0 Replies, 336 Views
Chris Evans Seems to...
Last post by Exodus
Today 05:44 AM
8 Replies, 956 Views

Old 02-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition looks beautiful but at what cost?

The Digital Foundry put the Windows version of Final Fantasy XV to the test. The results were interesting, and at times controversial.

Quote:
One of the joys of PC gaming is the ability to tailor the game experience to your own liking, to strike the best balance between visual features and performance - and that leads us on to what's most exciting us about this PC release. Every console version has its own range of compromises and issues and we've yet to experience the definitive Final Fantasy 15 experience. The best of the bunch is Xbox One X, but even this has some minor frame-rate issues, dynamic scaling that affects image quality and a performance mode that gets nowhere near to a locked 60 frames per second. If you want native 4K, or if you'd prefer 60fps (yes we managed it as the video on this page proves - albeit with monster hardware in play) the PC version offers the best route forward.
Click on the Headline for the Videos.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
GinRummy
Evil Dead

I did the bench at regular quality, 1080 rez, and my 4 year old computer got "very good" marks. Like 6400, if i remember the number. Granted my video card is a good bit newer than the cpu.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
I did the bench at regular quality, 1080 rez, and my 4 year old computer got "very good" marks. Like 6400, if i remember the number. Granted my video card is a good bit newer than the cpu.
Everyone should take the results with a pinch of salt, since the demo has an LOD issue which might make the results much worse than what you might get from the full version of the game. So it might it fact run much better later on.

From the Square Enix Official Blog:

Quote:

UPDATE:

We would like to thank the gaming community for all the feedback on our recently released FFXV Windows Edition benchmark tool. Your feedback will help us fine-tune the performance of the game.

We wanted the benchmark tool to approximate the level of visual quality and performance you can expect from your PC environment when running Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition. A Level Of Detail (LOD) issue has been discovered that affects the benchmark scores. The benchmark also suffers from stuttering; both of the issues will be addressed in the shipping game.

While the settings in the benchmark are largely pre-selected for simplicity’s sake, the final game will feature highly customizable settings with On/Off options for a wide variety of settings.

The benchmark will give you an idea of how beautiful the game will be upon release, but for the reasons stated above, the benchmark may not accurately reflect the game’s final performance.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #5
brandonjclark
Subscriber

So my AMD FX-8350 and R9 290's in Crossfire, which can run BF1 very well, will struggle on this?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

Quote:
So my AMD FX-8350 and R9 290's in Crossfire, which can run BF1 very well, will struggle on this?
Showing framerates in the 50s @1080p using medium settings-

http://www.game-debate.com/news/2447...-graphics-card

You have a graphics card that came out in 2013, all things considered that doesn't seem horrific, particularly considering that as of now AMD is almost completely gone from PC gaming(8% of the PC gaming market- http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/ ).

It runs, at respectable framerates at decent settings.
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
final fantasy xv, pc master race, square enix