Last post by MadMurdock_0311
Yesterday 07:41 PM
5 Replies, 732 Views
» Promotion

Old 12-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

I Bought A Smart Phone

Well, after years of sitting on the fence I finally broke down and bought a smart phone. I've spent the last two months doing the research on which OS I was going to go with, and it was a difficult choice.

The Android OS seemed to be the most flexible, but I found its app store to be a mess, and fragmented.

Next came Windows Phone 7.5. I really dig the Metro UI, but the app store is small when compared to iOS, and Android. I like the social features of WP7 too, and the Office integration, but I still had one more OS to check out.

The last OS on my list was iOS. Apple is known for having great hardware, and a good UI. To be honest this was the first phone in the list I was considering with the Android a close second. While I've never owned a smart phone I have many friends that own one or both of these, so I've played around with them a bit. I had found the iOS to be easier to use, and more responsive to my input than the Android's. Apple's app store is also huge.

So, I went down to my wireless store, and started to play with all three brands. I spent about 30 mins with each OS, and to my surprise I narrowed it down to two. The first was the iOS, and the second was WP7. I felt the WP7 was just as responsive, and in some places a bit quicker than the iOS, and damn I love the Metro UI. I was torn between the two, so I went home without buying either one.

I spent the next two weeks thinking about apps. Once again I've never owned a smart phone, so I didn't really know what type of apps would make sense for me, and how I would integrate them into my daily life. The MS store as of now as 40,000 apps, and the Apple store has 500,000 apps. So I had to ask myself "what do I do". Well I use facebook from time to time, email, browse the web, and play games. In the end both stores had the same apps that I felt I would download. So the app question was answered.

With the app question answered it came down once again to the look, feel, and integration of the OS, and the winner for me was WP7. Not only did I prefer the live tiles, but I also liked how the social apps intertwined with one another, and felt very natural. I also dig the MS Office integration. Oh, and the Xbox Live stuff is way cool too.

I ordered my phone online a couple of days ago, and it will come to my house tomorrow. I look forward to playing with it all weekend.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
ttoastt
Dread Lord

So I got a Samsung Focus, and I like it quite a bit. I'm not really much of an app person - I've download a weather app, IMDB, and maybe two others that I can't even think of right now. I like the live tiles as well, and so far it's been more than enough to fit my needs.
ttoastt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

I went with the htc Trophy 7. It was the only one Verizon has for WP7, but the review for it were great.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Oh, and because my current contract was up I got it for $26.00
Old 12-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Grats on the phone. Loving my Xperia play. Once I got use to the crisp D-pad I use it for browsing the net over the touch screen now. Less smudges too!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
HB_IKE
Evil Dead

Dude! You got the winner :P***

according to Gartner WP7 will be the second biggest mobile platform in 5 years - can't find the Gartner link.

I got myself a HTC Ultimate for Issac Birthday and downloaded so far as Apps:
Adobe Reader
Level App
AudioBook Reader - MS really needs to improve audiobooks for the device
LindyAudio Free - Another audiobook app
OverDrive Media - Another audiobook app
Dictionary.com
Facebook
Google Search - Screw Bing
WhatsApp - Highly Recommend for free Msgs
YouTube

As you said ... I don't really like much else in the stores right now.
HB_IKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
HB_IKE
Evil Dead

ok ok ... stop calling me lair.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/02/gar...m-ios-by-2015/
Old 12-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
HB_IKE
Evil Dead

but then again ...

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/g...-crashes/16279
Old 12-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Thanks lockwoodx!

HB_IKE, your second link makes me a little sad, but most of those numbers happened before the new phones hit the market, so I think their is still hope. I don't care what place MS is in, but a double digit market share would be nice to encourage developers to create games, and software for the phone. Either way MS seems committed to the platform, and I think Windows 8 will also help push it. While I'd never use the Metro UI on a desktop/laptop on a tablet it would rock.

I really think MS needs to do a much better job on marketing the phone. I see Droid ads on TV all the time, and even some iPhone ads, but almost never see WP7 spots. They also need to do a better job trying to attracting their Xbox 360 customers.

Like I said I hope the phone takes off because I really do like the interface, but only time will tell.

I'm going to try and do a video review of my phone for this site, and then video reviews of games for it.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
inscribed
Evil Dead

I have an android phone right now, but I've been keeping my eye Windows phones. I'll never even consider an apple though. Once Windows 8 hits, I think you'll see their market share increase. They have some good stuff planned, and are getting a leg up on competition by combining both the PC version and phone version of Windows 8 into one, which I think would be huge in terms of applications available for the phone, and would quite literally turn their phones into pocket PCs.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/window...and-more/57900
Old 12-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Loving my new HTC Titan. I really enjoy using WP7. Previously I had an iPhone and while it is a great phone, it was more of a tool for me. WP7 is more enjoyable to use for me.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #12
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Thanks for the great read inscribed!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
Anenome
Autarchist

I agree with Inscribed here, I mean, I'll probably never use a Windows phone, because I would much rather support an open source project and company, and that means Android 1000%, no matter what, and you couldn't give me an iphone(spit). But if you're gonna go off Android, at least go to Windows and not stupid apple :P
Old 12-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #14
Dag-Sabot
Evil Dead

Jeez you'd think it's a puppy.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #15
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag-Sabot View Post
It's not a car or an ipad tho :P
Old 12-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #16
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag-Sabot View Post
Smart phones are a big step for people if it's their first one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Well I've had it for a few days now, and wow I've been using it a lot. I know it's new, so that would account for so much of its use, but the email, and calendar functions are so great! I was really wondering if this was something I would find useful beyond a new toy, but now I'm wondering why I held out for so long.

I just downloaded XNA again, I haven't played with it for awhile, but I'm ready to start building games for this thing! For the first time in 4-5 years I want to code for fun again!

Dag-Sabot, while it isn't a new puppy it is a cool new toy that makes me feel like a kid again, and with that feeling comes the urge to share

BTW this is my new puppy Henry:

Old 01-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #18
Anenome
Autarchist

Do you use Gmail or Hotmail? Does it work with Gmail?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #19
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Do you use Gmail or Hotmail? Does it work with Gmail?
WP7 works great with gmail. Syncs email, calendar, and contacts. When you go to add an account Gmail is an option (preconfigured, just add username/pw)
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Yes I use gmail, and like Wolfgang said it Syncs with the calendar. I also have an old rocketmail now yahoo account that it syncs with too. I love the fact that my lock screen shows the next meeting on my calendar (I don't even have to unlock the phone)! Yahoo, and face book are also options that are preconfigured. Add facebook, and all of your friends show up in your contact list, and if they have provied a phone number that's there too. The best part I don't have to launch an app to email, text, call. chat, or write on a wall. When I choose to email the phone askes which address I want to send it from. Great!

Tags
droid, ios, smart phone, wp7