PlayStation Announce New...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 06:18 PM
0 Replies, 149 Views

Old 05-18-2019, 06:35 PM   #1
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

And the new Batman is...

Fox News is reporting that Robert "Twinklin' in the Sun" Pattinson is slated to replace Ben Affleck as Batman in DC's cinimatic universe.

Quote:
Former “Twilight” actor Robert Pattinson will replace Ben Affleck in Warner Bros. upcoming film “The Batman,” according to multiple reports.

Affleck previously announced he would step away from the role of Batman after starring in “Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice” as well as “The Justice League.” Each film received negative reactions from critics and comic book fans alike. He was tapped to direct a standalone Batman film, but relinquished those duties to Reeves in 2017.

Sources tell Variety that Pattinson is the top choice to be the new Caped Crusader. He is expected to close on the deal soon with the film currently slated to hit theaters on June 25, 2021.
Normally, after Keaton did so well, I like to take a "wait and see" approach.

However, this time... have they lost their minds?
Old 05-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #3
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

I think Terran summed it up.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:01 PM   #4
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Fans: ZOMG Batfleck is the worse Batman ever!

Warner: Hold our beer!
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Here's the thing... when it was first announced that Heath Ledger was going to be the Joker, the fans just about had a revolt and then the guy won an Oscar for his performance.

I'm willing to say that on the surface, this sounds like a horrible choice, but I guess we should at least give him the chance to prove us wrong.

The only sad part is that I thought Affleck did a fantastic job as Batman. You might not like Batman v Superman or Justice League, but it wasn't because the actor playing Batman did a lousy job.

I suspect the only reason Affleck is getting replaced is his alcoholism, not his acting in the last two movies.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:53 AM   #6
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Yeah, when I first saw this I was not at all happy. Armie Hammer has long been rumored to be Batman as well, as he was cast as Batman back in the 00's in George Miller's cancelled Justice League film. But I have NEVER wanted him to get the role, either. And also the actor who plays Beast was on the short list as well. Meh. So out of those 3, somehow Pattinson is at least the best actual actor. His roles since Twilight have been pretty serious roles.

I remember when Affleck was announced, I was pissed. Then he ended up being the best Batman I've ever seen in film. Same with Heath Ledger; the Brokeback Mountain guy is going to be Joker? And it goes on and on, when Micheal Keaton got the role, fans sent thousands of letters asking WB to reconsider, it was a big drama, then he knocked it out of the park at the time.

Point is, I'll just wait and see. Twilight was dumb as hell, but every actor starts by making stupid shit. Whether it's crappy horror films, stupid romantic comedies, or teen vampire films, they eventually grow up. Basically I'm just going to wait and see. I'll go in blind, with no prejudice and just see how it turns out.

If he is terrible, though, I'll be one of the loudest people bitching about it!

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:16 AM   #7
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
I remember when Affleck was announced, I was pissed. Then he ended up being the best Batman I've ever seen in film.
Hahaha.. haha ha.. oh wait you were serious?
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:27 AM   #8
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Hahaha.. haha ha.. oh wait you were serious?
Totally, unequivocally, 100% I am dead serious. I know it has been "mainstream" and "popular" to shit on BvS (yet less and less so as time goes by), but that has become one of my favorite comic book films ever, by far. I don't even count Justice League because the Snyder version of it never came out, we got a piece of shit put together by a committee of clowns who don't know shit. So I guess I have to give you some goodwill if you are counting JL. But since I consider that film a Frankenstein piece of crap I only am looking at BvS, and he was insanely badass in that.

Don't get me started, I could literally talk about this forever due to the Injustice that took place with those films. I am pretty sure you don't want to hear it, not many people care about it as much as I do. Unless for some reason you are interested in the topic.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:48 AM   #9
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Robert Pattinson might be really good. He was great in The Rover and Lost City of Z. I never saw Twilight and it’s unfair to think of that series as his only work. Fans and media lost their minds when Mr. Mom was cast as Batman.

EvAv is right about Affleck being a liability because of his alcoholism. The studio’s insurance cost on him must have been astronomical. It’s a shame because he was good.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:16 AM   #10
Terran
Evil Dead

He's a terrible choice. He's a scrawny pretty-boy, and despite Batman's reliance upon gadgets and technology rather than just straight-up physical brawn, the reality is that film is a visual medium, and his 'visuals' are effeminate and weak.

He also doesn't have a natural fan base in this particular genre. Do you think his Twilight fans are coming out to see him as Batman? lol, I doubt it. Also, I doubt he can carry a major picture at this point. He's been in basically small independent stuff since Twilight and talks about the intensity of Twilight at that time as having been difficult to deal with. Oh yeah? Try a major motion picture like Batman, eh? How will you handle that kind of attention, eh?

They're rolling the dice big time here, and I think they have one chance in d20 of landing a hit.
Quote:
Old 05-19-2019, 07:11 AM   #11
Booda
Beam another Blast

Ha. Should pair nicely with either Hangover Joker or Hot Topic Joker.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:27 AM   #12
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
Totally, unequivocally, 100% I am dead serious. I know it has been "mainstream" and "popular" to shit on BvS (yet less and less so as time goes by), but that has become one of my favorite comic book films ever, by far. I don't even count Justice League because the Snyder version of it never came out, we got a piece of shit put together by a committee of clowns who don't know shit. So I guess I have to give you some goodwill if you are counting JL. But since I consider that film a Frankenstein piece of crap I only am looking at BvS, and he was insanely badass in that.

Don't get me started, I could literally talk about this forever due to the Injustice that took place with those films. I am pretty sure you don't want to hear it, not many people care about it as much as I do. Unless for some reason you are interested in the topic.
I may be in the minority on this I have no idea, but did people really think Christian Bale was that bad a Batman?
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:33 AM   #13
TheHulk
Evil Dead

He was unrecognizable in Lost City of Z and was very good. I think he'll be an ok Batman, probably because we'll all have very low expectations.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
I may be in the minority on this I have no idea, but did people really think Christian Bale was that bad a Batman?
Bale’s acting wasn’t bad, but the studio made bad choices with his voice. If you go back and watch Dark Knight again, it’s obvious that he can’t breath in the mask and he’s breathing through his mouth the entire time. You end up with a Batman that sounds like he has a cold the whole movie.

They did similar things in the other two movies to “modify” his voice and none of them worked.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #15
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

I'm good with it, he's actually done pretty good in other movies not named Twilight. I think people will be surprised. Not everyone will be happy, like everything, because that is impossible. I'm gonna do a wait approach. I was taken by at first but now I can see it. I thought the same thing about Pheonix as the joker, but now I'm stoked about it. Now Jared Leto as the joker, I'm still trying to forget about that one. I halfway blame the design and make up artists on that one.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
You end up with a Batman that sounds like he has a cold the whole movie.
The voice modulation is inexplicably ridiculous to me. I just don't understand why it has to be so over the top noticeable.
Quote:
Old 05-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

There are certain comic book things you should never try to explain. Secret Identities are one of them.

When I put on Glasses, people don't go "Where did Evil go?" they go "Oh, you got glasses." So, the idea that Superman can hide in an alternate ID as Clark Kent is just dumb. It works because it has to work because it's a comic book and we like to see a little bit of the character interacting in the real world.

Same with Batman/Bruce Wayne and even the other more masked heroes like The Flash or Green Lantern. When I put on a Flash Mask, my friends don't suddenly not know that it's me. (Yes, I've been The Flash one year.)

So doing the voice modulation was a bad idea, as was giving Bale a mask that he couldn't breath in.

It worked pretty good with Affleck's electronic voice in Batman v Superman, but it wasn't totally over the top.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #18
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

How many times have we done this? Give him a damn chance. He ain't Edward no more. Besides, not like anyone can match Arkham Batman in depth and execution.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #19
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

I'll bet they couldn't get Andrew Garfield and had to settle for their second choice.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:24 PM   #20
Chief Smash
Subscriber

I really liked the Affleck voice modulation for Batman. And he's probably been my favorite Batman so far too. The rest have either been kind of bland (Bale and Keaton) or just plain bad in my opinion. But I can't think of a single actor who would make a perfect Batman so I'm not sure how they can win here. They need to find a person who looks like the Animated Series Bruce Wayne and has Kevin Conroy's voice.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote