Support EvAv - Donation...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 11:44 PM
108 Replies, 200,336 Views

Old 01-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #1
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Assembling my GAMECUBE KIOSK w/ some modifications

Watch me set up the awesome Nintendo GameCube kiosk (2001) and make a few modifications of my own.
Metal Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #2
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Old 01-03-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
Cyrano
Reaper

Cool video (the Gamecube one -- I don't care for BjŲrk, although I used to like the Sugarcubes). That is a hell of a lot of more work than I would be willing to do, but very cool result.
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:43 AM   #4
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
That is a hell of a lot of more work than I would be willing to do, but very cool result.
At first I was pretty bummed that I couldn't get the florescent tube to work and the noisy fan sucked...but once I realized a multi-colored LED would work, that changed everything. Thanks for watching!
Old 01-03-2020, 11:09 AM   #5
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I gotta hand it to you again MJ. You have the ability to take stuff that doesn't interest me (I always disliked these kiosks for some reason) and then make fun and interesting videos from it.
As for the question at the end, I'd probably stick with the TV. I'm a bit of a stickler for saving space in my setup but the whole idea of the kiosk goes against that in the first place. You might as well go for the more genuine experience.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:30 AM   #6
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I gotta hand it to you again MJ. You have the ability to take stuff that doesn't interest me (I always disliked these kiosks for some reason) and then make fun and interesting videos from it.
As for the question at the end, I'd probably stick with the TV. I'm a bit of a stickler for saving space in my setup but the whole idea of the kiosk goes against that in the first place. You might as well go for the more genuine experience.
HAHAHA! Well, my job as a video creator is done here. Thanks!

As for the CRT, the fact that is LOOKS so GOOD in person really surprised me. You forget that these 240p consoles were designed to really look great on your standard TV. Plus those JVC TVs are pretty well designed too. So that helps
Old 01-03-2020, 06:02 PM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I love those old CRT monitors, the colors are just so much brighter than current LED monitors. It's almost a shame we moved away from that technology. I'm sure now stuff like OLED is better, but man were those great at the time.

I still have a small one I used for the entire Xbox generation that the kids use on and off for their Gamecube.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #8
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

You've got to keep the CRT Tv. It fits the space perfect and just looks great. A modern flat screen would just look ghetto. I'm not sure about the reset button. Is there a space on that timer thing for those plugs? I would think that it would just trigger that timer instead of waiting for whatever it was set for.

Another great video man. My local Gamestop had one of those Kiosks back in the day and they really do look great in person.
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:15 AM   #9
Laz
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I love those old CRT monitors, the colors are just so much brighter than current LED monitors. It's almost a shame we moved away from that technology. I'm sure now stuff like OLED is better, but man were those great at the time.

I still have a small one I used for the entire Xbox generation that the kids use on and off for their Gamecube.
I love the older models too. I am sorry that I got rid of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

I wouldn't shell out the money, but if I won the lotto...
Laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:32 AM   #10
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Hehehe I bought one of these at liquidation for about a dollar (Canadian) and sold it for quite a bit of profit on ebay. This was a few years ago, had I thought of it I would have sent it to you (providing you paid shipping)

Oh well, when I get updates from my Canadian Buy n Sell buddies with any cool gaming related stuff like this I'll drop you a line. You wouldn't believe the random shit we get at auctions/liquidation for dirt cheap.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:52 AM   #11
lancereagle
Death Knight

Oh man this takes me back! I worked at EBGAMES back in the day and the Nintendo rep would come into the store and set all the kiosks and demos. I don't know about how the reset plug in connected unfortunately. I do know it would reset the system if it locked up, which I never saw happen, or if you had an annoying kid who wouldn't give others a shot at the games. The magazine holders on the side held Nintendo sales brochures and we were not supposed to put any competitorís magazines on there. Keep the CRT! Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
lancereagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:18 AM   #12
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I wish I could enjoy the older games and this kind of off-beat stuff more than I do.

There's so many modern games to play I have a hard time prioritizing already much less adding retro games or this sort of collecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I love those old CRT monitors, the colors are just so much brighter than current LED monitors.
Oh hell yes. The difference was so clear when LCDs were put side by side. OLED is the only thing that comes close. If I didn't want HD gaming I might still have my old 21" NEC monitor floating around. It weighed 100 lbs but was brilliant.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:50 AM   #13
RAV
Evil Dead

Yeah, I recently saw some guys hooking up old but good quality CRTs on modern PCs for modern games. The difference was just astounding. It actually is a lot more impressive now than it was even back in the day, because the visual quality of the games brings out the brilliance of CRT even more, especially with HDR and raytracing. Even on lower resolution it just looked so much better. Crazy. The response time is perfect too. And no ghosting, and no whatever we had to put up with the last 20 years or so. It's incredible with what we put up in that time. it was a massive step back in every functional way except size convenience. OLED may be the first to come close again to the visual, but it may still not have quite the same input response time. Man, this will take us another 10 years until we maybe some day have great screens again at an affordable price. But okay, I think LCD was easier on the eye for reading text.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game room, gamecube, metal jesus, nintendo