Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
PUBG Performs Badly on...
Last post by wunshot
Today 08:16 PM
4 Replies, 433 Views
My MOST DISAPPOINTING...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 07:33 PM
9 Replies, 568 Views
Bad Company 3 is Next...
Last post by IGXGamingTV
Today 06:24 PM
1 Replies, 446 Views
NSFW: PlayerUnknown...
Last post by Mad Max RW
Today 05:57 PM
60 Replies, 2,672 Views
AMD Launches Much-Needed...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 02:55 PM
0 Replies, 330 Views
Liberals gone wild
Last post by Terran
Today 12:48 PM
689 Replies, 67,589 Views
God Of War PS4 Will Take...
Last post by JazGalaxy
Today 11:58 AM
8 Replies, 1,218 Views
Soulcalibur VI announced...
Last post by JazGalaxy
Today 11:37 AM
22 Replies, 1,686 Views
» Promotion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #1
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead
 
Metal Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 3,203
WING COMMANDER Series - All the Games in BOX + Rare & Collector Editions


For many gamers, the Wing Commander series was our Star Wars for the 1990s...Its mix of space combat sim, sweeping intergalactic stories and Hollywood imagination was a treat for fans like me. It took a while to build up this game collection, but it's a part of my collection that I'm very proud of. So many great memories playing these games! Here is a look at my complete Wing Commander collection.
Metal Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
Jotoco
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Campo Grande, MS - Brazil
Posts: 1,738
Wing Commander is one of the best series ever.
Jotoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead
 
Metal Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 3,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotoco View Post
Wing Commander is one of the best series ever.
I know, right?
__________________
A Long Haired Metal Dude with an Unhealthy Passion for Video Games
www.YouTube.com/MetalJesusRocks
Metal Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead
 
Metal Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 3,203
GAMES SHOWN:
Wing Commander (1990)
Super Wing Commander
Wing Commander II: Vengeance of Kilrathi
Wing Commander Academy
Wing Commander Armada
Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger
Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom
Wing Commander: Prophecy
Wing Commander: Privateer
The Kilrathi Saga
Privateer 2: The Darkening
Wing Commander Arena
__________________
A Long Haired Metal Dude with an Unhealthy Passion for Video Games
www.YouTube.com/MetalJesusRocks
Metal Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #5
Jotoco
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Campo Grande, MS - Brazil
Posts: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
I know, right?
I'm sorry to say that I watched only a couple of your shows.

But this one will be one that I will for sure watch.
Jotoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 6,283
I remember working at Computer City back when Wing Commander 4 came out and seeing massive number of returns.

Problem was it required a 486 *DX* chip; the first game requiring the math co-processor in the generation. I myself ended up buying the "Overdrive" kit which let you slap a math co onto an existing SX chip (if your motherboard was compatible) upgrading mine from a 486 SX/33 to DX/66 just for this game.

IIRC Overdrive was basically a full DX/66 that fit over the original chip and disabled it.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #7
Fubl
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MD
Posts: 447
literally my favorite series ever i have played every single game in the series. wisdh i could figure out how to get them to run decently on a modern pc
Fubl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:24 AM   #8
Nerevarine
Knight
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 48
Got Wing Commander 2 running on a 286 with 10MHz and 1 MByte RAM. But MAN, this was one hell of autoexec.bat / config.sys-adventure. Later on a 386 DX33 and it was fine, but you still needed a 486 for 0 slowdowns. You literally had to go to work HARD parallel to school in order to finance your digital pioneering.
Nerevarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:35 AM   #9
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,009
I got into a heated discussion with a kid who kept saying that Hideo Kojima invented the concept of cutscenes and having a game play out like a movie. I showed him the intro to Wing Commander 2 and blew his mind. he had no idea stuff like that was happening on PC while console games were still in bleeps and bloops.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #10
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead
 
Metal Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 3,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerevarine View Post
Got Wing Commander 2 running on a 286 with 10MHz and 1 MByte RAM. But MAN, this was one hell of autoexec.bat / config.sys-adventure. Later on a 386 DX33 and it was fine, but you still needed a 486 for 0 slowdowns. You literally had to go to work HARD parallel to school in order to finance your digital pioneering.
The Origin games definitely had some of the most brutal memory requirements. I know the Ultima games were some of the most painful to get running too.
__________________
A Long Haired Metal Dude with an Unhealthy Passion for Video Games
www.YouTube.com/MetalJesusRocks
Metal Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #11
Lutheran
Dreadnought
 
Lutheran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Patchogue NY
Posts: 2,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I remember working at Computer City back when Wing Commander 4 came out and seeing massive number of returns.

Problem was it required a 486 *DX* chip; the first game requiring the math co-processor in the generation. I myself ended up buying the "Overdrive" kit which let you slap a math co onto an existing SX chip (if your motherboard was compatible) upgrading mine from a 486 SX/33 to DX/66 just for this game.

IIRC Overdrive was basically a full DX/66 that fit over the original chip and disabled it.
I did the exact same thing. It is amazing what I did in those days to keep up with the Jones's. I think I owned every variation of the 3DFX chipset at one time or another. I bought my first PC at Radio Shack and the guy who sold it to me said it would be good for the next 10 years. Not even a few weeks went by when I started to really learn a lot and realized the guy sold me a 386 instead of the 486 I needed to play some of my new games. Turns out he was trying to get rid of the old stock and I paid 2 grand for that lump of coal lol. I spent a lot of money fixing that issue and all the other issues that popped up with DOS gaming. Most fun I ever had in gaming though.
__________________
The time is near
Lutheran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:07 AM   #12
Scherge
Voice of Reason
 
Scherge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutheran View Post
I did the exact same thing. It is amazing what I did in those days to keep up with the Jones's. I think I owned every variation of the 3DFX chipset at one time or another. I bought my first PC at Radio Shack and the guy who sold it to me said it would be good for the next 10 years. Not even a few weeks went by when I started to really learn a lot and realized the guy sold me a 386 instead of the 486 I needed to play some of my new games. Turns out he was trying to get rid of the old stock and I paid 2 grand for that lump of coal lol. I spent a lot of money fixing that issue and all the other issues that popped up with DOS gaming. Most fun I ever had in gaming though.
__________________
“Ich bin der Geist der stets verneint!” - Me(phistopheles)
Scherge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
metal jesus, ms-dos, pc games, wing commander

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:25 PM.