Burma/Myanmar, where we...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 04:49 AM
27 Replies, 6,611 Views

Old 08-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

No Man's Sky BEYOND Launch Trailer

Our biggest update yet. No Man's Sky BEYOND arrives on August 14.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:39 PM   #3
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Way too little, way too late.

Too bad cause it could have really ushered in something great.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:02 PM   #4
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:11 AM   #5
Mozgus
Evil Dead

All these updates combined have made it a pretty damn good game. I dont get the "too little too late". I'm constantly playing games from 10 or 20 years ago. I'm not concerned about "too late". I just want a damn good space game and this has arguably become the best one out there.
Mozgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:28 AM   #6
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

So it's a free update?
.I'll probably pick it up and play it when Beyond is released next week.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:01 AM   #7
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post

Too bad cause it could have really ushered in something great.
Folks have been saying this after every major update, but they've really done a good job of improving the game with nothing but free updates.

People are still playing the game and everything they've added to the game comes with absolutely no additional cost. What's to complain about at this point?
Old 08-09-2019, 07:06 AM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
What's to complain about at this point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:17 AM   #9
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I haven't played it myself but my son really enjoyed the game and looks forward to these big updates. Maybe it's just too late for the curmudgeons.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:18 AM   #10
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Folks have been saying this after every major update, but they've really done a good job of improving the game with nothing but free updates.

People are still playing the game and everything they've added to the game comes with absolutely no additional cost. What's to complain about at this point?
It's not bad that they turned things around. And by most accounts they're actually encroaching the game they promised and more. They've done a commendable job releasing all of the free patches and updates that, from what I have read and heard, have improved the game quite a bit.

But my issues are two-fold.

1. I don't want to support the "release now, make an actual game over three years" model.

2. There have been so many quality releases since then, even if I wanted to play, the game is so far down my backlog rabbit hole, that I'd probably never get around to it.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Old 08-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
...they're actually encroaching the game they promised...
approaching?
Quote:
Old 08-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
If you never bought it, haven't played it, and never intend to play it...what is there to complain about? They're continuing to support the game three years later with major updates, all of which are available for no additional cost.

It's a completely different game from what it was at release.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:47 AM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

You asked "What's to complain about at this point?"

I answered.
Quote:
Old 08-09-2019, 03:08 PM   #14
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

It is rare to see a developer stick around and do the right thing. NMS is a pretty good casual game and is silly to think it will be anything deeper with expanded multiplayer and other doodads. I’m just happy these things are free because you can bet your ass if the launch wasn’t such a disaster they would have monetized everything and blocked modding.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:09 PM   #15
Arionuq
Death Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
It is rare to see a developer stick around and do the right thing. NMS is a pretty good casual game and is silly to think it will be anything deeper with expanded multiplayer and other doodads. Iím just happy these things are free because you can bet your ass if the launch wasnít such a disaster they would have monetized everything and blocked modding.
/agree. If you own it you loose nothing trying it, If you don't then the bitterness of the original release is meaningless. It is at this point a game that will definitely appeal to people who fall into a certain niche. I understand disliking "release now fix later" but the length and support they have put into this make it a different animal.
Arionuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:10 PM   #16
Romulex
Squire

I still enjoy the game personally, it has properly picked up itself in the past year. I still feel its more fun as a multiplayer or lets player's game, solo cant get a little repetitive after a couple of hours unless you have a large goal. Within the first 24 hours playing, I had built a reasonably large base and bought a starfleet with four smaller ships.

I still enjoy playing with friends, but it does get to a point where you feel like there is not much else to do, and then you realise there really isnt. Wish the game well in the future, and I might return soon. I put in 57 hours before I realised I was starting to get tired of what I was doing.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #17
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionuq View Post
I understand disliking "release now fix later" but the length and support they have put into this make it a different animal.
While I do appreciate what they're doing for their fans, and people who already purchased the game, I think that's the crux of my issue. I just do not want to support a game that has finally become a game 3 years after launch. I don't want to support that. I don't want the industry to make that the standard. It's already too heavily moving in that direction with "games as a service", which is just a nice way of saying "here's a shell of a game. We may or may not make it a game actually worthy of the dollars you spent on it over the next year or two.".

Old 08-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #18
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Also, it should be noted that NMS didn't drop price from their $59.99 tag to $29.99 until about 6 or 8 months ago.

So it isn't just out of the goodness of their heart they've been giving these updates out, they've been charging full price for the game, across all platforms, for the better part of it's lifecycle.

IIRC it was even full price on Steam (which means the measly 10% off at best, even during sales) until the last few Steam sales when if finally dipped down to 50% off where now it appears to have settled at $30 USD in the States.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #19
Primus
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozgus View Post
All these updates combined have made it a pretty damn good game. I dont get the "too little too late". I'm constantly playing games from 10 or 20 years ago. I'm not concerned about "too late". I just want a damn good space game and this has arguably become the best one out there.
Yeah, I don't get this mentality either. My buddy said the same thing when I suggested we check this out this week. I get not buying the game in a sorry state, but there's absolutely no reason to not play the game and support it once it has been brought to a good place. All you are doing is denying yourself a good game.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:50 PM   #20
vivafletcher
Evil Dead

NMS has become one of my favorite games. It's a great form of relaxation when you just want to unwind. It's become the game they promised and they keep adding to it.

Was it a huge letdown when it first came out? Sure. But from the very first update they made it an enjoyable experience. And they keep rewarding the buyer with more content, years after they made any money from you. They're the philosophical opposite of EA.

Definitely not too little and definitely not too late for me. If they never add a thing to it I got more than my money's worth, and I saw a company step up and do the right thing.
vivafletcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no mans sky