Xbox Series X - Just as...
Last post by batkingnz
Yesterday 11:42 PM
32 Replies, 1,567 Views

Old 12-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

That is Why You Fail - Star Wars Disappoints at the Box Office

Disney's Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker led the weekend box office, though there is likely to be a bit of pushing and pulling from analysts as to whether the film's $175.5 million debut is a worthy opening for the final installment in the now 42-year-old Skywalker saga.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of December 20th to December 22nd, 2019.
  1. Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker $175.5/$175.5
  2. Jumanji: The Next Level $26.1/$101.9
  3. Frozen II $12.3/$386.5
  4. Cats $6.5/$6.5
  5. Knives Out $6.1/$89.5
  6. Bombshell $5.0/$5.4
  7. Richard Jewell $2.5/$9.5
  8. Queen & Slim $1.8/$36.5
  9. Black Christmas $1.8/$7.2
  10. Ford v Ferrari $1.8/$101.9
  11. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood $1.3/$52.4
  12. Parasite $.460/$21.2
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:05 AM   #2
Syloney
Knight

So many things to say about TROS.

There was no coercion, jarring scene to scene jumps, nonsensical conversations etc. It almost felt like a very long trailer. It's obvious either a lot was cut off or they had no freaking idea what to do.

For all good purposes, Jar-Jar Abrams tried to salvage the dumpster fire that was TLJ, which to be frank I assume left him little room, when you consider Rian Johnson's choices such as killing off beloved core characters and even possibly a grand finale villain.

I could imagine when this script was been written it was like that vulture scene from the 1987 Jungle book animated film with everyone saying "what we gonna do?" Who knows, Disney might decide to pull Universal Pictures Halloween style sequel/trilogy in like 5-15 years which would retcon this current one.
Syloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syloney View Post
...they had no freaking idea what to do.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I think after the Mandalorian we will not see the "break" in Star Wars films that they were talking about. I suspect what we are going to see happen is that Kathleen Kennedy will be "retired" out of Star Wars and that Kevin Feige and Jon Favreau will be put in her place.

Favreau will run the TV end of things and Feige will run the movies.

We know they wanted to go balls ahead with a new trilogy with David Benioff and D.B. Weiss (who bailed out at the last second) so you know they aren't going to be sitting on their hands. They will find someone else to take over the new trilogy.

While he still keeps claiming that he is going to be involved, Rian Johnson has pretty much said that Disney isn't calling him. And the current cast of this trilogy including John Boyega has said that Disney isn't calling them about doing any TV series.

I think that they will retcon this entire trilogy by just pretending that it didn't exist. If they can bring back the Emperor and Yoda then you know they could bring back Luke for a future series and we will get the "Skywalker" trilogy that we really deserved.

I know if I was in charge, that is the first thing I would do. I would bring back Luke using some stupid clone or force magic BS and then build a new cast with him in the "Obi-Wan" role.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

MILD SPOILERS!

I watched it and... just simply did not care. For any of them. It was fantastic to see a certain character returning, talking to Kylo (I'm not even remotely scary) Ren.

Overall the entire story was trashed when Han fell of a bridge and Luke rolled off of a stone. Utter trash. Sure, it wasn't a bad film, but the heart was gone.

Oh, look, 10,000+ bad guy ships versus 50 good guy ships. Again. For the 50th time.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 12:34 PM   #6
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

i have absolutelly no plan to see it. The Last Jedi burned me plenty. I will see it maybe if it is free on some streaming platform a couple of years from now and I don't have absolutelly anything else to do.

Maybe.
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #7
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

That's actually not a bad opening weekend, and in fact it is over Disney's internal projection of $160mil so I'm sure they will view this as a win.

I'm going tomorrow with my Dad. Apparently critics tend to hate it while audiences tend to like it, so I have high hopes.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Overall, I enjoyed RoS; it didn't exactly fix the trilogy, but I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than I thought I would. In many ways, it actually felt like a Star Wars movie again. Maybe I'm still just a tad giddy at seeing Sidious back on the big screen one more time...but I liked it well enough.

It's far from perfect, but I feel like it was ultimately an acknowledgment of the mistakes made with Last Jedi.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:25 PM   #9
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

The Mandalorian is a one-off accident that will be quickly buried in a mountain of Disney shit.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 03:28 PM   #10
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
That's actually not a bad opening weekend, and in fact it is over Disney's internal projection of $160mil so I'm sure they will view this as a win.

I'm going tomorrow with my Dad. Apparently critics tend to hate it while audiences tend to like it, so I have high hopes.
They kept lowering expectations. The early estimates were between $185-$225 million. I'm going to see it tonight. Hopefully it isn't as bad as I fear.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-ra...hell-and-cats/
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:22 PM   #11
walstib
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACIONAL View Post
i have absolutelly no plan to see it. The Last Jedi burned me plenty. I will see it maybe if it is free on some streaming platform a couple of years from now and I don't have absolutelly anything else to do.

Maybe.
TLJ is the worst of every Star Wars movie.

Congratulations universe: now the first three episodes are no longer the worst of the bunch! And JarJar doesn't SuckSuck like he used to.
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:17 PM   #12
Laz
Dread Lord

My wife and I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. It was a lot of fun. I thought that this trilogy was much better than the prequels.
Laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM   #13
HillTribe
Evil Dead

Me and the wife both watched it yesterday, and we really enjoyed it. We saw it in IMAX 3D and it looked great. Loved most of the action scenes, and enjoyed the story. It was definitely our favorite in the new trilogy, and what they were able to accomplish after TLJ was amazing.

I understand that this trilogy as a whole is far from what Starwars deserves, but I feel much of the hate towards this movie is just way overblown.
HillTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:46 PM   #14
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

A friend of mine decided we needed to see it so he ponied up the money to go to the fancy theater where they serve you in your seats and stuff.

Who am I to turn down that ticket? It's on Christmas day so at least the traffic will be light.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:47 PM   #15
Conco
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Overall, I enjoyed RoS; it didn't exactly fix the trilogy, but I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than I thought I would. In many ways, it actually felt like a Star Wars movie again. Maybe I'm still just a tad giddy at seeing Sidious back on the big screen one more time...but I liked it well enough.

It's far from perfect, but I feel like it was ultimately an acknowledgment of the mistakes made with Last Jedi.
My sentiments exactly!! I would like to add this is the first Star Wars movie in a long time that I've thoroughly enjoyed. Critics hated it and I semi knew going in to the theater that I'd enjoy it. It made my laugh, cry and clap for joy. I guess I am... human, after all.
Conco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #16
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conco View Post
Quote:

My sentiments exactly!! I would like to add this is the first Star Wars movie in a long time that I've thoroughly enjoyed. Critics hated it and I semi knew going in to the theater that I'd enjoy it. It made my laugh, cry and clap for joy. I guess I am... human, after all.

Just got back from seeing it. I liked it a lot more then I thought I would. Easily the best of this trilogy, not that that's a high hurdle. It felt like they deliberately went out of their way to repudiate everything Rian Johnson ruined in TLJ. I laughed at a couple of them, they were so obviously a swipe at RJ. Was a fun movie. Had a couple of dumb spots. Like why they wouldn't just shoot the navigational towers. Why did they have to do a ground assault? Over all a solid 8 out of 10.
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:23 PM   #17
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

Thought it was fun. Seen it twice so far and my option hasn't changed. Its burdened down trying to fix last jedi but it was still cool to see.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:05 PM   #18
Azrael
Evil Dead

Star Wars was good not great, was nice to see it out till the end of the story. I think they were scared of messing up more than anything else.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:34 AM   #19
Azzy
Cthulian

i like when people know they're going to have very little ground to stand on by describing a movie as "good" they instead say it's "fun"
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 05:39 AM   #20
Apex
Developer

I thought it was a piece of crap. Honestly I have a hard time figuring out which is the worst of the new trilogy. The Force Awakens is only the best of the three by a small margin.

How TROS ever left the cutting room I'll never know, the whole film felt like a first draft of bad ideas. J.J. Abrams is overrated in every respect. Reactions to the film I've read on meta-critic are so polarised, high scores from people that seem to be fans only of the NT. Bottom scores from Star Wars fans.

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart