1 Replies, 1,500 Views
» Promotion

Old 07-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

New Atari Console Will Bring "Current Gaming Content" As Well As Classic Titles

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
Atari has revealed new details and images of its first console in over 20 years, the Ataribox. The company has said it wants to bring both "current" and "classic" gaming content to the new device, which will contain "modern internal specs."

Atari said in a newsletter to fans (via Kotaku AU) that its "objective is to create a new product that stays true to our heritage while appealing to both old and new fans of Atari." As such, it intends to launch two editions of its new console: a red/black version and a wood version. The company stated that both variants will possess "a smooth design, with ribs that flow seamlessly all around the body of the product, a front panel that can be either wood or glass, a front facing logo, indicator lights that glow through the material, and an array of new ports (HDMI, 4xUSB, SD).

"As you can guess, those ports suggest modern internal specs," the publisher added. "It also means that while we will be delivering classic gaming content, we will also be delivering current gaming content."
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
blackzc
Evil Dead

Its surreal seeing this. That wood grain is triggering as shit lol.

I'm gonna get one.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
Sinistar
Evil Dead

i'm guessing this will be Android based and that the hardware specs will be a gen or 2 behind current Android phones and tablets. There's no way they are building this thing from scratch with a new OS, et all.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #5
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

I don't need this. It is probably going to be along the line of the Shield. It is going to have a proprietary game library and game store and...

Ah fudge.... who am I kidding, I'll get it...
Old 07-17-2017, 03:14 PM   #6
BananaCommando
Dread Lord

I think this is a smart move by Atari, but not a "real" console launch. I think they saw how the Nintendo NES Classic performed, and they are going to try cash in on the nostalgia wave.

The product looks great, and if it's priced right with a decent catalogue it will sell. It's not competing with Playstation/Xbox.
BananaCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:29 PM   #7
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Looks cool as hell... I want.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:36 PM   #8
Soliptic
Squire

I find it extremely telling they're going on and on about the physical description of the thing and saying nothing about the content, whereas Nintendo does exactly the opposite for their retro consoles in the initial announcements.
Soliptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:45 PM   #9
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaCommando View Post
I think this is a smart move by Atari, but not a "real" console launch. I think they saw how the Nintendo NES Classic performed, and they are going to try cash in on the nostalgia wave.

The product looks great, and if it's priced right with a decent catalogue it will sell. It's not competing with Playstation/Xbox.
This is PC based people, not Android, not mobile.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #10
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliptic View Post
I find it extremely telling they're going on and on about the physical description of the thing and saying nothing about the content, whereas Nintendo does exactly the opposite for their retro consoles in the initial announcements.
It means content is going to be limited. Not rocket science.

Are you expecting Atari to have the money to have an entire launch library like any of the big 3?

We have been dealing with Sony and MS for so long you are not going to catch me trash talking anyone that's making an effort to get into the market. We need a shake up.

Prob is, the internet hate machine takes already established norms by huge companies and applies them to startups. Its literal retardation and may be keeping us stuck with the big 3 we have, no one new can come in.

You think SNK would have had a chance the sell the Neo Geo in a world with internet?
Old 07-17-2017, 08:08 PM   #11
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

The price point will be everything. If they play their cards right, they may get a lot of interest just from the curio appeal.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:30 AM   #12
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
The price point will be everything. If they play their cards right, they may get a lot of interest just from the curio appeal.
Also, the quality of the emulation! Let's not forget that Atari already had 7 (or so) of these retro boxes made, and allegedly, most of them used inferior emulation and/or bootleg ROMs.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:11 AM   #13
blackzc
Evil Dead

This might sound stupid but i miss paddle games. Nothing is as direct as an analog paddle. They just felt right. A modern take on Kaboom with all the flash of new games would be something id pay for. Kaboom is so good.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:29 AM   #14
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
This might sound stupid but i miss paddle games. Nothing is as direct as an analog paddle. They just felt right. A modern take on Kaboom with all the flash of new games would be something id pay for. Kaboom is so good.
I love paddle games too! Played a lot of 4 player War Lords back in the day too.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:49 AM   #15
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Also, the quality of the emulation! Let's not forget that Atari already had 7 (or so) of these retro boxes made, and allegedly, most of them used inferior emulation and/or bootleg ROMs.
I got one of those, the quality is horrendous. It looks like it was given a maximum resolution of 320x240, it's pixelated as crap and nearly unplayable on a large screen TV. Mine doesn't even fill a large screen TV, it's a tiny screen in the middle of a huge black bock. A retro-pi looks 500x better and that is not an exaggeration. Unless you use it on anything but a 10" TV, the Flashback 7 is a rip-off.

Quote:
Yep, that's why I got this back when it first came out. It still rocks.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:01 AM   #16
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
It means content is going to be limited. Not rocket science.

Are you expecting Atari to have the money to have an entire launch library like any of the big 3?

We have been dealing with Sony and MS for so long you are not going to catch me trash talking anyone that's making an effort to get into the market. We need a shake up.

Prob is, the internet hate machine takes already established norms by huge companies and applies them to startups. Its literal retardation and may be keeping us stuck with the big 3 we have, no one new can come in.

You think SNK would have had a chance the sell the Neo Geo in a world with internet?
I guess my biggest concern is the sheer level of vagueness surrounding the actual content they'll be lining up for this thing. When absolutely everything they discussed is focused entirely around the box's form factor, I get a little worried. When the topic of games and content comes up, it's effectively handwaved away: "We'll have some old stuff, but we'll also have some new stuff."

It's always great to have another company in the mix, but a half-assed attempt doesn't do anyone any good.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:51 AM   #17
Juan
Evil Dead

Atari have zero content that's worth playing these days. Old 2600 games are not good for more than 30 seconds of nostalgia.
Juan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #18
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

Ouya with better branding?
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #19
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Atari have zero content that's worth playing these days. Old 2600 games are not good for more than 30 seconds of nostalgia.
I actually agree with this. I dragged mine out of the garage a few months back and hooked it up, but the games just were not worth playing.

The actual old Arcade classics are still great fun, the 2600 versions of those classics... not so much.

About the only title I ever want to play for more than 10 minutes is Adventure.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #20
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I actually agree with this. I dragged mine out of the garage a few months back and hooked it up, but the games just were not worth playing.

The actual old Arcade classics are still great fun, the 2600 versions of those classics... not so much.

About the only title I ever want to play for more than 10 minutes is Adventure.
Fun fact. From 96 on any arcade game with the Atari Games logo, was actually produced by WMS. Better known as Miday or Bally Midway.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atari