Old 02-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Nintendo Direct 2.13.2019

Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

No Animal Crossing. There, I just saved you a click.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:55 PM   #3
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Wow, this site is amazingly objective when reporting Nintendo news. A metric ton of good things in there. Instead, drop a video and highlight nothing.

1.Mario Maker 2 announce (people going apeshit over this already)
2.New Fire Emblem footage
3.A totally new Platinum Games project - looks fantastic - called "Astral Chain"
4.The Daemon X Machina demo dropped
5.Dead by Daylight and Hellblade announced, along with the definitive version of Dragon Quest XI, which lets you switch between 3D and old school 2D mode.
6. Zelda Links Awakening remake
7. Rune Factory 4 on the Switch. And even bigger - there hasn't been a new Rune Factory game since 2013. They dropped a total bombshell by announcing a brand new one in development coming to the Switch.
8. Final Fantasy VII and IX

Really solid direct. There's a bunch more in the direct as well, that I don't remember off hand. Basically they're dumping a bunch of games on us in the summer.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:55 PM   #4
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Nintendo fanbois are truly special.. omg you too can make even more 8 bit mario levels woohoo and play shitty jrpgs so exciting major happy fun time senpai! Anime magic special Nintendo!
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:30 AM   #5
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Really solid direct. There's a bunch more in the direct as well, that I don't remember off hand. Basically they're dumping a bunch of games on us in the summer.
A very weird thing just happened. I'm a jaded gamer. I have dozens of unplayed games for this console generation alone (hundreds if we add older gens), yet I always return to the games I already know. Too little time, too inflexible to learn anything new. I didn't own a Wii U and haven't bought a Switch so far, because I just know I won't use it much (for gaming on the go, I'm still trying to clear my backlog on the Vita, which I hope will be easier now that Sony has dropped support for it via PS+).

However: When I skipped through this video, I found myself actually wanting to play most of the stuff I saw. Well, not the ugly ports of Western games that seemed to run at 20 fps, but all that lovingly created anime stuff and maybe even that "Link's Awakening" remaster at the end. Even "Dragon Quest XI" looked better than I remembered it (got the box sitting unopened near my PS4). Maybe I'm not yet dead inside, after all.

I'm sure this condition will pass once I sit down and take a deep breath, but, damn: If that rumored Switch revision was available right now, I'd probably have bought it on the spot, along with "Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker" (which I've been eyeing ever since it came out on the Wii U).

@EvAv: Thanks for posting the video, even if you only meant to mock it!
Old 02-14-2019, 03:48 AM   #6
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I'm eager to play Link's Awakening. I never had a Gameboy back in the day and I always liked these smaller more whimsical Zelda games more than the more epic 3D ones. Aside from that, some stuff that looks good that I probably won't play for lack of time. My kids were pretty excited about Mario Maker 2 as well but once the original seemed to be about either auto levels or insane challenge levels, I personally lost interest. But I still like playing levels that my son proudly designed for me to try.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:00 AM   #7
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Quote:
Wow, this site is amazingly objective when reporting Nintendo news. A metric ton of good things in there. Instead, drop a video and highlight nothing.

3.A totally new Platinum Games project - looks fantastic - called "Astral Chain"
5.Dead by Daylight and Hellblade announced, along with the definitive version of Dragon Quest XI, which lets you switch between 3D and old school 2D mode.
7. Rune Factory 4 on the Switch. And even bigger - there hasn't been a new Rune Factory game since 2013. They dropped a total bombshell by announcing a brand new one in development coming to the Switch.

I'm all about the new Zelda. I never beat the GB version back in the day.

But everything else is hardcore MEH. My Switch hasn't been used in months.
Yet I don't care what weak sauce games NIN is trying to tout. MK11 is coming for Switch, which makes the purchase 100% worth it. Can't wait for that!

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:42 AM   #8
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Pretty sure people buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. Only two in there that really fit that bill, Zelda being the only one I would be remotely interested in. The rest I don't care about, have played a bunch of times already, or runs better elsewhere

The other consoles or PC are where you see the bigger releases for the first time looking and playing their best, so that tends to be highlighted more. I don't think it's bias so much as just how things are.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:08 AM   #9
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
Pretty sure people buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. Only two in there that really fit that bill, Zelda being the only one I would be remotely interested in. The rest I don't care about, have played a bunch of times already, or runs better elsewhere

The other consoles or PC are where you see the bigger releases for the first time looking and playing their best, so that tends to be highlighted more. I don't think it's bias so much as just how things are.
Actually I think you are seeing more and more people choosing the Switch release over PS4 or PC as they see more value in portability than they do in a few extra triangles. Graphical fidelity hasn't got many big gains left, and the games that can showcase the gains are few and far between.

I personally choose Switch versions of games quite frequently if I think it's something that could eat up hours on a flight or perhaps i can play in the living room while my child watches something shitty on tv. I see value in that, more so than it looking ever so slightly better but i can only play it when I have the living room to myself.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:12 AM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
No Animal Crossing... so, nothing to highlight.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:07 AM   #11
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post

Yah I'd echo Iran's sentiment there. Most of my friends opt for switch versions when they can. Not only for portability but the switch is actually starting to get better versions of games because they're selling better on the switch than Steam. See the definitive version of DQXI. The extra features are pretty darn impressive.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Old 02-14-2019, 07:11 AM   #12
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

All I want to know is when/if a new hardware revision of the Switch is coming out. Either confirm or deny this so I can go out and buy one! The gift cards have just been sitting there since Christmas mocking me!
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:17 AM   #13
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
A very weird thing just happened. I'm a jaded gamer. I have dozens of unplayed games for this console generation alone (hundreds if we add older gens), yet I always return to the games I already know. Too little time, too inflexible to learn anything new. I didn't own a Wii U and haven't bought a Switch so far, because I just know I won't use it much (for gaming on the go, I'm still trying to clear my backlog on the Vita, which I hope will be easier now that Sony has dropped support for it via PS+).

However: When I skipped through this video, I found myself actually wanting to play most of the stuff I saw. Well, not the ugly ports of Western games that seemed to run at 20 fps, but all that lovingly created anime stuff and maybe even that "Link's Awakening" remaster at the end. Even "Dragon Quest XI" looked better than I remembered it (got the box sitting unopened near my PS4). Maybe I'm not yet dead inside, after all.

I'm sure this condition will pass once I sit down and take a deep breath, but, damn: If that rumored Switch revision was available right now, I'd probably have bought it on the spot, along with "Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker" (which I've been eyeing ever since it came out on the Wii U).

@EvAv: Thanks for posting the video, even if you only meant to mock it!
He he he. He's getting it. Strip away the media hype, biases, ideas of "mature content" and focus on the raw mechanics of a puzzle game like captain toad, now with coop, wrapped in a charming enough skin to make Satan's heart grow 3 sizes that day. Behold! The magic of Nintendo lives and there is still genuine unique fun to be had on the medium! I have over 1000 steam games to play. Ive spoiled myself and nearly ruined the hobby for me. But frontiers of genuine gaming contentment and excitement still live. How many years has it been since you've been actually moved and maybe even a bit excited to find time to get back to a game? Buy a Switch. Nintendo magic is alive. It's alive Scherge, even for a crusty old petrified oak like yourself. Believe. *throws sparkly shit over your head*

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 02-14-2019 at 07:56 AM..
Old 02-14-2019, 07:19 AM   #14
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
No Animal Crossing... so, nothing to highlight.
Lol. I really do want a damn mainline animal crossing. That and Metroid Prime 4, now delayed for years, are the top of my list.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #15
shadow763
Lord of Woe

I could see people buying games again, but most games that are great on the road have already been out elsewhere for awhile.

I don't know anyone who has a switch that uses it for anything other than Nintendo properties, which as usual, are few and far between. A story as old as the N64.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:03 PM   #16
ascl
Developer

Weird. I have been playing my switch heaps lately, but not with any Nintendo franchises... I really couldn't get into Zelda, Mario was kind of okay... but indie games are killing it on that platform. I would much prefer to play on the switch than on steam for these kinds of titles! (Dead Cells, Shovel Knight, The Messanger etc).
ascl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:21 PM   #17
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I don't play the Switch by myself a ton (I usually play it with the kids) but I do enjoy the ability to put it into portable mode and play on the couch while my wife is watching TV or knitting or some other thing. Sometimes I'll load up a game and keep a hockey game on in the background too. It's just cool to have the freedom to play a higher end game somewhere other than our rec room. I've been finding myself wanting to play Skyrim on it just for that reason. I never finished it and it would be cool to know that I can put the requisite time into it without being off in a room by myself.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #18
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Actually I think you are seeing more and more people choosing the Switch release over PS4 or PC as they see more value in portability than they do in a few extra triangles. Graphical fidelity hasn't got many big gains left, and the games that can showcase the gains are few and far between.

I personally choose Switch versions of games quite frequently if I think it's something that could eat up hours on a flight or perhaps i can play in the living room while my child watches something shitty on tv. I see value in that, more so than it looking ever so slightly better but i can only play it when I have the living room to myself.
You may as well have just posted "I like paying full price for inferior ports cuz mobile." would have saved time. Nintendo zealots and their excuses hilarious.This thread has been comedy gold. Oh and you may wanna wipe the bit of Miyamoto off your chin Pat.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #19
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Nintendo fanbois are truly special.. omg you too can make even more 8 bit mario levels woohoo and play shitty jrpgs so exciting major happy fun time senpai! Anime magic special Nintendo!
1-99 Tetris. Battle Royale Tetris...Its so much fun, and its free.

If this doesn't excite you....Fuck you, ok. Your making shit up.

Quote:

Yeah ive been down on the Switch lately. This drug me back in. Yoshi is going to be fun, i never finished LA so that will be cool. Mario Maker 2 looks really good.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:18 PM   #20
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Mario maker 2
Fire emblem
Mech game with dumb name
All look good.

What happened to all the rumors about a switch with more ram? Was holding out on picking one up because I want more Ram .
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nintendo direct