Last post by LostToys
Yesterday 05:42 PM
2 Replies, 260 Views

Old 08-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Spider-Man reportedly out of the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Quote:
Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige won’t produce any further Spider-Man films because of an inability by Disney and Sony Pictures to reach new terms that would have given the former a co-financing stake going forward. A dispute that has taken place over the past few months at the top of Disney and Sony has essentially nixed Feige, and the future involvement of Marvel from the Spider-Man universe, sources said.

This comes at a moment when the last two films Kevin Feige produced broke all-time records — Disney’s Avengers: Endgame became the highest grossing film of all time, and Spider-Man: Far From Home this week surpassed the James Bond film Skyfall to become the all time highest grossing film for Sony Pictures.

Sources said there are two more Spider-Man films in the works that are meant to have director Jon Watts and Tom Holland front and center, though Watts doesn’t have a deal for the next picture. Unless something dramatic happens, Feige won’t be the lead creative producer of those pictures.

There is a lot of webbing here, but it all comes down to money, and it’s easy to understand why both sides refused to give ground. Disney asked that future Spider-Man films be a 50/50 co-financing arrangement between the studios, and there were discussions that this might extend to other films in the Spider-Man universe. Sony turned that offer down flat. Sources said that Sony, led by Tom Rothman and Tony Vinciquerra, came back with other configurations, but Disney didn’t want to do that. But Sony did not want to share its biggest franchise. Sure Disney would be putting up half the funding, but the risk is in how much you are going to make back in profit. Disney wasn’t at all interested in continuing the current terms where Marvel receives in the range of 5% of first dollar gross, sources said.
Deadline.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:55 PM   #2
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

So they’re gonna reboot Spider-Man again aren’t they.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
They are planning at least 2 more films with Tom Holland and I guess the negotiations with Disney are still ongoing. Disney only got 5% of the last two films and now they want 50/50. Seems fair, but Sony is having no part of it. I doubt they will want Spider-Man out of the MCU, so I imagine something will get worked out.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:44 PM   #4
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Disney could fart and find enough money to buy Sony outright. How long until they just say F it and go that route?

Get ready for the Disney Playstation 6!

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:50 PM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

Was there no sunset provision in their signing away their properties all those years ago when Marvel was near death? They were NUTS not to limit the length of such a contract. Nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:58 PM   #6
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
Disney could fart and find enough money to buy Sony outright. How long until they just say F it and go that route?

Get ready for the Disney Playstation 6!
If it was that easy they would, heck they'd buy Universal just in case they ever want to have a She-Hulk movie, but the FTC wouldn't allow it since they just got done buying Fox.
Sensei-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:43 AM   #7
EL CABONG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
If it was that easy they would, heck they'd buy Universal just in case they ever want to have a She-Hulk movie, but the FTC wouldn't allow it since they just got done buying Fox.
yes give it 5 or 10 years. Then maybe Disney could buy another big company.
EL CABONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #8
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post

Sony Vows To Give Every Person In Nation Chance To Play Spider-Man

Quote:
U.S.—As Sony seems to have taken back the rights to produce Spider-Man films, ending Tom Holland's run as the heroic web-slinger, the movie studio promised it would be giving every single person on the planet the chance to play Spider-Man at some point in the future.

Sony unveiled its plan to produce 330,000,000 new Spider-Man films, one for each person in the country so that everyone can see what it's like to the friendly neighborhood arachnid.

"Just when I was worried we would have the same Spider-Man for more than a few films, Sony and Disney seem to have solved that problem for us," said one woman as she ripped down the Tom Holland Spider-Man poster she has on her wall. "I really can't wait for my turn." She admitted however that she wants Keanu Reeves to get his chance before she does.

Critics praised Hollywood's creative efforts to ensure that we get as Spider-Man reboots than there are people in the nation.

"Thanks to the creative minds in Hollywood, we can enjoy a different Spider-Man every fifteen seconds, just as Stan Lee would have wanted," said one critic who writes for Serious Spider-Man fans, a Wordpress blog. "I'm looking forward to seeing my next-door neighbor Bob's take on the character, but to be honest, it's Steve Buscemi's Spider-Man trilogy that will complete me."

Sadly, Sony has warned the nation that it will soon run out of people to play Spider-Man and will be forced to retire the character after all 330 million people in the nation have had their turn at playing the character.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:25 PM   #9
vivafletcher
Evil Dead

Sony's property is so valuable partially because of its ties to the MCU. I don't see why they can't agree to 25 percent or something. I think 75 percent of MCU Spider-man is probably worth more than 100 percent (minus five percent of first-day gross) of separate Spider-man.
vivafletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:25 PM   #10
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

This is a bullshit move on the part of Sony and Disney. This iteration of Spiderman is so successful because of it's integration with MCU and a deal here could open the door to integration of other characters Sony owns with the MCU.

Like Venom being added to the R rated group with Deadpool movies.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I would totally watch Keanu Reeves as Spider-Man. He would be pretty awesome as the "adult" version married to Mary Jane.

They should totally do that for a Spider-Verse movie.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:40 PM   #12
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:09 PM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

Disney is run by bastards who fire American employees after forcing them to train their cheap indentured servant foreign replacements.

Rooting for Sony on this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spider-man