Yesterday 11:44 PM
108 Replies, 200,336 Views

Old 12-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #1
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Squadron 42: 2019 Visual Teaser #Squadron42

via GameSpot

Quote:
Cloud Imperium put together a highlight reel of some of their work on Squadron 42 over this year. I'm glad we get see some footage of the Vanduul and their ships. They're barely ever brought up in both Star Citizen and Squadron 42 to the point practically everyone forgot that there is an alien race in the game.

Chris Roberts also claims that Squadron 42 will have a level of connection, characterization and acting above Red Dead Redemption 2, The Last Of Us and God Of War. Pretty bold statement but it damn better for all the money people have pumped into it.

The beta for Squadron 42 is due Q3 2020.
I dunno guys, we're only getting a visual teaser after all this time? There are action sequences or scripting to show off? Lame?

Click the Headline for the video!

Last edited by BeardedSonOfNel; 12-26-2019 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: Formatting.
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:31 AM   #2
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 03:32 PM   #3
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

I think the alien Vanduul concept art (pictured above) is actually really good.

Thoughts?
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:31 PM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Not shown: a full server farm of AMD 64 core EPIC Procs, 512GB of RAM, with whatever next gen Graphics card manufacturers can throw together overheating trying to create this demo.

Also not shown, a release date.

Also not shown, if people can keep their rides from being hijacked from the landing pad after being summoned from a console 5 minutes away from the pad.

Also not show, the big fat "3" for most of the game systems and infrastructure on any Engineering Readiness Test.

Go, go Chris Roberts total lack of management ability (any of the many abilities, time, people, money, you pick and mix and match with any one of another 40 skills he needed to bring this across the finish any time in the last half-dozen years of this Decade!)

I'm not even going to go back to his original Kickstarter page or suggested release date.

I say we ban CG/Star Citizen/Squadron 42 news on the front page until he can deliver something at least at a 6 or 7 on the readiness chart.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:34 PM   #5
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

Vallor what are you talking about? ships are locked by the player the last 18 months...

I also get 90+ fps...

what hardware you have?
Old 12-26-2019, 11:47 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I haven't bothered even trying to play any time in the recent past. I participated in Alphas several times, backer alpha and open, hoping against hope CR had learned from his mistakes at Digital Anvil and EA. Alas, I couldn't do anything as simple as summon a ship and get on board in multiple releases across many years. That's all I needed to know.

As an aside, my new machine is about as close as you can get for a top of the line gaming machine from a few months ago. It doesn't matter, this thing is so corrosive it will destroy my modem trying to download it.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:02 AM   #7
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Not shown: any gameplay whatsoever.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #8
Meusli
Subscriber

It is playable in a limited fashion, which is an ongoing developement within the persistant universe and what they said they are doing with it. We recently got a cool ice planet to explore and it runs really well on my PC. As for Squadron 42 I suspect/hope we will get more info early next year and start to see it gethering pace as it moves to relwase date. I am confident this is on the right track now after years of pissing in the wind, we will see though.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #9
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Not shown: any gameplay whatsoever.
Not necessarily SQ42 but there are a lot of people (100 or so right now) streaming Star Citizen on twitch.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #10
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadIronTree View Post
Vallor what are you talking about? ships are locked by the player the last 18 months...

I also get 90+ fps...

what hardware you have?
I love how you ignore the entire rest of his post to focus on one thing. Hows that Church of Chris Roberts kool aid taste?
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:36 AM   #11
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
I love how you ignore the entire rest of his post to focus on one thing. Hows that Church of Chris Roberts kool aid taste?
Nice bait :P

Comment on his opinion ? why ? I do not agree but i respect it.

Also something i forgot is that they fixed the download client...

now you only download the parts that changed and you can set the speed so it does not kill your internet... 2 years ago ( we used to download 20-40 gb each patch :P)
Old 12-28-2019, 05:44 AM   #12
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
Not necessarily SQ42 but there are a lot of people (100 or so right now) streaming Star Citizen on twitch.
Most of them are sponsored by CIG. Earlier this year it was revealed they used backer money to provide brand new computers for streamers agreeing to play the horrifically broken “game”.

Also 100 streamers for any game, let alone a game marketed as a MMO, is pathetic.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:06 PM   #13
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Most of them are sponsored by CIG. Earlier this year it was revealed they used backer money to provide brand new computers for streamers agreeing to play the horrifically broken ďgameĒ.

Also 100 streamers for any game, let alone a game marketed as a MMO, is pathetic.
What does any of this have to do with your statement about gameplay being shown?
Old 12-28-2019, 03:31 PM   #14
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

Cool

Quote:
Most of them are sponsored by CIG. Earlier this year it was revealed they used backer money to provide brand new computers for streamers agreeing to play the horrifically broken “game”.

Check the new Financials
https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/...cials-for-2018

Best Year so far and best month
Old 12-28-2019, 03:51 PM   #15
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Check the new Financials
https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/...cials-for-2018

Best Year so far and best month
The red means "Bad". Not sure how you can call this good news when their net is negative for the last 3 years and despite a $46m "minority investment" in 2018 they still lost almost $7.5m. At least that's how I read this thing; maybe an accountant can explain it mo' betta.

Old 12-28-2019, 04:10 PM   #16
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
The red means "Bad". Not sure how you can call this good news when their net is negative for the last 3 years and despite a $46m "minority investment" in 2018 they still lost almost $7.5m. At least that's how I read this thing; maybe an accountant can explain it mo' betta.

Shh BadIron still hasn't realized StarCitizen for the Ponzi Scheme it is.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:00 PM   #17
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
What does any of this have to do with your statement about gameplay being shown?
I responded directly to your laughable statement about 100 twitch streamers you brought up to deflect from the total lack of Squadron 42 gameplay footage.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:45 PM   #18
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post

This was 2018 and they had 53 millions in the Bank... Even if they spend -10 millions more that they made in 2019 they still have 43 millions in the bank... When you make any product you burn money...

Btw December 2019 they make 10+ millions in a month
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen...funding_for_a/
Old 12-28-2019, 08:33 PM   #19
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
This was 2018 and they had 53 millions in the Bank... Even if they spend -10 millions more that they made in 2019 they still have 43 millions in the bank... When you make any product you burn money...

Btw December 2019 they make 10+ millions in a month
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen...funding_for_a/
Unless you missed it, without selling a "minority position" for $46m they would have lost $50 MILLION that year and a trend of losing money each year, as the year prior they lost $5 MILLION and were down to basically fumes in the tank.

Their monthly burn rate with 550 employees is at least $1.25 MILLION even at cut rate prices in places in the world like Visegrad countries, the Czech Republic, Belarus, etc. and that's only if we average out salaries to a mere $2,500 a month world wide.

And I can tell you engineers, even in Eastern Europe, make more than $2,500 a month. And the engineers in the US are probably making closer to $9,000 a month. Let's not forget the executive team who are probably making multiples of that.

I am being extremely generous in my estimates here. I expect the burn rate is closer to $3 or 4 Million a month.

The math here doesn't work; I expect that "minority position" to grow because Chris Roberts can't ship software. He doesn't know how, even after all these years.

As of yet they apparently don't have anything that wouldn't hit past 5 or 6 on a standard MRL or TRL evaluation. They are still in the design and performance stages. You could argue they are in the testing phase but based on their own projections they are only 60% feature complete, much less content complete.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:17 PM   #20
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

He doesn't know how to ship software because he's never gotten the grasp of having a firm design document that avoids feature creep. Star Citizen was originally pitched as a spiritual successor to Wing Commander, not some over grown MMO complete with first person shooting and all the other shit he's promised his cult the last few years. He's a big part of the reason Electronic Arts shuttered Origin Systems, (Garriot being the other) and the main reason Starlancer/Freelancer almost never shipped at all where Microsoft had to come in and finally say enough, finish and ship a product.

Tags
cloud imperium games, squadron 42, star citizen, teaser trailer