Yesterday 07:45 AM
19,087 Replies, 3,977,511 Views

Old 12-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #1
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

#New World Available for Pre-order, Play Early

NewWorld.com
Quote:
Get a jump start on your adventure to Aeternum. Pre-ordering the Standard Edition or Deluxe Edition of New World not only comes with exclusive bonus content, it also allows you join the Closed Beta, starting in April.
Here's the FAQ if you've never heard about this game and would like to know more. Basically, it's an MMO from Amazon Games. I think there is a little buzz about this one because, well... It's Amazon. I think they're putting quite a bit of money into this.

New World is available for Pre-order on Steam now.

*A previous post stated you could play now, but it available for early play in April. Sorry, folks.

Last edited by brandonjclark; 12-15-2019 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: error
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:59 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:17 PM   #3
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Wow, they really went back to the drawing board on this one. It was originally based on Colonial America but I guess last year after they got all the super negative feedback (especially re: Native American representation and evil colonialism) they pulled back to this.

Now it looks more like Greedfall than the American colonies or frontier.

EDIT: Here's a write up. Granted it is from Polygon but Amazon has to be careful not to make waves as they come out of the shadows with their games.

Quote:
But New World is also a sanitized re-enactment of the European colonization of the Americas and elsewhere. It’s a manifestation of the great white fantasy of virgin territory and new beginnings. The game treads unwarily into a Heart of Darkness-like country of racist imperialism.
EDIT 2: Realized I used IMG tags instead of URL tags to point to the source of the quote. Fixed.

Last edited by vallor; 12-15-2019 at 07:20 PM..
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #4
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Great white fantasy? Who said that?

Jesus, why do so many current Americans hate white people?

America was barely inhabited when the pilgrims arrived. The continent was devastated by disease and there could've been as little as a million natives left alive across the entire land.

Kinda puts the narrative of mass slaughter through expansion in its place when you think about it that way.

In any case, right of conquest was literally a legal way to expand then.

Sigh, I don't know about you guys but I'm happy America is here and I'm not ashamed how they built it. It is what it is.

The point is were here now and have a pretty amazing country.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

Should be free for Prime members.

I refuse to pay money to support this neocolonialist Caucasian whitewash of Trumpian hate for the suffering PoC forced to digitally die in order to make way for the white man. Unless, that is, the inevitable expansion pack is only available to PoC as a safe space to roam freely outside of the reach of racists.

Translation: Fuck this game, lol. No more interested in a game from Bezos than I am in the Washington Compost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:12 PM   #6
Robberbaron
Lord

Once again What a great movie .. they should make a game about it maybe
Robberbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:21 PM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I accidentally put IMG tags around the URL above so I've edited that post and will post it here for proper quote continuity.

Here's a write up. Granted it is from Polygon but Amazon has to be careful not to make waves as they come out of the shadows with their games.

Quote:
But New World is also a sanitized re-enactment of the European colonization of the Americas and elsewhere. It’s a manifestation of the great white fantasy of virgin territory and new beginnings. The game treads unwarily into a Heart of Darkness-like country of racist imperialism.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #8
AlfredT
Evil Dead

What makes me totally uninterested and wary is the lack of gameplay mechanics information in their FAQ. There are just the most generic of questions with vague answers, 2/3rds of the way into their FAQ.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:06 PM   #9
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Here's some gameplay from back in February. It's probably changed a bit since then.

Old 12-16-2019, 07:35 PM   #10
Azzy
Cthulian

I'm not sure how heavy the NDA was, so..
I "know a guy" who was in the Alpha.
It was pretty fucking boring. The graphics were nice and it ran very smooth though "he" never participated in any large scale PvP, which is what it's entire slant is.
At the time it was a base-building large scale PvP land grabber with some uninspired and mostly unimplemented PvE aspects to support the former. Farming and grinding.
You join a guild and grab land. You build a base on whatever chunk of territory you called dibs on ($$) and start leveling up skills. You put crafting stations and storage areas in your base. You go and raid other bases, you fight off raids to your bases.
It's a lot like I remember DaoC being.
But, "my friend" drinks a lot so he might have just been kidding about it all, Amazon robots watching what I say.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:19 PM   #11
Chief Smash
Subscriber

MMOs need a good world. This one just doesn’t look all that great to me.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:44 AM   #12
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
MMOs need a good world. This one just doesn’t look all that great to me.
I agree. The world depicted in the beginning of the video looks inviting. It would probably be fun to explore this kind of environment. The world in the end, where everything is dead and every creature that ever lived is hell-bent on killing you as well...? Eh, I'll leave that kind of setting to asshole games (AKA zero-sum Battle Royale titles).
Old 12-17-2019, 01:09 PM   #13
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
I agree. The world depicted in the beginning of the video looks inviting. It would probably be fun to explore this kind of environment. The world in the end, where everything is dead and every creature that ever lived is hell-bent on killing you as well...? Eh, I'll leave that kind of setting to asshole games (AKA zero-sum Battle Royale titles).
Yeah, the Survival PvP genre is not the most conducive to fun for me and they are definitely Asshole magnets.

This isn't the first time someone's tried a game like this and none of the others have been a success until they spin off a battle royale mode, I am not sure what Amazon thinks it can do to justify all the money.

Tags
amazon games, amazon studios, mmo, new world, pre-order