The Oscar Nominations...
Last post by PatrickRes9
Today 05:05 PM
49 Replies, 1,641 Views

Old 12-17-2018, 07:17 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Into the Spider-Verse Swings to the Top of the Box Office

Doing whatever a Spider-can includes climbing to the top of the weekend boxoffice chart, while Mortal Engines dropped straight to the middle of the charts without a net.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of December 14th to December 16th, 2018.
  1. Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse $35.4/$35.4
  2. The Mule $17.2/$17.2
  3. Dr. Seuss' The Grinch $11.5/$239.2
  4. Ralph Breaks the Internet $9.5/$154.4
  5. Mortal Engines $7.5/$7.5
  6. Creed II $5.3/$104.8
  7. Bohemian Rhapsody $4.1/$180.4
  8. Instant Family $3.7/$60.2
  9. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald $3.6/$151.6
  10. Green Book $2.7/$24.6
  11. Once Upon a Deadpool $2.6/$3.8
  12. The Favourite $2.5/$6.7

Looks like the $100+ million Mortal Engines is a massive bomb. I love Peter Jackson, but this one just looked like a big ball of CGI nothing.
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #2
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Looks like the $100+ million Mortal Engines is a massive bomb. I love Peter Jackson, but this one just looked like a big ball of CGI nothing.
It looks like a cool idea and an interesting world. But the cast looks completely bland.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #3
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
It looks like a cool idea and an interesting world. But the cast looks completely bland.
It looks like the sort of movie I'd end up buying on a whim when it's released on disc and probably enjoy the hell out of it. I just can't be bothered to drag my ass into a theater for it, especially this time of the year.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 12-17-2018 at 01:31 PM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
LostToys
Evil Dead

It is definitely one of those films you watch on a streaming service or get to show of your new fangled television. Definitely not something that you have to go to the theater to see.

Will likely go see Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse tomorrow night when Century Cinemas/CineArts have their half off ticket prices.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #5
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
It is definitely one of those films you watch on a streaming service or get to show of your new fangled television. Definitely not something that you have to go to the theater to see.

Will likely go see Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse tomorrow night when Century Cinemas/CineArts have their half off ticket prices.
I dunno, for me, this is exactly the kind of movie I go to the theaters for. Over the top CGI and action... yea, that's meant for the big screen.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
Grumsh
Evil Dead

It looks like another one of those tween movies most of us are getting sick of watching. Well I know I am sick of them.....

1:When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong.
Grumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #7
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumsh View Post
It looks like another one of those tween movies most of us are getting sick of watching. Well I know I am sick of them.....
The books are pretty good. I liked the story. Hester is an interesting character(in the books.. havent seen the movie). You will root for her, but also think to yourself "this women is one mean bitch.". Anyway was interesting reading her. To bad about the movie. I kind of knew it wouldn't be as good as the book due to Hester looking too pretty. haha Good old Hollywood....

But I never felt it was a teen story. Even though the main characters are teens. I guess maybe because there are so many adult situations and fucked up things that happen in the books. I just never thought of them as teens. Why I liked the books. Also there are really great adult characters.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #8
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMurdock_0311 View Post
I dunno, for me, this is exactly the kind of movie I go to the theaters for. Over the top CGI and action... yea, that's meant for the big screen.
The issue is these kind of movies are not that rewarding to watch. So if you are stuck in a subpar experience (like almost every time I have been to the theaters) due to people talking, audio being improperly calibrated, or the image being too dark, then you really can't enjoy the excess of the film.

While at home you can control everything about the viewing experience, including doing other things if the movie starts to get stupid and the only redeeming quality is some set pieces.

Based on the reviews, this is just not the type of movie that has a rewarding theater experience.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #9
Grumsh
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADxMrMike View Post
The books are pretty good. I liked the story. Hester is an interesting character(in the books.. havent seen the movie). You will root for her, but also think to yourself "this women is one mean bitch.". Anyway was interesting reading her. To bad about the movie. I kind of knew it wouldn't be as good as the book due to Hester looking too pretty. haha Good old Hollywood....

But I never felt it was a teen story. Even though the main characters are teens. I guess maybe because there are so many adult situations and fucked up things that happen in the books. I just never thought of them as teens. Why I liked the books. Also there are really great adult characters.
Oh, cool. I'll give the book a try then. I have been meandering over what's next when I finish Tesser (reemergence series).

1:When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong.
Grumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:14 AM   #10
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Watched Mortal Engines. It was pretty terrible, worse than expected. I struggled to stay awake, the friend I went with asked if we should walk out, but I wanted to try and see it through.

It was so extremely bland, and the main characters were just bad. Hugo Weaving was fine but he didn't save it. A lot of the CGI was good, but it just didn't matter. The script and main character (especially the main guy) were irritating. Many scenarios happen that are beyond dumb. At on point, the dude is handcuffed, the girl gets a gun, and from at least 10 feet away she lazily (without any care) aimed right at him and fired the gun, amazingly shooting the cuffs (of course), but it was cringe-worthy.

The only semi-cool thing was the zombie robot, but he wasn't used much. I should've seen The Mule or Spider-man.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #11
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

I think what we're learning here is that Peter Jackson really isn't some wizard with a golden touch. I know he didn't direct this...but attaching his name was supposed to elevate this movie...when he's really had very limited success outside the Lord of the Rings trilogy...
Old 12-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #12
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Spider-verse was fun. Not a perfect Spidey movie, but certainly different and interesting enough. And better than a lot of other movies with that name in the title.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:40 PM   #13
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

WTF guys I LOVED Mortal Engines!!! IT IS STEAMPUNK STAR WARS!!!!
Old 12-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #14
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
WTF guys I LOVED Mortal Engines!!! IT IS STEAMPUNK STAR WARS!!!!
But is it Steampunk Empire or Steampunk Last Jedi?
Old 12-20-2018, 07:44 AM   #15
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
But is it Steampunk Empire or Steampunk Last Jedi?
It's Steampunk The Ewok Adventure.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #16
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
I think what we're learning here is that Peter Jackson really isn't some wizard with a golden touch. I know he didn't direct this...but attaching his name was supposed to elevate this movie...when he's really had very limited success outside the Lord of the Rings trilogy...
Exactly. I've also always been puzzled how Peter Jackson got the job directing the Lord of the Rings films in the first place, because if you go back and look at his films prior to LOTR there really wasn't anything worthwhile. Especially nothing that would say "This is a man I want to trust with a huge multi-million dollar project that is to span across three films".
Old 12-21-2018, 06:27 AM   #17
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
Exactly. I've also always been puzzled how Peter Jackson got the job directing the Lord of the Rings films in the first place, because if you go back and look at his films prior to LOTR there really wasn't anything worthwhile. Especially nothing that would say "This is a man I want to trust with a huge multi-million dollar project that is to span across three films".
Aside from geeks, was there really any buzz that the franchise would become the monster hit that it was? I always had the impression that it took the general public a bit by surprise.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:05 AM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei-X View Post
He basically got the job because he was the one to start pushing the idea back in 1995.

Quote:
Aside from geeks, was there really any buzz that the franchise would become the monster hit that it was? I always had the impression that it took the general public a bit by surprise.
The trailer for Fellowship was the most-downloaded trailer at that point (all the way back in 2000), with 1.7 million downloads in the first 24 hours. I don't believe the trilogy's success was a complete surprise. This was before YouTube, so folks had to search it out and download it.

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart