Today 06:46 AM
1 Replies, 158 Views

Old 01-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Xbox 360 Disc-Scratch Lawsuit Appeal to be Heard by Supreme Court #Xbox360

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
Some Xbox 360 owners have been upset over the system scratching their discs and are trying to serve Microsoft with a class-action lawsuit. Now, the Supreme Court will decide whether or not the company will have to face it.

The Court agreed January 15 to hear Microsoft's appeal, which argues the scratched discs result from misusing its product and not a defect (via Associated Press). Microsoft claims that out of the 80 million Xbox 360 systems they've sold, only 0.4 percent of owners have reported disc scratching.

It was dismissed in 2012 with a judge ruling there were not enough complaints to justify the use of a class action lawsuit. However, it has since been reversed by a federal appeals court, allowing it to move forward.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #2
Tolgar
Evil Dead

I've heard offhand a few people mentioning that their 360 ate a disk or two over the years. I have to wonder if it is from 360s being mostly vertical in ads and presentations, so folks were prone to use it that way, and any wobbling at high spin rates, or some other phenomenon.

The Red Ring of Death was certainly the more prominent "feature" of the console though.

I remember back in the rental scene, AGES ago, PS1 disks that were regular CDs were notoriously abused and scratched, so I went for a N64 cause you could rent a cartridge without those problems. PS2 DVDs were a lot more durable and I can't really remember a single disk being scratched over it's generation of rentals. Was all cartridge before that personally, I imagine Dreamcast and SegaCD had their share of CD quality scratches.

What's strange is this comes to the Supreme Court arguably after the 360 generation is over with. I guess that's law for you. Wonder when the original lawsuit was filed?
Tolgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:06 PM   #3
Tolgar
Evil Dead

Says dismissed in 2012 but could have taken a while to get to that point.
Tolgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:46 PM   #4
92miata
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolgar View Post
Says dismissed in 2012 but could have taken a while to get to that point.
The reason I know that I am going to heaven is judges and lawyers. Cum dumpsters both of them.
92miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:53 AM   #5
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92miata View Post
The reason I know that I am going to heaven is judges and lawyers. Cum dumpsters both of them.
Oh, do religions grade on a curve these days?
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:57 AM   #6
Valar Morghulis
Death Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Oh, do religions grade on a curve these days?
Maybe it is quota-based rather than a strict merit-based system. Possibly a mix where merit is calculated on demographics.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:01 AM   #7
Juan
Evil Dead

When Gears 1 first came out, the game game stopped working for me after a few hours. I opened the tray and saw the disk had developed a thick circular scratch. I went a swapped it (assuming it was a manufacturing fault). Before I put the new disk in i checked and it was perfect. A few hours later the game stops working, so I have a look and the same circular scratch has appeared again.

I realized i had my 360 stood vertically on a carpet where it wasn't as stable as it probably should have been. I think that the problem is that on certain games, the disk motor can cause the console to wobble slightly and a design flaw means that this causes the disk to catch on the tray. Once I put the console into the horizontal position it never happened again. It is a design flaw in the console for sure though.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:07 AM   #8
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
When Gears 1 first came out, the game game stopped working for me after a few hours. I opened the tray and saw the disk had developed a thick circular scratch. I went a swapped it (assuming it was a manufacturing fault). Before I put the new disk in i checked and it was perfect. A few hours later the game stops working, so I have a look and the same circular scratch has appeared again.

I realized i had my 360 stood vertically on a carpet where it wasn't as stable as it probably should have been. I think that the problem is that on certain games, the disk motor can cause the console to wobble slightly and a design flaw means that this causes the disk to catch on the tray. Once I put the console into the horizontal position it never happened again. It is a design flaw in the console for sure though.
Having your system standing vertically was your first issue to begin with. You should never do this with any disc based system anyway. As gravity is going to work against you every time.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:12 AM   #9
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Having your system standing vertically was your first issue to begin with. You should never do this with any disc based system anyway. As gravity is going to work against you every time.
I agree but they should design the console to not stand vertically if it can cause damage so easily. Some time later i had a crappy old game and i wondered how quickly the 360 would damage it so i moved the console very slightly during loading, the disk was an instant coaster. The console design was flawed...still arguably the best console ever made though
Old 01-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #10
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
still arguably the best console ever made though
The Ford Pinto was a great little car, too. NOT.

The 360 had the RRoD (and for over a year no license transfer, creating all kinds of HILARIOUS problems for people with digital content), a disc-killing design flaw, and ran with the noise level of a small jet approaching takeoff speed.

It was a piece of shit. It had some great games, but no more than several other systems I can think of that were designed much more reliably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:48 AM   #11
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
The Ford Pinto was a great little car, too. NOT.

The 360 had the RRoD (and for over a year no license transfer, creating all kinds of HILARIOUS problems for people with digital content), a disc-killing design flaw, and ran with the noise level of a small jet approaching takeoff speed.

It was a piece of shit. It had some great games, but no more than several other systems I can think of that were designed much more reliably.
I'm well aware of all of the 360's hardware problems, it still had arguably the best library of games of any console ever.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:27 AM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolgar View Post
I've heard offhand a few people mentioning that their 360 ate a disk or two over the years. I have to wonder if it is from 360s being mostly vertical in ads and presentations, so folks were prone to use it that way, and any wobbling at high spin rates, or some other phenomenon.

The Red Ring of Death was certainly the more prominent "feature" of the console though.

I remember back in the rental scene, AGES ago, PS1 disks that were regular CDs were notoriously abused and scratched, so I went for a N64 cause you could rent a cartridge without those problems. PS2 DVDs were a lot more durable and I can't really remember a single disk being scratched over it's generation of rentals. Was all cartridge before that personally, I imagine Dreamcast and SegaCD had their share of CD quality scratches.

What's strange is this comes to the Supreme Court arguably after the 360 generation is over with. I guess that's law for you. Wonder when the original lawsuit was filed?
One of the big reasons why discs were being scratched was due, in part, to a simple demonstration/talking point video from E3 (or some event like that); they wanted to show off how the lights would automatically adjust when the console changed orientation (if you recall, the light ring around the power button was divided into four segments; they would light up in a specific order to reflect the number of controllers that were active). The console, of course, had to be on in order to demonstrate this; subsequently, people started changing the orientation of their consoles while it was on and/or had a disc in the drive. The disc would shift in the tray and get scratched because of this.

Basically, the majority of the scratches were caused by user error.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
...it still had arguably the best library of games of any console ever.
Sure, you can argue that. You could also argue for the quality of McDonald's burgers. You be wrong both times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:12 AM   #14
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
I'm well aware of all of the 360's hardware problems, it still had arguably the best library of games of any console ever.
Didn't the PS3 have nearly every great 360 game with better graphics and less chance of the machine melting into a puddle?
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:14 AM   #15
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Sure, you can argue that. You could also argue for the quality of McDonald's burgers. You be wrong both times.
I'll leave you to argue that ipad mortal kombat is some seminal title.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:15 AM   #16
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Didn't the PS3 have nearly every great 360 game with better graphics and less chance of the machine melting into a puddle?
No, not only did the xbox have better exclusives,multiplat games were almost always better too.

Tags
microsoft, xbox 360