Yesterday 11:57 PM
0 Replies, 132 Views

Old 01-03-2020, 05:28 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Respawn co-founder Vince Zampella steps in to head DICE Los Angeles

Quote:
Respawn's Vince Zampella to lead EA DICE's LA studio

Respawn Entertainment CEO Vince Zampella has taken on a new project leading Electronic Arts: EA DICE's Los Angeles studio.

In an interview with The LA Times, Zampella revealed his new role at DICE LA, which he will take on while remaining with Respawn Entertainment. Zampella described his position at Respawn as being that of a "head coach" now, and GamesIndustry.biz has reached out to EA for added clarification on his ongoing role with the studio.

While he's taking on the LA studio head role while it's still referred to as an EA DICE studio, Zampella said it would likely undergo a rebranding, separting itself both from DICE Stockholm as well as Respawn.

"We want to give it a new image. We want people to say, 'This is a destination you can go and make new content.' I think they've kind of gotten the branding that they are the support studio for DICE Stockholm. I think rebranding is important for showing people, 'Hey! Come work here. We're going to do some amazing things.'"

Under Zampella's leadership, the LA studio is currently working on a new, original game that hasn't yet been revealed.

EA chief studios officer Laura Miele is overseeing Zampella's transition.

"I think under Vince's leadership the expectation is to have them work on and create a game on their own," she said. "And I genuinely believe that he is going to help guide them creatively. He's going to help them further fortify and build out their talent and their team. I think we're going to have a really strong studio out of our Los Angeles location. They can go from a support team to a full stand-alone studio to create a new game offering."
gamesindustry.biz.

Fired or Demoted?
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
EA chief studios officer Laura Miele is overseeing Zampella's transition.
When someone else is going to "oversee" your leaving the company you founded, it sure sounds like you got fired to me.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:06 PM   #3
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
When someone else is going to "oversee" your leaving the company you founded, it sure sounds like you got fired to me.
People who get fired don't get brought on to lead a rebranded studio. C'mon Evil.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:33 PM   #4
AlfredT
Evil Dead

He kinda looks like Julian Assange's estranged brother
Old 01-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #5
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Well, either way. It would be exciting to head a new studio.
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:24 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Good for him. There isn't likely a lot more he could do at Respawn and revitalizing a Studio is exciting, challenging; a good step for him.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:15 AM   #7
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
He kinda looks like Julian Assange's estranged brother
He looks like an aged Matthew Perry (Friends) to me.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:23 PM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Good for him. There isn't likely a lot more he could do at Respawn and revitalizing a Studio is exciting, challenging; a good step for him.
They could actually make a hit game for once? That seems like a challenge.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:28 PM   #9
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
They could actually make a hit game for once? That seems like a challenge.
Apex didn't do well for them? Titanfall 2 wasn't critically acclaimed? How bout Jedi Fallen Order? Is that bombing too? Your opinions on the very industry you've dedicated so many years to are so far out of left field it's ridiculous.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:09 PM   #10
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Apex didn't do well for them? Titanfall 2 wasn't critically acclaimed? How bout Jedi Fallen Order? Is that bombing too? Your opinions on the very industry you've dedicated so many years to are so far out of left field it's ridiculous.
He might be talking about DICE, which hasn't put out a hit in a long long time.

Mind you Battlefront 2 is in a really good state right now (I think people generally like it these days?), but a hit I wouldn't say it is/was.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:16 PM   #11
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

It would be interesting if DICE LA became the game-maker so DICE proper could focus on their engine.

On the other hand it says he wants to rebrand the LA studio so even if they make an awesome game DICE won't get the credit.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:22 PM   #12
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
He looks like an aged Matthew Perry (Friends) to me.
Totally! Now I cannot unsee him as that.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:34 AM   #13
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
He might be talking about DICE, which hasn't put out a hit in a long long time.

Mind you Battlefront 2 is in a really good state right now (I think people generally like it these days?), but a hit I wouldn't say it is/was.
Has to be that'd be the only thing that makes sense in those comments. Respawn hasn't done so bad for themselves. Though to make the comment that Zampella is being "fired" only to head another studio within EA is just a strange statement to make to begin with. Then again it's Evil he does this alot.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:24 AM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Has to be that'd be the only thing that makes sense in those comments. Respawn hasn't done so bad for themselves. Though to make the comment that Zampella is being "fired" only to head another studio within EA is just a strange statement to make to begin with. Then again it's Evil he does this alot.
Getting kicked out of the company you formed to go to some 3rd rate DLC developer in LA... that is obviously getting fired no matter how EA and Zampella try to spin it.

Respawn has had a string of either outright failures (Titanfall, Titanfall 2) or just average sellers (Apex, Star Wars).

All Apex Legends had to do to make mountains of cash was offer cool characters for people to pay for as DLC and instead all of their characters just look like someone picked them out of the "generic Sci Fi soldier" folder at some art college.

No one leaves their company and their office by choice and taking some executive you can't get rid of for contract reasons and dumping them on some other smaller studio where they can't do much damage is exactly what you do.

It's not a promotion or an opportunity. It's getting demoted.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:15 AM   #15
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
No one leaves their company and their office by choice and taking some executive you can't get rid of for contract reasons and dumping them on some other smaller studio where they can't do much damage is exactly what you do.
This guy has "Fuck You" money. If he didn't give a shit or felt he were being mistreated he'd just leave. It is obvious his contract is either up or soon to be up since they likely couldn't remove him from Respawn otherwise.

No, I get the feeling Respawn is in good hands and, since it's no longer his company, he may as well try something new and interesting.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:06 PM   #16
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

No hit game? What? Didn't he just make the new Jedi Fallen Order game at Respawn that was an actual well reviewed hit for EA?
Old 01-06-2020, 05:52 PM   #17
ldi222
Evil Dead

Respawn is the best developer in the EA umbrella, this is good news for DICE LA.
ldi222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:27 PM   #18
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
This guy has "Fuck You" money. If he didn't give a shit or felt he were being mistreated he'd just leave. It is obvious his contract is either up or soon to be up since they likely couldn't remove him from Respawn otherwise.

No, I get the feeling Respawn is in good hands and, since it's no longer his company, he may as well try something new and interesting.
No matter how rich you are (He is in the range of a total net worth of $40 million.) it has to hurt to get kicked out of the company you founded. Money canít fix that kind of wound to your pride.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:34 PM   #19
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
No hit game? What? Didn't he just make the new Jedi Fallen Order game at Respawn that was an actual well reviewed hit for EA?
The only thing EA has said about sales figures are that it was the ďBest Selling Star Wars title availableĒ (compared to what? The two-year old Battlefront II?) and that it was also the best selling digital title the week it launched.

The almost complete lack of any real number of physical units sold would indicate that the sales are average-to-poor. Usually when these publishers start breaking the 1, 2 & 5 million mark they usually crow about it. ď1 Million sold in a week!Ē And foolishness like that. None of which we have seen for Fallen Order. Iím guessing from the lack of commentary from EA that it isnít breaking any records and that is part of what is leading them to showing Vince the door.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:40 PM   #20
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
The only thing EA has said about sales figures are that it was the ďBest Selling Star Wars title availableĒ (compared to what? The two-year old Battlefront II?) and that it was also the best selling digital title the week it launched.

The almost complete lack of any real number of physical units sold would indicate that the sales are average-to-poor. Usually when these publishers start breaking the 1, 2 & 5 million mark they usually crow about it. ď1 Million sold in a week!Ē And foolishness like that. None of which we have seen for Fallen Order. Iím guessing from the lack of commentary from EA that it isnít breaking any records and that is part of what is leading them to showing Vince the door.
So in Evil's mind that means it must have totally flopped! Again considering how long you've covered this industry which I appreciate since EvAv has been the best gaming site imo for a long time, some of the comments you make do baffle me.

Tags
respawn