Burma/Myanmar, where we...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 04:49 AM
27 Replies, 6,603 Views

Old 05-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Pure Evil - Brightburn!

Heading out to see Brightburn from producer James Gunn and Writer's Brian Gunn and Mark Gunn.

While I think the trailer gives away most of the movie, I'm willing to give it a shot anyway. Hilariously, when I went to purchase my tickets not a single seat had been sold in the theater. I don't think that's a good sign.

I guess the live action Aladdin is soaking up all the eyeballs this weekend.

What are you watching this week (at home or in the theater)?
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:25 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Back! That was a fun little movie that lives up to the story potential, but the trailers just totally ruined the entire film. There is almost nothing in the movie not spoiled by the trailers.

Could have been awesome if they hadn't given away the entire movie in the trailer.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
medavidson
Peon

Was the theater empty? I hope not... We need more original (-ish) content.
medavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:18 PM   #4
Terran
Evil Dead

Doesn't seem original to me. Evil Superman. Never been there before. /s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #5
Azzy
Cthulian

I don't know anybody who's heard of this movie but myself. I think they're not working real hard on the marketing.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by medavidson View Post
Was the theater empty? I hope not... We need more original (-ish) content.
Mostly. There were only about four couples in the entire theater, but we went pretty early in the day. It's on track to make $10 million for the four-day weekend on a $7 million budget, so I imagine the studio is pretty happy with it overall.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #7
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Movie looks awesome to me, I'd go if I wasn't in Afghanistan. I like the idea, hopefully they'll make a second one when he's grown up!
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:54 PM   #8
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Wasn't there a similar "Superman goes bad" concept in a comic? Incorrigible or something? All I remember is it was an all-white character and would have been released within the last ten years.

Brightburn is original for film and for when it chooses the "go bad" time period. Not my kind of film but I give the Gunns credit for pursuing the idea.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:31 PM   #9
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
Wasn't there a similar "Superman goes bad" concept in a comic? Incorrigible or something? All I remember is it was an all-white character and would have been released within the last ten years.

Brightburn is original for film and for when it chooses the "go bad" time period. Not my kind of film but I give the Gunns credit for pursuing the idea.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:18 PM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:

Brightburn is original for film and for when it chooses the "go bad" time period. Not my kind of film but I give the Gunn's credit for pursuing the idea.
The all-white suit was Nemesis, which is Evil Batman. The Superman turns bad story they did was Irredeemable.

Which are both great comics and you should check them out. Brightburn seems to be mostly based on Issue #24 of the last Justice League run. Great issue if you like the Crime Syndicate.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:27 AM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I have to say that a day after seeing Brightburn, I really enjoyed the movie and I wish there had been more of it. There was a couple of scenes of gore and it could have probably used one or two more to kinda cement it in, but it's just about perfect as it is.

It reminded me of Chronicle. It's pretty much fine being a one-off film, but if they do a sequel that would be great too.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:54 PM   #12
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The all-white suit was Nemesis, which is Evil Batman. The Superman turns bad story they did was Irredeemable.

Which are both great comics and you should check them out. Brightburn seems to be mostly based on Issue #24 of the last Justice League run. Great issue if you like the Crime Syndicate.
The Superman turns bad comic is Injustice, which coincided with the Injustice video game. It's a great story.

Just got back from seeing Brightburn, and it was really fun! I especially liked the audience I was there with. It was about 75% full, and people were NOT prepared for what this movie is. They shrieked and yelped at the gore, which was hilarious. One person even walked out after a gory scene. I think a certain amount of people who go see this have no idea what they're in for. It is definitely an R rated horror film, with Superman origin story trappings. It's really cool!

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:03 PM   #13
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I really liked it.... my theater was also mostly empty. I think there is very little crossover audience sadly among people who like super hero do gooder movies and people who like horror/serial killer movies.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:51 PM   #14
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Quote:
You might be thinking of Supreme Power from Marvel comics back in the early 2000's. I read that series cover to cover when it came out.

"Alien Hyperion arrives on Earth as an infant, and is taken into custody by the US government and raised in a controlled environment... Discovering Hyperion has superhuman abilities, the government uses him as a secret weapon, and is eventually outed by the media. The government then announces and introduces Hyperion as a state-sponsored hero..."

I believe he becomes somewhat of a villain after finding out the US government exploited him, and that he is not human. Really good series.

MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:01 PM   #15
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Nemesis #1. Great series. Pretty much "Evil Batman".

Old 05-26-2019, 09:28 PM   #16
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Nemesis #1. Great series. Pretty much "Evil Batman".

Indeed.

It's a shame that Brightburn is rated R. What makes it rated R? Blood?
Old 05-26-2019, 10:20 PM   #17
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
It's a shame that Brightburn is rated R. What makes it rated R? Blood?
HA! Blood? Dude, you have NO idea. Blood.... *snicker* Oh, that's rich.

Why is it a shame? This IS NOT for kids. You might have nightmares as a grown man. It outdoes Hellraiser movies in some spots. It is Pure Evil.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:49 AM   #18
92miata
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
HA! Blood? Dude, you have NO idea. Blood.... *snicker* Oh, that's rich.

Why is it a shame? This IS NOT for kids. You might have nightmares as a grown man. It outdoes Hellraiser movies in some spots. It is Pure Evil.
Ok now I have to go and see this!!!!!

And Aladdin was not as bad expected. Granted I went with my girlfriends daughter but I was surprised it didn't suck completely.
92miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:27 AM   #19
Terran
Evil Dead

I had a blast at Aladdin. There were a few moments (the sped up imagery during the early chase scene, for one) that looked and felt off, but overall it was fantastically entertaining. Man, I think that's the best movie I've seen this year. Loved it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:09 AM   #20
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Why is it a shame?
I was hoping it would be something I could take my son and daughter to (she's 13). Kids these days are used to pretty much everything these days thanks to the interwebs, and especially Anime. Parents who think "I don't want my middle schooler hearing a lot of bad words!" somehow forget that they were middle schoolers once themselves.

For example, "The Purge" is rated R but it's a very tame R compared to other things. If they took out the blood and some of the cuss-words, it would be PG-13. So there are some R rated movies I think that would be fine for a teen, but there are also some that are still not fine.

And it sounds like Brightburn is one of the not-fine ones.

Ah well...

Tags
pure evil