SC game not because it was the best game, but because Link was in it. That’s horrendous.
3) No interesting innovations. SB had moving stages, dynamic lighting and volumetric grass on that one cornfield stage. This was all new to fighting games. SC1 had moving around the arena, which was a new implementation. After that, they basically stopped adding new ideas to fighting games. Meanwhile Dead Or Alive was adding things like sweat and mud covering your character, destructible environments, etc. DOA 5 has a stage where you start in s small room of an old house and then break down the walls as you fight until you’ve either demolished the house or taken the fight outside. SC needs ideas like that.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:01 AM   #18
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
DOA 5 has a stage where you start in s small room of an old house and then break down the walls as you fight until you’ve either demolished the house or taken the fight outside. SC needs ideas like that.
Virtua Fighter 3 is considered a pariah for this reason... Hardcore fighting game fans want an even playing field and reject anything beyond the purity of two fighters facing off to one another. This is the tournament scene, the lot that promotes the title for years after release in the form of events and twitch streams. Since this group forms the base market for the genre and keeps the games afloat, fighting game devs have to cater to this group.

At the same time, this group is not big enough to make a title successful, the old casual vs. hardcore argument. Casual fighting game players want ease of operation, innovative gameplay methods and features and a single player campaign that makes them feel like their $60 purchase was justified because once they go online they find they CANNOT play this game. Since this group forms the margin, fighting game devs have to cater to this group.

As usual, balancing the above is harder than balancing the actual roster.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:17 AM   #19
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Virtua Fighter 3 is considered a pariah for this reason... Hardcore fighting game fans want an even playing field and reject anything beyond the purity of two fighters facing off to one another. This is the tournament scene, the lot that promotes the title for years after release in the form of events and twitch streams. Since this group forms the base market for the genre and keeps the games afloat, fighting game devs have to cater to this group.

At the same time, this group is not big enough to make a title successful, the old casual vs. hardcore argument. Casual fighting game players want ease of operation, innovative gameplay methods and features and a single player campaign that makes them feel like their $60 purchase was justified because once they go online they find they CANNOT play this game. Since this group forms the margin, fighting game devs have to cater to this group.

As usual, balancing the above is harder than balancing the actual roster.
Well put. It's a crying shame SEGA never understood the second rule, or we would have "Virtua Fighter 7" by now.

I'd add one more detail: In my opinion, weapon-based fighting games like the Soul series will always face the problem that, subconsciously, players will separate the characters from the weapons - especially if you can acquire new ones along the way. On the surface, this seems to be an advantage (role-playing elements!), but it gnaws at the core pillar that every match should be perfectly balanced.

Then again, maybe that's just me. I never liked the different fighting styles in the newer "Mortal Kombat" games, or selecting a single super move in a "Street Fighter" game. That always felt like tampering with and restricting my chosen character. I like my fighting games as transparent and their combatants as well-defined as possible.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:29 AM   #20
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

Finally getting Soul Calibur series on PC. Had to miss SC5 altogether (which doesn't sound all that bad, from some of the things I've read about it), so pretty hyped about this one.

Tags
soulcalibur vi