Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Weekend Headbanger -...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 02:01 PM
9 Replies, 170 Views
Switch Lite Setup Issue
Last post by Major Dan
Today 12:00 PM
1 Replies, 85 Views
【WE'RE BACK!】RECENT GAME...
Last post by PacerDawn
Today 11:34 AM
6 Replies, 272 Views
A Total War Saga: TROY...
Last post by saulob
Today 08:37 AM
3 Replies, 367 Views
New Birds Of Prey Poster...
Last post by Sir_Smokes_Alot
Today 08:13 AM
11 Replies, 774 Views
Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 07:16 AM
5 Replies, 431 Views
Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 06:12 AM
7 Replies, 313 Views
Burma/Myanmar, where we...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 04:49 AM
27 Replies, 6,632 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2019, 06:50 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35,228
Blog Entries: 20
Resident Evil 2 Adds 'The Ghost Survivors' Mode on February 15th


Quote:
The Ghost Survivors is coming as a free update to #RE2 starting February 15th!

Explore “what if” stories of three unfortunate souls who never made it out of Raccoon City: The gunshop owner, the mayor's daughter, the soldier.

▶ No Time to Mourn
▶ Runaway
▶ Forgotten Soldier
Resident Evil 2 on Twitter.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:20 AM   #2
shadow763
Lord of Woe
 
shadow763's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,433
This could be pretty cool. Three short stories.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:28 AM   #3
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
This could be pretty cool. Three short stories.
Certainly can't beat the price, either.

The first few Resident Evil games are perfect for side stories like this. With what was happening within Raccoon City during the events of RE1, 2, and 3, it leaves plenty of room for interesting stories that don't focus on RE mainstays like the Redfields or Leon.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:15 AM   #4
Scherge
Evil Dead
 
Scherge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,467
Makes you wonder why they couldn't include this part of the game in the disc release. When it was announced before release, I thought it was some sort of "Mercenaries" or multiplayer mode, but this sounds like some singleplayer content that most retail customers would want included on the disc, especially so soon after release...
__________________
Buying games and playing games are two different hobbies.
Scherge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:46 AM   #5
AlfredT
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Makes you wonder why they couldn't include this part of the game in the disc release. When it was announced before release, I thought it was some sort of "Mercenaries" or multiplayer mode, but this sounds like some singleplayer content that most retail customers would want included on the disc, especially so soon after release...
Maybe it was buggy and needed to be fleshed out.. or more cynically, they held it back to garner good feelz and more incentive to buy the game post release
__________________
There are sharks in the water, and your mangina is bleeding heavily.
AlfredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Makes you wonder why they couldn't include this part of the game in the disc release. When it was announced before release, I thought it was some sort of "Mercenaries" or multiplayer mode, but this sounds like some singleplayer content that most retail customers would want included on the disc, especially so soon after release...
They likely started developing this add-on well after the main game was deep into development. Hell, they didn't even announce it until January 22nd, three whole days before the game was released. Since it's free, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume work didn't start on this until it would have been too late to include it on disc or in the main download.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:36 AM   #7
Scherge
Evil Dead
 
Scherge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
They likely started developing this add-on well after the main game was deep into development. Hell, they didn't even announce it until January 22nd, three whole days before the game was released. Since it's free, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume work didn't start on this until it would have been too late to include it on disc or in the main download.
You mean, because they're Capcom?

I kid, I kid, but as an old-school collector, these practices really irk me. It wouldn't be quite as bad if it was some tacked-on multiplayer mode, but from the description, it sounds like classic singleplayer content that I might like to play again in ten years, after buying my brand-new, backwards-compatible PS6 with external Blu-ray XD drive. Seeing how Sony kicks stuff from the PlayStation Store that I have to dig out of my download list (happened to me just recently with "Ridge Racer Type 4"), I'd prefer a fully disc-based option, especially for full-price games...
__________________
Buying games and playing games are two different hobbies.
Scherge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:19 AM   #8
Juan
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Makes you wonder why they couldn't include this part of the game in the disc release. When it was announced before release, I thought it was some sort of "Mercenaries" or multiplayer mode, but this sounds like some singleplayer content that most retail customers would want included on the disc, especially so soon after release...
They've clearly kept various things back to give away for free in order to hype the game and improve Capcom's reputation. It's a good strategy.

The game is amazing and the free content is very welcome. Capcom feel like they've reestablished themselves lately as one of the very best devs around.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:14 AM   #9
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
You mean, because they're Capcom?
I'd actually be more apt to criticize a company like Capcom, due to their old DLC practices of having the DLC actually be available on the disc; the "DLC" you purchased was ultimately just a key to unlock content that was already on the disc you bought.

Quote:
I kid, I kid, but as an old-school collector, these practices really irk me. It wouldn't be quite as bad if it was some tacked-on multiplayer mode, but from the description, it sounds like classic singleplayer content that I might like to play again in ten years, after buying my brand-new, backwards-compatible PS6 with external Blu-ray XD drive. Seeing how Sony kicks stuff from the PlayStation Store that I have to dig out of my download list (happened to me just recently with "Ridge Racer Type 4"), I'd prefer a fully disc-based option, especially for full-price games...
I completely understand where you're coming from and largely agree with the sentiment. Given the current state of development and how DLC is scheduled and developed, I'd be willing to bet this stuff wouldn't have been ready to include on the disc for the release date.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:02 AM   #10
Scherge
Evil Dead
 
Scherge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I'd actually be more apt to criticize a company like Capcom, due to their old DLC practices of having the DLC actually be available on the disc; the "DLC" you purchased was ultimately just a key to unlock content that was already on the disc you bought.
Yeah, that was kinda my point, hence the smiley.

I'm working for a publisher, and I fully understand that games are rarely "ready" for release. Either the developers want to implement some amazing feature they dreamt up at the eleventh hour, or some brand manager strikes a brilliant deal with a particular store that requires an additional master, or the sales team switches around pre-order bonuses, or IT insists on using an experimental copy protection, or a new online store requires the addition/removal of features (like achievements on the Epic Store).

As a professional, I understand all that. As a customer, however, I divide my games into categories like "to play casually" and "to collect". A remake of a fan-favorite classic falls into the latter category, and I'd expect it to hold the definitive version of the game, forever (or at least until an "ultimate" edition is released).

Sorry about the rant. This is just a pet peeve of mine, especially for Collector's Editions that lose part of their (perceived and actual) value the moment you have to use up a DLC code...
__________________
Buying games and playing games are two different hobbies.
Scherge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:06 AM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 35,228
Blog Entries: 20
My son has finished both the single player campaigns and is working on the Hard Mode now. He sure seems to be having a great time!
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:14 AM   #12
Juan
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
My son has finished both the single player campaigns and is working on the Hard Mode now. He sure seems to be having a great time!
I tried starting on the hard mode and gave in and went with normal. It was tough and having to reload on death to the last ink ribbon you used reminded me how far game design has come in the past 20 years!
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:13 PM   #13
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
I tried starting on the hard mode and gave in and went with normal. It was tough and having to reload on death to the last ink ribbon you used reminded me how far game design has come in the past 20 years!
Once I saw that the hard mode was bringing back the old typewriter ribbons, I promptly decided that normal was the right fit for me.

I ain't got time to manage limited saves, anymore.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:19 PM   #14
Orphiuchus
Evil Dead
 
Orphiuchus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,154
Man, I LOVED this game. I beat both A stories and claire's B story, did an S rank run to get the unlimited handgun. Enjoyed it hugely, and I can't wait for this DLC.

That said, hardcore is bullshit. Even with unlimited ammo nothing fucking goes down, and ink ribbons (so far) are too rare, I've had to start over completely 3 times. Also, in order to unlock the best few unlimited ammo weapons you have to S+ rank hardcore with no unlimited ammo weapons, which just doesn't sound fun. I would love to mess around with the rest of the unlimited weapons, but unlocking them doesn't sound fun.
__________________
USMC
Orphiuchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:12 AM   #15
Juan
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphiuchus View Post
Man, I LOVED this game. I beat both A stories and claire's B story, did an S rank run to get the unlimited handgun. Enjoyed it hugely, and I can't wait for this DLC.

That said, hardcore is bullshit. Even with unlimited ammo nothing fucking goes down, and ink ribbons (so far) are too rare, I've had to start over completely 3 times. Also, in order to unlock the best few unlimited ammo weapons you have to S+ rank hardcore with no unlimited ammo weapons, which just doesn't sound fun. I would love to mess around with the rest of the unlimited weapons, but unlocking them doesn't sound fun.
Man that sounds like bullshit. Just the first police station section is really tough on hardcore, you simply can't engage the zombies as you don't have the ammo. I will tackle hardcore after normal but screw trying to get S ranks on it.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
resident evil 2

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:26 PM.