Support EvAv - Donation...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 11:44 PM
108 Replies, 200,336 Views

Old 12-22-2019, 10:25 PM   #1
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Diablo 3: RoS only 9 99

In the Battle.net Store you can buy the Reaper of Souls update to Diablo 3 for only $9.99 as a part of the Blizzard Holiday Christmas Sale. That's the best price I've ever seen it so I picked it up. I can't believe I held out for so long. Anyways, I'm playing it and it's pretty good, really good. Way better than vanilla. Damn, I waited too long.

However, that's not what prompted me to post this, which is what is obviously a very old game and I doubt this would reach many of you who hadn't bought it already.

No, what really prompted me to make this post is my utter disbelief that Blizzard never released mod tools for this game. Can you imagine the badass mods people could make on this platform with a mod set like Neverwinter Nights?

This game BEGS for mod tools. I'm just... shocked, even after all this time, that they never released anything for the community.

FFS, they could've monetized it. There, Blizzard. There was your way to make money on this after the RMAH disaster.

Am I off here? Were they fucking idiots or what? Michael Morhaime was certainly a critical part to delivering the success of WoW, but he dropped the ball on this one, big time.

Last edited by brandonjclark; 12-23-2019 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Spellcheck
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:59 AM   #2
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

The mod scene at Blizzard was never tightly integrated with the core brands. If you want to talk about dropping the ball, losing Defense of the Ancients to Riot is a classic.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:05 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
The mod scene at Blizzard was never tightly integrated with the core brands. If you want to talk about dropping the ball, losing Defense of the Ancients to Riot is a classic.
Look at Heroes of the Storm. They just gave up on the game, dropped all their eSports efforts for it and then moved all the developers over to other projects. And it seems like they have done that mostly because they donít want to (or canít figure out how to) control the totally toxic players that clog up the ranked ladder.

You canít attract eSports talent to a game if no one wants to play because the community is so shitty.

Blizzard now just isnít what it was. They have some great licenses, but they donít do much with them. When was the last time they even released a game? (Not counting their yearly WoW expansion.)

Their development has slowed down and their products are nothing special any more. This is exactly the formula for Bobby Cotick. He wants to crank out yearly sequels to popular titles and do nothing else. Look at Activision proper, they literally only make 1 game a year now. They have 3 or 4 teams working on Call of Duty and nothing else.

When I worked at Activision they always had like 4 games in development across a number of different genreís. Now they make 1 game.

Watch Blizzard move in that same direction. We will see a yearly Diablo game, and nothing else.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Well, to be fair to Blizzard, they used to be a one-title-at-a-time studio. :P WoW and the Activision merger changed all that, as well as a need for a new StarCraft & Diablo around the same time period. Gotta announce something at BlizzCon, your own paid marketing event.

The DotA loss appeared to be because they couldn't capitalize on it while trying to marshall all the resources it had available to keep up with WoW's growth.

You are right, Blizzard is not what it was, spoken as a former employee, but working at a company now with a much larger and longer legacy going back decades, the games industry is *young* and moves too fast for anything to really stay as you remember it except within an individual, and even then...!

My views on Hideo Kojima have changed since playing Death Stranding and realizing that maybe Konami had a point in letting him go whereas before I might have given him a spirited, uncritical defense.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:56 AM   #5
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Look at Heroes of the Storm. They just gave up on the game, dropped all their eSports efforts for it and then moved all the developers over to other projects. And it seems like they have done that mostly because they donít want to (or canít figure out how to) control the totally toxic players that clog up the ranked ladder.

You canít attract eSports talent to a game if no one wants to play because the community is so shitty.

Blizzard now just isnít what it was. They have some great licenses, but they donít do much with them. When was the last time they even released a game? (Not counting their yearly WoW expansion.)

Their development has slowed down and their products are nothing special any more. This is exactly the formula for Bobby Cotick. He wants to crank out yearly sequels to popular titles and do nothing else. Look at Activision proper, they literally only make 1 game a year now. They have 3 or 4 teams working on Call of Duty and nothing else.

When I worked at Activision they always had like 4 games in development across a number of different genreís. Now they make 1 game.

Watch Blizzard move in that same direction. We will see a yearly Diablo game, and nothing else.
If if comes to that then it is sad, because that design team is really good and no one can say that anyone puts out a more polished game than Blizzard, even now. Sure, they aren't releasing shit atm, but there track record is amazing.

I just wish they were more inventive with their community strategies. Overwatch, HoTS, bad communities.

Also, I HATE the fact that it's actually important to draw streamers to your game. But I'm an old fart so maybe I'm wrong on this. But to me it puts the larger game (read:single)community in the corner in favor of advertising and dollars.

brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #6
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

hahaha, the nonsense of getting all butt hurt over whether someone calls it "Holidays" or "Christmas" is hysterical. I work with business owners, so I say Holidays unless they say Christmas first. Then I have some people "correct" me, and I'm thinking - who cares. Really. the sentiment is the exact same. Have some great celebration of your beliefs, and some great time with your friends and family. The notion is GOOD and friendly either way.

90% of Americans celebrate Christmas. You aren't a persecuted bunch. They're taking Christmas! Even though....almost all of the country celebrates Christmas! Dumbest false narrative if I've ever seen one.
2% of the country are Jewish.
Other small percentages who celebrate other holidays around this time.

WHO. cares. Holidays, Christmas, do you need your shit reaffirmed all the time? Want mom to whisper your own beliefs comfortably back into your ear before you go to sleep each night? Grow a god-damned skin.

People drive me mad with this shit. Meditate, breathe, take a dump. Do whatever you have to do to relax.

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 12-23-2019 at 01:44 PM..
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 03:29 PM   #7
RAV
Evil Dead

Right on, Brandon. Even Diablo2 has cool mods.

War3 had an incredibly long life, but 90% of that time and reason people played it was the custom scene. In the end, people had it just installed for playing Dota, etc. Oh man, there were so many outstanding games in the custom scene. You saw what success that genre was when it was on spin-off into stand-alone. What if I told you there are many more unique games in the custom scene to SC2, very inventive and absolutely addicting game modes you never played anywhere, absolute jewels, that have as much stand-alone potential as Dota once had. Just waiting to explode some day for someone savvy enough to port it. But I don't care. I only cared about Dota type games when they were mods on war3, and if I had just one game to pick for the rest of my life, it would be SC2. Man, some of the customs are so genius, I played nothing else for years. I don't even know where to start explaining it all. Anyway, yeah, I never cared about Blizzard games without custom support.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #8
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

I own this game for PC, PS4 and Switch. All three versions are well worth owning.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:52 PM   #9
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
I own this game for PC, PS4 and Switch. All three versions are well worth owning.
Same. I got a lot of use out of the Switch version.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:12 PM   #10
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Same. I got a lot of use out of the Switch version.
Now that I've reclaimed my Switch from my daughter I'll pick this up. I've got to finish Zelda first.

Tags
battle.net, diablo 3, mod tools, reaper of souls